D&D 5E No love for the hand axe?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
the now-dead barbarian elf was fond of twin hand-axes (but realized that it was sub optimal for his bezerker build).

I'd dual wield Hand-Axes on a Berserker when I wasn't Frenzying, and just pull a two-hander for the Frenzys, which would be about 1-2 times per long rest typically.

KingTwichey

First Post
I hate to break it to you but, that is not a hammer axe. That is in fact a smoking axe. used for decoration and ceremony. the blade has a hole in it for looks. the handle is studded with nails or tacks for decoration. And the bottom of the handle? Yup that's shaped as a mouth peace. the handle itself has a hole going through the center and the bit on the opposite side of the blade is a bowl for tobacco/ other smoking herbs.

Functionally the axe can kill someone or skin a scalp, but I would not use that as a tool unless I had nothing else.
(source) I do living history re enactments and have seen those axes my whole life and own a couple. just thought you should know. they are cool though lol

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I hate to break it to you but, that is not a hammer axe. That is in fact a smoking axe. used for decoration and ceremony. the blade has a hole in it for looks. the handle is studded with nails or tacks for decoration. And the bottom of the handle? Yup that's shaped as a mouth peace. the handle itself has a hole going through the center and the bit on the opposite side of the blade is a bowl for tobacco/ other smoking herbs.

Functionally the axe can kill someone or skin a scalp, but I would not use that as a tool unless I had nothing else.
(source) I do living history re enactments and have seen those axes my whole life and own a couple. just thought you should know. they are cool though lol

Welcome to the forums!

And congratulations on making me go back through every page on this thread to see what you were referring to and whom you were replying to!

I find it's best when replying to use Reply With Quote. This gives your replies context like who you are talking to and what things you might be referencing, like in this case an image of a pipe hawk.

Anyway, now that the topic has been resurrected: Handaxes still make fine back up weapons for Strength based Characters, and a pair of them make fine primary weapons for a Strength based dual wielder.

Remove ads