• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Night's Black Agents: Countdown (demo encounter)

Kaodi

Hero
At this point Mace Hunter is thinking that it may be time to turn his attention to the rapidly approaching surface of the planet. It is a good thing that he can rely on DuBois to do some clean up while he worries about getting them parachutes.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
OOC: One thing that I am finding as I read the manual is that this system allows for, from my point of view, a lot more narrative freedom than other games. For example, if you want to say that you have a brace of throwing knives strapped to your chest, then you do.

Re-reading, I think I need to make it clearer. Compared to games like D&D or GURPS, where you have an inventory list, and if it isn't in the list, you don't have it, or if it hasn't happened, you can't make it up, GUMSHOE (which nights Black Agents is built on) allows the player much more control on making up backstory and such to justify what they are doing now.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: We're at the end of the second round, waiting for [MENTION=88980]71gamer[/MENTION] (Persephone) and [MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] (Dr. DuBois) to go. Posts 34 and 39 summarize the tactical situation. Dr. DuBois gets 3 points of Shooting back, and has a +1 (trust) on his next roll if he wants it. You guys are enthusiastically encouraged to grab narrative control and make stuff up; I'll holler if it ever needs to get changed. Since this is a spy movie, I'd be practically disappointed if you didn't do stuff that surprised me.

I am finding this tremendously fun. Thank you, all of you.

(Technical note: I am technically handling Trust wrong, but that's only because this method is much simpler for me to track and has the same effect. GM prerogative!)

I'll be gone all day tomorrow. If possible, let's finish this round today and I'll update on Sunday. We're running out of time before that missile goes...

Oh, one more thing. If you think of it, please don't include your .sig when you post. It makes the thread a little more difficult to read. Thanks!

Walking Dad

First Post
Du Bois uses the blast wave of the explosion to dive below the last thug. The camera angle shows him from below as he lets one pistol go to grab his jacket and unfold it, giving him just enough updraft to come up behind the surprised man. As he hits the thugs head with the pistol handle, the view changes to x-ray and the spectator sees a broad needle like device coming out of the handle and punctures the stunned man's brain. The doctor grabs the body, not willing to loose the last chute.

OOC: spending hand to hand for Feint. Called shot for the head. Spending 2 weapons on the attack +1 trust
weapon attack (1d6+3=6)
not sure how to roll the damage.
Could I some how declare that his next shot is tracer/burning ammo, able to set a chute on flame :devil:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: Weapon damage is usually a d6, and you rolled a 4. Alas, poor mook, we hardly knew you. For tracer/incendiary ammo, make a Preparedness check at a TN of 3 and you've got it! The number is usually 4, but as a wetworker you're more likely to have some than anyone else. Also, I love the image, and style goes a long way. [MENTION=88980]71gamer[/MENTION] 's turn next, then round 3. (Edited for pre-coffee goof)

Dr. DuBois grabs the dead Peruvian in one long-fingered hand, sliding the poison syringe back and holstering his pistol almost by reflex. The man and the corpse spin in mid-air, corkscrewing, and the good Doctor begins to slide the thug's lifeless limbs out of his parachute. Interesting, thinks DuBois. Not only are these men Peruvian, they're all from the same village... in the Andes, unless I miss my guess. Note the adaptations to high altitude exposure and the characteristic signs of a relatively isolated breeding pool. They have had basic bodyguard and combat training, not that it helped them much, all in the distinctive style of the French espionage corps. Probably personally trained by the young lady. She could have done a better job.

DuBois considers her for a moment. He didn't get a great look, but he knows medicine, and she seemed to be wearing padded clothing to disguise a near skeletal degree of emaciation. He'd guess cancer if he had to, although neither that nor anorexia jibed with her clear vivacity and levels of energy. Something is wrong. Drugs, perhaps. And her physical condition didn't explain why she was willing to kill a man and jump out of a plane to get that phone.

Last edited:

71gamer

First Post
OOC: Sorry, was camping for a long weekend. I will finish up my round in the next hour after getting caught up, and will be a heck of a lot more connected the rest of the week!

Remove ads