Night's Black Agents: Countdown (demo encounter)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gabriella spirals down through the sky, targeting reticule on her glasses tracking the phone as it tumbles through the air. Frankly, this would be a lot more fun for her if Hung-Ke was here with her instead of Mace.

OOC: That's where it begins. Filch check to catch the phone. Assuming you succeed, H-K gave you a gizmo to slap onto it that does some sort of hacking thing. You still have that?

OOC: Well, of course I still have the gizmo. Hung-Ke entrusted me with it, and that's the sort of behaviour I'm trying to encourage!

But, um, I've been spending Filch pretty heavily so far this scene, and I have only one point left. What I'd like to do here is trigger a Filch Refresh with a TFFB from a flashbacked Electronic Surveillance spend... cool?

A week ago...

"I'm not saying they aren't functional," Gabriella insists. "Just that the frames are completely wrong for the shape of my face. See, aren't these much better?"

She slips off the Google Glass eyewear, and replaces it with a pair of her favoured Louis Vuittons. She leans in close to Hung-Ke - in and down, just a little lower than was really necessary even with him seated at his console - and dares him to disagree.

"So if you could just do your thing and move all the electronics from there to here, I'd really appreciate it..."

After a moment that lingers an awkward second too long, she stands back up... and then crowds closer again to perch on the edge of Hung-Ke's chair. ... well, on his thigh, really, since the chair isn't big enough for two.

"Oh, and I've done some refinement of the Tracking Lock algorithm." She calls up a source file from the server and begins highlighting her changes. "There's a predictive element now, so it doesn't just caret where the target is, but where he most likely will be. Makes calculating lead distance automatic, rather than something you need to do in your head... still needs some field testing, but it feels pretty solid to me so far..."

-----

As the phone tumbles below her, Gabriella tightens her delta track to increase her speed, and switches her targeting to Predictive Mode to ensure she doesn't miss the catch...

OOC: So if the investigative spend can give me some Filch back, I'll spend what I need to hit the TN to catch the phone!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: Investigative spends will gain you +3 on a General Ability roll, if you can justify them -- and you do a beautiful job. Good scene.

And as easily as a casual grab from a rich executive's suit pocket, the phone slaps neatly into Gabriella's outstretched palm. She grins down at it, and so can't help but notice that the ground seems much closer than she'd really expected it to be.

You have time this round to either pull your rip cord or slide H-K's device onto the phone. Which do you choose?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And like a rich executive's wallet sliding out of a suit pocket and into her own, the phone slaps neatly into Gabriella's outstretched palm. She grins down at it, and so can't help but notice that the ground seems much closer than she'd really expected it to be. You have time this round to either pull your rip cord or slide H-K's device onto the phone. Which do you choose?

One advantage that the original Google Glass frames had was that they didn't occlude the top half of the altimeter readout on the HUD. But there are sacrifices that must be made for fashion. It's not clear if that first digit is a '6' or an '8', but Gabriella's pretty certain it's an 8. Almost 100% confidence.

That would mean there's still time before minimum safe altitude, but WWIII is approaching even faster than the masts of those extravagant and overpriced superyachts moored in Port Hercule below (although should the cars on the Grand Prix track be looking quite so large just yet?), so Hung-Ke needs those codes now.

She slaps the widget into the phone's micro-USB port. "Hung-Ke? I have the codes... I'm uploading to your... malparido! 'Outside the coverage area', chuchamadre! Persephone, are you near Hung-Ke? What's the number for your phone? I'll send to you... huh, and maybe there's a bonus here..."

OOC: I know Persephone's a little busy right now, but Gabriella doesn't. On the other hand, Persephone's already passed her phone on to Hung-Ke, so all she needs to do is recite some digits!

What I'm looking for is a point of Trust from Persephone - I have the Data Recovery skill but no points left, so I'd like to use the Trust point as an Investigative Spend for some additional information from the phone on top of the Abort Codes. What springs to mind is the IP address of the cloning device Elena used, and perhaps the login and password she used to access it from this phone - so that if she gets away from Felix and his incendiary pistol, Hung-Ke can track her gadget later... and possibly even log on to it and change a few numbers around.

And next round, I can pull the rip cord. There's probably plenty of time.

Kaodi

Hero
OOC: Preparedness: 1d6+2=5. Hope that is enough for what I am going to try.

Mace spares one last moment to glance towards Elena as she streaks further and further away. That intense glare of hatred and lust all mixed together was almost intoxicating, and for a moment he wondered if he filled himself with that he would feel something real again. Not something good, no definitely not good. But real. But the thought was fleeting. The spy turned his attention back to the last free parachute and angles himself towards. He dispossesses the dead henchman of his life-saver. Elena would have to wait.

But not for long.

FLASHBACK

Everything had gone horribly wrong. The Brits had botched the takedown of the IRA cell. Over two dozen people had died. Catriona had died. Her children had died. Mace Hunter had died, at least inside.

His wits had not entirely left him, even in his grief. Mace put together a disguise and chartered a small cargo plane to get him off the Isles. But somehow they had known. The plane was flying over the Irish Sea when they made their move.

There were four in total: two men who were supposedly cargo handlers and the two pilots, who had switched the flight controls to auto. They came at him pretty much all at once, and bereft of any weapons he was only able to kill one of them before being subdued, even with his superior hand to hand training. Then they opened the hatch and just tossed him right out into open air.

By rights he should have been killed when he hit the water, but the plane was flying low to obscure the drop and fate intervened. He woke up a week later in a tiny hospital on the Isle of Man. They told him that he had washed up on shore one morning, almost dead. Mace stayed there just long enough to recover, and then he left. The IRA must have thought he was dead, because he did not have any more trouble with them after that.

One thing was for certain though: that was the last time Mace Hunter got on a plane while on the job without some insurance.

END FLASHBACK

The camera is below Mace, looking up, zoomed in so that only the spy and the now liberated parachute are hanging in the air. Mace is spread out now to maximize wind resistance. Suddenly the pans to centre on the parachute, and then back to Mace. To the discerning observer it is immediately apparent that something is up, because the spy is not grabbing for it.

The camera zooms in slightly so that only Mace is visible. The spy quickly sheds his coat and his sweater before undoing his belt and kicking off his pants. Underneath he is wearing something else: a deep, deep red nylon suit of some kind. He then reaches off screen and pulls the parachute back into view, deftly slipping it on.

Mace looks up over to DeBois and says with a grim smile, "I best not keep my date waiting." And then he reaches up to draw two pull cords on his chest. But they are not on the parachute, they are on the nylon suit. The spy stretches out his arms and legs and with a light swoosh nylon flaps spread out between his arms and body and between his legs, inflating slightly. Fortunately the bullet he took in the leg does not appear to have hit any vital working parts. And now Mace Hunter may not be a bird or a plane, but he is the next best thing after Superman: a super spy with a wingsuit.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Quinn takes a quick look around the room, taking stock of the people in the room and considering blast patterns of the various minor explosives (disguised, of course) that he had set up on the equipment around the room. Crap...pretty much any explosive there would result in some collateral damage. Oh well, when in doubt, bluff big.

Quinn steps back a minute and shrugs off his jacket, revealing what anyone who has watched any amount of news on the troubles in the middle east or in the various "-istan" countries would recognize as a explosive vest.

"Your fists may trump my gun boyo" he says as he drops his gun to the floor, "but I am certain that this vest trumps your fists. So, the question is" as he stalks closer to the thug, "how good are you at disabling explosives?" As Quinn takes another step, he pulls at something in his vest, and a LED starts flashing.

OOC: I assume a spend of 1 to have the vest prepared is what I would have to do. Also, I am looking up Streetwise and Intimidation to see which would be appropriate for giving the impression that I am ready to die. Will add more as soon as I figure out which I should spend, or if it is even necessary.

OOC: It is intimidation, so I will be using a spend of 1 intimidation to intimidate the goon in front of me to leave.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
OOC: I assume a spend of 1 to have the vest prepared is what I would have to do.

OOC: Preparedness is a General skill, so it's a Simple Test (1d6 + spend vs GM-determined TN) rather than a straight spend like you'd do with an Investigative skill. Unless, like Persephone, you can just declare a success once per session with your MOS! So if the GM calls it a TN of 4, you can roll (50% chance), spend a point of Mechanics (since Ashcan can use Mech-for-Prep) and roll (67% chance), or just decide you don't want to risk blowing it and spend 3 points of Mechanics for a guaranteed success (since even a 1 on 1d6 will total the TN with a +3).

What I've done a couple of times already is to tell the GM "Here's what I want to do - spend as much as I need to guarantee it", which helps speed things up in a PbP, but also left me nearly tapped out of Filch when I needed to make another Filch test!

mudbunny

Community Supporter
OOC: My MOS is explosives, would me using my MOS to have the vest ready work? If so, I will use my MOS. If not, I will spend the 3 mechanics to get the vest.

Last edited:

71gamer

First Post
OOC: I'm going to have to respond in the AM, but is there some way I can roll an athletics to pop the service hatch and get through it before the mangled fanged beast cozy in the elevator with me can get all up in my sh$$?

Also, I like the IdEA OF leaving a grenade behind, is that feasible?

Remove ads