No Thank You, Evil! A Kids' RPG From Monte Cook Games

Monte Cook Games has just announced a kid-friendly RPG called No Thank You, Evil. "We’re making an RPG for smart kids and their families called No Thank You, Evil! It’s based on a slimmed-down version of the rules system from Numenera and The Strange, and it’s designed to be fast, easy, and fun for kids as young as 5." This is a game they say they've been working on for over a year, "learning more about children’s developmental stages, and looking into important accessibility issues for young gamers (including dyslexia, color-blindness, and autism)."

Monte Cook Games has just announced a kid-friendly RPG called No Thank You, Evil. "We’re making an RPG for smart kids and their families called No Thank You, Evil! It’s based on a slimmed-down version of the rules system from Numenera and The Strange, and it’s designed to be fast, easy, and fun for kids as young as 5." This is a game they say they've been working on for over a year, "learning more about children’s developmental stages, and looking into important accessibility issues for young gamers (including dyslexia, color-blindness, and autism)."

Here's the full announcement! The game will be Kickstarted early next month. No Thank You, Evil! is described as "A game that makes it simple for families to roleplay together. This meant creating rules that accommodate the youngest, newest players as well as older, more experienced players. To achieve this, there are different rule levels, each one geared toward a particular age group, from 5 on up to the point where the players are old enough and experienced enough to try running the game (probably around 10 or 11). So families can play together easily, even if the players cover a wide age range. Adventures are designed to be short but flexible, running anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. All you need to play is the rules, a character sheet, and a d6."

Character-Superhero-with-Companion-Alien-1024x791.jpg

Dahak

Explorer
So we're counting the apology from an amateur caregiver as proof that those without children can't write RPGs for those with kids?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some members of MCG do have kids. And I'm fairly sure that all of them have the ability to reason, and have interacted with children many times. And many of the playtesters also are and have kids. Having kids doesn't magically make you able to wrte an RPG, and not having them doesn't magically make you unable to do so. That said, while it might be relevant (I don't personally think it is, but I get why some do), discussing the staff of MCG's famiies feels a little intrusive to me, so let's steer clear of that unless they choose to volunteer such info themselves. Intrusiveness trumps relevance in this case.

Wicht

Hero
So we're counting the apology from an amateur caregiver as proof that those without children can't write RPGs for those with kids?

Not a bit.
The comment about many teachers not having children made me laugh, is all.

I will say that I am always cautious about taking child-rearing advice from people without children, and marriage advice from people who have either never been married or never stayed married. But that doesn't mean they might not have good advice, sometimes. And people without children can still design a game meant for children and they might even do a passable job at it. :)

Dahak

Explorer
Fair enough. The bottom line is that being a parent in no way qualifies someone to be a professional game designer. If anything, the ability to get a good night's sleep makes the childfree designer more qualified. ;)

fantasmamore

Explorer
I do have a kid but I really don't think that I could design an RPG for all the kids in the world. Maybe I could design something for him only, based on the things that he likes, his way of thinking and the things that I want to teach him.
That said, I would buy any game that helps me teach my son to roleplay, but not something involving violence, or super-heroes or loot. And it should be fun for him to play. Is it even possible? I don't know...

fjw70

Adventurer
I will say that I am always cautious about taking child-rearing advice from people without children, and marriage advice from people who have either never been married or never stayed married.

I don't take advice about child-rearing or marriage from anyone. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads