• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Night's Embrace: Part 1--A Touch of Darkness

Rystil Arden

First Post
Legildur said:
RA, I'm trying to reconcile Blunt's experience point awards. I had 150xps from the initial fight with the summoner (before the big EnWorld crash of 2006), and nothing since then. Did I miss the award for the most recent battle with the summoner? (on a side note, I'm trying to recall how Blunt had 5 hps before the day's rest..... I thought he was only on 1... but happy to be shown how wrong I can be).
XP at 150 is correct. The other group had someone who spoke Abyssal and was awake so they got the XP immediately, but I forgot that you didn't. You'll get the next installment in a lump sum very shortly :) As for HP, is that from healing? I thought you were stuck at 1ish also, +1 from rest?

jkason

First Post
I think I've never been so happy to level up before. Questions as I work on the crunch:

Do we have to go through "training time" for taking the next level in our same class or ranks in skills we already have?

How do you want HP to work (roll, average, etc.)?

Since it sort of matters in this case, specifically, do our new HP pile onto our existing current HP, or do we merely increase our max possible HP and have to wait to "heal up" to that new max?

thanks,

jason

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: No training required unless you take something new that you didn't have already and nobody in the party can teach you, which then requires finding a trainer. HP is generally piled on, but I typically won't give XP in the middle of fights so you won't have to worry about the mysteriously regenerating combatants issue with that. Roll HP and take half rounded down if you don't beat that (so for d6, roll and take 3 if you get 2 or 1))

Jolmo

First Post
Getting half as minimum means Shan wakes up after all. :) Everyone else is crowded in Blunt and Titus room I guess?

Legildur

First Post
Blunt now 2nd level and character sheet updated. And thank goodness for your HP policy as Blunt also rolled a 1! Hopefully Blunt will now be able to contribute a little more effectively as he just picked up the Improved Trip feat. With his extra skill ranks, and with synergies kicking in, his maneuverability has also improved.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Legildur said:
Blunt now 2nd level and character sheet updated. And thank goodness for your HP policy as Blunt also rolled a 1! Hopefully Blunt will now be able to contribute a little more effectively as he just picked up the Improved Trip feat. With his extra skill ranks, and with synergies kicking in, his maneuverability has also improved.
I hate rolling a 1 or 2 on a high dice and gritting as the party Wizard snickers with more HP, so I'm glad to provide an HP policy that prevents this :)

Legildur

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I hate rolling a 1 or 2 on a high dice and gritting as the party Wizard snickers with more HP, so I'm glad to provide an HP policy that prevents this :)
A 1 or a 2 is like a death sentence for a melee type, as that means you are usually under spec against challenge rating appropriate encounters. It usually means that the warrior starts playing the coward for a level or two until it averages out. In our live games we get to reroll, but you must take the second roll if you do.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Legildur said:
A 1 or a 2 is like a death sentence for a melee type, as that means you are usually under spec against challenge rating appropriate encounters. It usually means that the warrior starts playing the coward for a level or two until it averages out. In our live games we get to reroll, but you must take the second roll if you do.
That averages out about the same, but it still leaves the possible for a double whammy (or even more frustrating--a 2 that rerolls into a 1 :()

Remove ads