• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No More Multi-Classing

Crothian

First Post
Reynard said:
As with many versions of this kind of advice, it is one thing to suggest but another thing entirely to sell players on it. I can't imagine a more difficult "sell" with my group than "Okay, we're going to play 3.5 because it is a solid game system, but we're going to play it without multiclassing or PrCs, with racial class/level limits and with a focus on adventure for adventure's sake."

I am not saying there aren't people out there who wouldn't leap on that pitch. I just don't know any of them. Even those gamers I know who like the 'old school' feel in their adventures want the full options list for their PCs.

Pull a con job on them. Instead of disallowing multi classing, create training roles that make ith harder to multi class then single class. Add in rewards for people that stick to one class and create cool options that have requirements like Bard level 12. If you make it colorful and seem cool you can fool your players into doing what you want.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Then go ahead and do that in the current game. REstrict multi classing, have more save or dies, and slow down level advancement.
While I agree with Crothian, I'd take his advice with a grain of salt. He's hardcore into OD&D.

rgard

Adventurer
pawsplay said:
What niche, per se, did the Paladin fill? And if it's a niche, why don't you always need one?

As I recall, AD&D has had multiclassing and dualclassing since 1st.

In 1st edition, Yep, one mechanic for humans (dualclassing - and the only way to go about making a bard) and for non-humans (multiclassing.)

A step further back in time and you had OD&D elves who had one class: Elf, but in reality the elf was a fighter/magic user.

Thanks,
Rich

Aus_Snow

First Post
Reynard said:
That's interesting, though i was thinking more along the lines of Cleric, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Magic User and Thief.
Please don't take this the wrong way. . . but why do you want Dwarf and Elf as classes, rather than as races? I know that they were classes in some earlier versions of D&D, and if that's the reason - then cool, whatever works best for each group. But if there's another reason, I'd be curious to hear it. Cheers. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've never been a fan of multiclassing in any edition, for similar reasons to the OP. What I did (in a 1e-based system) to curb it - while still allowing it - was cut back on a few class abilities if your secondary class really was secondary (less than about 30% of ExP going to it) and add in a few niceties for pure single-class characters.

I also took off most class-level limits and made multiclassing work the same for everyone, and Bards became a core class.

One thing AD+D did that always confused me was first to make Elves etc. races rather than classes, then turn around and introduce Barbarian as a *class* in UA rather than a sub-race of Human. Quickly fixed. :)

Lanefan

pawsplay

Hero
Lanefan said:
I've never been a fan of multiclassing in any edition, for similar reasons to the OP. What I did (in a 1e-based system) to curb it - while still allowing it - was cut back on a few class abilities if your secondary class really was secondary (less than about 30% of ExP going to it) and add in a few niceties for pure single-class characters.

I also took off most class-level limits and made multiclassing work the same for everyone, and Bards became a core class.

One thing AD+D did that always confused me was first to make Elves etc. races rather than classes, then turn around and introduce Barbarian as a *class* in UA rather than a sub-race of Human. Quickly fixed. :)

Lanefan

Elves were never an AD&D class. They were a class in OD&D and Basic D&D, but even in 1st edition AD&D, they were a race.

Remove ads