• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No more "fluff"!!! [A rant and a request]

Okay, I've kept my mouth shut for far too long about this. Even if I'm the only person to feel this way, I'm going to speak up.

I'm sick and tired of the word "fluff" used to describe the setting/thematic/non-mechanical aspects of an RPG rulebook. I don't know who first decided that "fluff" was a good counterpart to "crunch," but it's actually vaguely offensive to those of us who happen to like some mood with our rules. When used in a literary sense outside the RPG world, "fluff" refers to padding, or words/writing that have no real value but to fill space. Or, to quote the dictionary:

"3. any light or trivial matter or talk."

The non-mechanical aspects of a rulebook are not trivial. I'm not in any way claiming the rules aren't important; crunch makes the game. But I'll challenge anyone who tells me that the other stuff isn't equally as important; a book with just crunch is a textbook, and a bad textbook at that.

So, I don't know where "fluff" got started, but if someone else can create a term, I don't see why we of EN World can't do the same. I'd like to propose "flavor" as the new term for any part of an RPG book that's not crunch. "Flavor" is not offensive, lacking the negative connotation of "fluff." It's actually a better word for the writing, because it's more descriptive. People only know what "fluff" is if they see it in context with the word "crunch," but it's pretty obvious what "flavor" refers to.

So... no more "fluff." The two differing aspects of RPG books are now "crunch" and "flavor." Who's with me?

EricNoah said:
"Flavor" seems to imply "pleasant but unnecessary to good nutrition" or something along those lines.

I don't know anyone willing to eat flavorless food, nutritious or not. ;)

And it's still a far more positive term than "fluff." That said, if you have another suggestion, I'm all ears. My beef is with the existing term; I'm not nearly as inflexible on what the new one should be.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
So... no more "fluff." The two differing aspects of RPG books are now "crunch" and "flavor." Who's with me?
Sure as hell not me. I don't know how "crunch" has managed to last as long as it has, either. Both are insipid terms.

Belen

Adventurer
Flavor, story, depth....I agree with you 100%! The crunch crowd is way to ascendant these days. The other portion of the game is not trivial.

arnwyn said:
Sure as hell not me. I don't know how "crunch" has managed to last as long as it has, either. Both are insipid terms.

Actually, I don't disagree. But that's a crusade for another time, I think. ;)

Right now, I just want to put them on equal ground. We can worry about improving the lot later.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hey, you back me on my little quest to eradicate the annoying term "Munchkin", and I'll back your little coup d'etat. :)

Tokiwong

First Post
Henry said:
Hey, you back me on my little quest to eradicate the annoying term "Munchkin", and I'll back your little coup d'etat. :)
I like flavor text it keeps me interested, I am the guy that reads the little vignettes in RPGs as well :)

Faraer

Explorer
Very much so. I argue the same as often as I think it won't be tiresome -- here, for instance. 'Fluff' is inconsequential, trivial, unsubstantial, quite the opposite of what world material actually is -- the lore comes first, the rules are just a representation of it. Before 'fluff' entered the online d20 lexicon it was used by Warhammer players in a clearly rules-first context. Imagine going up to some author and telling them you love their latest fluff -- that would be idiotic. It's not consistently used or understood.

'Flavor' is better, though it makes me think of artificial flavourings (partly because 'flavor' is an artificial spelling of the word), something added on ('Hmm, must write 500 words more flavor text'). Source material, world information, lore, content, descriptive text, etc. are better.

And then I don't much like RPG jargon in general, or the idea of 'gamers' with a walled-off self-congratulatory subculture. But that's a bigger question.

Am I right in guessing 'crunch' is a contraction of 'crunchy bits' coined by Robin Laws in Robin's Laws? (I don't use that one either, but it's not as embarrassing.)

Last edited:

Henry said:

I'm with both of you. I am about "crunched" out... Sort of along the lines of what Psion would say, how crunchy is it if you don't USE it. I think the fascination and awe caused by PrCs, Feats, Spells, new skill uses, etc. etc. is LONG past, at least for me. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I see a promo for an upcoming book that promises more of ANY of these, it just makes me ill. I am dying for flavor and mood, not "crunch".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads