• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No upper limit on temporary HPs?

aboyd

Explorer
No, because you can only explode if the temporary hp gained from the PEP's effect exceed your normal maximum hp. Thus, 15 hp man can only explode when he has more than 15 temporary hp. If the PEP's effect never stacks with itself, then he can never gain more than 5 temp hp, and thus is never in danger of exploding.
Ah. The way I'm reading that section is, "any time the temporary HP cause the character's total HP to exceed the normal HP." In other words, any time a character has even a single hit point beyond the normal max, they are in danger. Thus, a 3rd level character with 15 HP and 5 HP from the positive energy will have to make these "hope I don't explode" rolls.

Again, just IMHO, since the wording of the section is ambiguous enough to lead me to conclude that was the RAW meaning, I feel pretty OK with the interpretation. Happily, this again means that the section causes no troubles in my campaign. But again, if that isn't desirable for others and they feel that they must follow a more difficult interpretation, then they must. I certainly wouldn't object to different interpretations, especially considering we're talking about using a 3.0 manual in a 3.5 game (or at least, I think that's what we're talking about). Once you try to use a 3.0 rule in a 3.5 campaign, all bets are off. The DM ought to be empowered to resolve discrepancies however he or she wishes. :)

Shin Okada

Explorer
The issue was with a Warforged, which are "living constructs" and for which common sense does not apply. :)

EDIT: wait, this was about a Warforged, right? I can't remember now!

Yes, my initial question was regarding warforged PC (Edit; and other characters/monsters with Steadfast Determination feat). But later, I found a construct opponent appears in an encounter in the mod.

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
I guess the effect of Positive-Dominant was not examined nor tested much by WotC writers.

I also found another thing. Energons in the Positive Energy Plane, both xag-ya in MoP and additional ones in the mod are not immune to Positive-Dominant planar traits. That means, by RAW their life-spans are quite short:eek:

I am going to give them Positive Adaptation special Quality which Vivacious creature in Planer Handbook has.

It seems that running an adventure in PEP needs a lot of DIY homeworks for a DM:-S

GJ.

This is why RAW is silly and everyone should just try to state to their opinion of RAI vs RAW for everything that isn't crystal clear. Of course the down side is this isn't for the faint-hearted.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
On a related note of stupid RAW, my group liked to think Warblades could drink all they wanted without getting drunk and were effectively immune to disease if they had the Diamond Mind save replacement series, giving them unbeatable saves, even on a 1. When it was my turn to DM, I made a RAI ruling that even though you only make a save each hour or day, it represents a continuous effect, and thus you cannot use a maneuver to replace such saving throws. Seemed like common sense, but by RAW... *sigh*

bykov

First Post
Also, keep in mind that a natural 1 is a failure on all saving throws. So, the problem isn't going to be infinite HP but outrageously short life spans for anyone involved.

Bykov.

Theroc

First Post
Also, keep in mind that a natural 1 is a failure on all saving throws. So, the problem isn't going to be infinite HP but outrageously short life spans for anyone involved.

Bykov.

Some of the players in this scenario have a feat which removes the automatic failure on a 1 for fortitude saves, thusly making the problem infinite HP rather that outrageously short lifespans.

bykov

First Post
Some of the players in this scenario have a feat which removes the automatic failure on a 1 for fortitude saves, thusly making the problem infinite HP rather that outrageously short lifespans.

Interesting. What feat is that?

Bykov.

coyote6

Adventurer
Steadfast Determination, from PH2. Requires Endurance. In addition to the "no auto-fail Fort saves on a 1" thing, it also lets you use your Con modifier instead of your Wis modifier for Will saves.

It's the perfect feat for your average Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads