• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No due process of law this is theatrical law

Status
Not open for further replies.

judith brison

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I agree that the sooner this is done and the media forgets, the better, but unfortunately there is a significant appetite for this kind of coverage.

I saw today that the Bahamas is experiencing a tourism boom due to Anna Nicole's death and the trial.

Things like this and other similar events really make me wonder about human society.
When Patty Hearst was supposedly kidnapped by the SLA what happened? Her father Mr Hearst solicited a writer from atlanta newspaper to go to work for his paper. Newspaper sells were high during this time and writers for this was very important.

What happened to patty hearst? she spent limited time sitting and going through court appearances and then ended up marrying her body guard US Federal Marshall Shaw. Last i knew he worked for the Hearst business.

With big money it would just be nice to know when they are going to do something and when to stay home and out of their way? as a result those four young men are dead. Did i say hearst created this for whatever may have been a purpose for politics or banking or whatever? No! but it did seem strange that the banks robbed were people that Patty Hearst's father knew. If you recall?

So should we be asking the big money in US or the President of the United States what we should be doing to help? and what direction we are headed?

Too many crazy things going on in society today. Professors in our Universities and Colleges that are recreating to prepare for their Phd? and to think they are teaching this theory in our schools. what does this have to ay about the State Government for allowing it? do taxpayers have rights? This is taxation without representation?

You are all right on this entire issue and i applaud all of you. Plus the humor you have a good mind to life.

judith brison

Harmon

First Post
JB,

I wrote a little piece here on how I sympathize with you and all that Anna's family is going through, then I started re reading some of what you wrote and realized- that my sympathies need to go elsewhere.

Sorry for the post. Sorry that a light was dashed, and a child is without a mother.

Last edited:

Torm

Explorer
judith brison said:
It is what the federal government has failed that we now must take responsibility. Just as in our public libraries. <snip> To get back some respect of self and society?
I wouldn't qualify it as a failure - the government is not supposed to protect us from ourselves. If it has failed in any respect, it is that it has done things that lead people to believe otherwise.

Once a knowledge is out of the bottle - from something as grand as quantum mechanics to something as banal as tabloid television to something as both incredibly helpful and potentially dangerous as synthetic drugs - you CAN NOT put that genie back. Make rules against it or controlling it, and you will still see those who refuse to follow the rules doing those things anyway. The only answer is to push on through - learn how to live honorably and morally ANYWAY in a world that now includes those things, and help others to do the same if you can.

That, to me, seems to be the great and common failing - people wait for some government or hero to save them. But WE are the heroes - or at least, we can be.

judith brison

First Post
Torm said:
I wouldn't qualify it as a failure - the government is not supposed to protect us from ourselves. If it has failed in any respect, it is that it has done things that lead people to believe otherwise.

Once a knowledge is out of the bottle - from something as grand as quantum mechanics to something as banal as tabloid television to something as both incredibly helpful and potentially dangerous as synthetic drugs - you CAN NOT put that genie back. Make rules against it or controlling it, and you will still see those who refuse to follow the rules doing those things anyway. The only answer is to push on through - learn how to live honorably and morally ANYWAY in a world that now includes those things, and help others to do the same if you can.

That, to me, seems to be the great and common failing - people wait for some government or hero to save them. But WE are the heroes - or at least, we can be.
I would have to say that i am responsible for my own actions. I learned to more than say no a long time ago.

But is life as in quantum mechanics? how to fix or work with quantum mechanics in comparison to a society? balance which is the law. yes, they break the laws only because the laws are not strict enough?

Judith Brison

Torm

Explorer
judith brison said:
But is life as in quantum mechanics? how to fix or work with quantum mechanics in comparison to a society? balance which is the law. yes, they break the laws only because the laws are not strict enough?
I was using quantum mechanics as an example of a technology or previously unknown system, not to compare to the laws of man.

It seems to me that you are thinking backwards - more laws are just more laws to break. And if I make it illegal for people to cuss, and I make the penalty a small fine, some people will still do it. And if I make the penalty death - some people will STILL do it. And, in both cases, most will get away with it - to have enough law enforcement people to enforce against every little sin and vice would require more people be police than not. And then who watches the watchmen? And even if your lawmen are some fictional, perfect, uncorruptable robots, is the end result worth the anxiety of everyone having to worry about every breath? And even if people aren't doing it, does it matter - if they still WANT to?

The American founding fathers believed that the Constitution was the best they could do - but even most of them believed that without some other structure to teach people the social contract, the document was just so much paper. Some suggest that they specifically meant for this to be the Bible. I will not argue that here, both because of board rules and good taste, but I will say that that does not have to be the only structure that could serve the purpose. But something HAS to. Laws can sometimes make people obey, but they can't make people be GOOD.

And I feel strongly that the absence of such a structure, with sufficient believability and integrity for the cynics of the last few generations to adhere to it, is the biggest place where things are going wrong. But that's a vicious cycle. The more you see things going wrong, the harder it is to believe in anything that can help. BUT - you can start with yourself, and build from there. Hopefully, you can at least still believe in yourself.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
judith brison said:
So should we be asking the big money in US or the President of the United States what we should be doing to help? and what direction we are headed?
Moderator's Notes:
This is the clearest example of the political nature of these posts, but there are several others. I'm going to close this thread, judith, and I would appreciate it if you would reread the rules of this forum. In general, "Big Question"-type threads, about the direction of society, are inevitably going to break the rules about politics or religion; you might do well for awhile just sticking in threads about gaming, and saving the big-question type posts for other boards where they'll work better.

Thanks!
Daniel

Michael Morris

First Post
Postscript - If you absolutely must discuss politics or religion, do so at CircvsMaximvs in the Senate forum. Most anyone who would see your post here that are interested in such topics browse those boards as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads