D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

Yaarel

He Mage
This is terrible spell design. Cantrips like this shouldn’t exist. In effect it grants permanent capability as cantrips do not use spell slots so it is far more elegant to just write it as permanent feature.
That is the point. A Druid can prepare the Gills cantrip to effectively become a water being. And so on.

If for some reason that is a problem, the duration of the cantrip can modify accordingly.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
the darkvision cantrip existing doesn't mean the elf doesn't have natural organic darkvision, it just means that there is a cantrip that can give darkvision, for the species like humans who don't get natural darkvision.
The Elf lacked Darkvision/Infravision in earlier editions. Tacking it on gratuitously now is unnecessary, and even problematic.

Darkvision is nonsense for certain Elf concepts, like Astral Elf that generates light.

There are way too many species with Darkvision.

Yaarel

He Mage
Darkvision is a 2nd spell. Ergo no race should get it before 5th level as a free cast.

Darkvision at slot 2 is one of the subpar 5e spells that needs rethinking.

Water Breathing at slot 3 is even worse.

See, WotC has proven to me they have no ability or interest, for the most part, in putting out the sort of setting material I want (which is basically more of the kind of setting material D&D used to produce). Thus, they might as well make a new setting that appeals to the sensibilities of the fans they want to court, and stop generating milquetoast versions of stuff the giants whose shoulders they're currently standing on made.
But perhaps apart Darksun and Eberron the old settings are just generic incoherent kitchen sinks, that have been mutated and altered countless times by different authors and lack any unifying creative vision. I really don’t see why current designers changing them further is any different.

Last edited:

This is terrible spell design. Cantrips like this shouldn’t exist. In effect it grants permanent capability as cantrips do not use spell slots so it is far more elegant to just write it as permanent feature.
More to the point, it's as good as several levelled spells with similar effects: Alter Self (level 2, last 1 hour), Air Bubble (also level 2, lasts 24 hours), Water Breathing (level 3, but does affect the whole party).

As a cantrip, it's duration should be one round - you can stay underwater as long as you like, but only so long as you keep casting the cantrip.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
What are you talking about? Elves always had darkvision/infravision.
I doublechecked the AD&D 1e MM. It is infravision. For some reason I thought it was ultravision.

In any case, it is usually unnecessary.

Ah!

3e says the Elf has LOWLIGHT VISION.

Elves lack Darkvision.

Thats where I had the notion from.

Gnomes also lack Darkvision.

But Dwarves and Orcs have Darkvision.

Remove ads