Night's Black Agents: Countdown (demo encounter)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
OOC: Mace, that was spectacular.

Gabriella, thank you for providing Monaco (and the appropriate level of snark)! Persephone can read off her phone number, even if she's the tiniest bit distracted. Trust points can't be used as investigative spends, as they apply to General Abilities - but I'm not going to be too fussy, especially considering that H-K knew what he was doing when he rigged up his little data vacuum. If there is additional clues involved with the phone, you'll hopefully grab enough data to look at them later. EDIT: nope, I'm mistaken! Totally legit. Huh, learn something new every day.

Quinn, what a great idea, and it's even easier than you think. Your intent, I think, is to intimidate -- and the system doesn't care whether you're snarling at someone or showing off your extremely terrifying vest. Especially considering that explosives is your niche, I think it's totally reasonable that you've had it there the whole time. If you want to use it, however... So here's the deal. If you want to terrify the thug in front of you into surrendering, that'd be an Intimidate spend. If you want to get the other thug out in the hall, spend two Intimidate points (I think you have two.) You can't substitute in H-K's thug, as the guy is distracted and doesn't see you. Finally, if you want to use your Explosives MOS, you could do cool stuff like have the vest be made of shaped charges that incinerate people near you but (hopefully) don't kill you in the process. You certainly know how to make that sort of device. Let me know how you want to approach it and I'll handle things accordingly.

Persephone, I'm sorry I'm kind of a dick. :D In exchange for separating you from your team, I'll give you a free 3-point refresh of any pool you like. Grenades are generated with Preparedness (Target Number 4) and thrown with athletics (only a TN of 3 if you're leaving one behind. Feel free to leave it somewhere good.) Athletics or explosives would also help you dodge the blast, and you can use Athletics to pop the hatch and get yourself the heck out of the elevator car (TN 5, slightly harder than normal.) Don't forget to call on trust if you need it, describing how it happens. And as always, as has been said about the character, there's no need for Persephone to act when she can retro-act. Flashbacks and preparedness exist to serve you, so you have some fun options either way.

The mysterious woman doesn't see Mace approaching. She's putting distance between herself and the other agents, as is reasonable, but Mace is swooping in from behind and able to move far faster laterally than she can.

OOC: DuBois, if she was in fact trained by the same people who trained you, you may be able to tell Mace at precisely what altitude she'll pull that rip cord. If you do, it may help his timing.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
OOC: Persephone can read off her phone number, even if she's the tiniest bit distracted. If there is additional clues involved with the phone, you'll hopefully grab enough data to look at them later.

OOC: Rock. Hung-Ke, expect a data dump to Persephone's backup phone any second now.

Walking Dad

First Post
DuBois finally understood the strange familiarity with the womans movement. "Wait for it... now!" He calls at Mace. The screen splits, showing both the ripcords of the Frenchman and Mace's old acquittance and them pulling it at the exact same time.
DuBois admires the con man's foresight to bring a wing-suit. All he maged was to bring some tracer mounts, to signal a retraction point... but they could be useful for get things burning, too.

OOC: Preparedness for tracer ammo (1d6+1=3)
He got the tracer ammo.
Giving Mace 1 Trust
Pull the cord with the woman

Pools:
Athletics 6
Shooting 3
Hand to Hand 0
Weapons 6
Preparedness 0

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Hung-Ke sets the thrown chair upright before the least-obsolete computer in the room - then thinking the better of it, kicks it rolling towards the advancing thug before leaning over two keyboards.

"I don't have any more time to wait, muchacha," Lee says wistfully to himself. With one keyboard, he accesses the botnet waiting for the connection to Gabriella's device. Once she's patched into the phone, it should transfer the codes to the telemetry program he has opened with the other keyboard.

OOC: I will spend the last of my Weapons pool. I am assuming my Digital Intrustion MOS will get the job done once i need it to. If not, let me know what tasks I need to accomplish.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
OOC: 2 points of Intimidation it is then combined with my MOS to make the vest be out of shaped charges that don't leave me as nothing more than a red stain and some socks.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hung-Ke disdainfully kicks the rolling chair across the room, and the charging thug leaps over it--and misses. His foot hits the seat, the backrest catches him mid-shin, he loses his balance, and all that momentum carries him forward towards the tile. He doesn't get his hands in front of him in time. The crunch of bone hitting Formica is satisfying, and the semi-conscious thug turns out to be a lot more interested in weeping and rolling around, clutching his face, than he is in hanging on to that pistol.

Unexpectedly pushed back by the impact, the office chair rolls to a stop at Hung-Ke's feet. He looks at it, raises an eyebrow, and sits down as Persephone's spare phone beeps. "Ten seconds," the hacker's old phone warbles from where its been kicked under the console, but the hacker doesn't even hear it. He's busy typing.

Across the room, Ashcan Quinn stands smiling at the burly man in front of him. The LED on Quinn's vest blinks quite merrily. "Are you INSANE?" bellows the Russian. "You vould kill yourself, and your friend, and launch that missile!" He makes up his mind that Ashcan is bluffing, raises a fist with a small sharp knife in it, and then meets Ashcan's gaze.

They stare at each other from three feet away, the tall muscled tattooed mobster and the spry, elderly Irishman. They look into each other's eyes, and they take a measure of what the other is capable of.

The mobster breaks first. He quite deliberately tosses his knife and gun away, puts his hands behind his head, and says, "You are a crazy old man. I surrender." And then he sits down on the floor.

The other thug is coming through the door when this happens. He sees the vest, backpedals like mad, and runs for the exit. Quinn can see him punching the elevator button five times in rapid succession, giving up, and dashing for the door to the stairs down. The slam echoes through the space, and the only sound is of thugs groaning and Hung-Ke's madly typing fingers.

"Five seconds."

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The parachute unfolds with a FWUMP, and Dr. DuBois is gracefully circling through the air. Far above him he sees the one remaining Peruvian, probably hoping to land somewhere inconspicuous. Below him he sees sea birds wheeling over Port Hercule. Gabriella seems to be falling to her death, and Mace Hunter in a wingsuit is chasing the deadly spy who brought everyone to this impasse. Somewhere far away, Persephone is swearing. Nuclear war is due to break out in less than five seconds.

It is a pleasant afternoon, all things considered.

Far below Dr. DuBois, a gorgeous yacht races through the water towards the parachutists, one man at the helm. DuBois judges it likely that this is to be the female spy's ride back to shore. The late afternoon sun glinting off the ship's glassed-in wheelhouse shows a refraction pattern consistent with bulletproof glass, but the top of the wheelhouse has its canvas rolled up and is open to the air. No one, it seems, remembers that fights usually occur in three dimensions. Even from this high up, DuBois can see the man's receding hairline open to the French Riviera sun.

OOC: Doctor, you have a clear shot if you choose to take it.
Mace, how do you want to handle your approach?

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Mace, quickly closing the distance between himself and Elena, looks for a trajectory that will allow him to circle the woman as she falls. If there is one small downside of having his wingsuit deployed, it is that it limits the arm movement needed to point his gun.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mace, quickly closing the distance between himself and Elena, looks for a trajectory that will allow him to circle the woman as she falls. If there is one small downside of having his wingsuit deployed, it is that it limits the arm movement needed to point his gun.
She's pulling her rip cord. Based on Dr. DuBois' shouted advice, you can catch her easily if you close and grapple with her right now. If you wait until that chute deploys, you're going to be out of luck.

71gamer

First Post
Persephone NEEDS to get out of this elevator. Whatever it takes, this was a huge job, there are lives in the balance, and, most importantly, she CANNOT let Mace down. MACE! (spending that point of trust). Her hand hand drops to her side, and feels the detonator Mace handed her when preparing for this mission: 4 Preparedness, 1 trust (1d6+4+1=6)!

She steps up to the bloody mess on the floor, and, after thumbing 15 seconds onto the countdown timer and hitting START, slams the small explosive into the gaping cavity in the creature-formerly-known-as-Eschenko's head. 3 Athletics, grenade skull cavity slam (1d6+3=8)

"Eschenko, it's been real, but I have a mess to clean up...and you're about to be a mess"

She looks up at the elevator access hatch, knowing she only has 15 seconds to get VERY clear of this soon-to-be ex-elevator. 4 Athletics, hatch leap (1d6+4=8) Persephone leaps and pushes the door with her palms, positioning her weight perfectly and sends her feet through first. Her years of physical training in UNIT have never paid off like this, her lithe figure slipping through the 2-foot square with graceful ease. (is this OK for an athletics refresh?).

Persephone is intent on getting out of the blast zone, but a thought keeps disturbing her, what the HELL was that in the elevator?

OOC: Oh man, I am a big fan of spending all my points. I took your 3pt refresh and applied it to Athletics, since that's pretty much all I am doing. Preparedness for the grenade, Athletics to jam a grenade in a vampires head, and athletics to leap through the access panel. I did my athletics refresh in order to have a few extra points to apply to a roll to evade the explosion and hopefully snag an access ladder in the process.

You aren't being a dick, you're being a good GM =) This kind of thing isn't fun if we aren't risking our lives! I almost :):):):) when I realized I was trapped in an elevator with what seems to be a vampire,,,,

Remove ads