• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nocturne of Sorrow, Orsal J

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Quozen, unsure of a best strategy against the flying monstrosities, enters Willow-Stance and flicks two separate shards at one of the kites.

(Flurry of Blows, fighting defensively, tossing two shuriken at Enemy1. Declare Dodge against Enemy1. Total attack bonus -1/-1, damage 1d2+1/1d2+1, AC 20 vs. Enemy1, AC 19 vs. Enemy2, has Deflect Arrows.)

Attack and Damage Rolls (1d20-1, 1d2+1=[13, -1], [2, 1], 1d20-1, 1d2+1=[10, -1], [1, 1])
AC 12 for 3 damage, AC 9 for 2 damage.

(OOC: Did you know that the throwing axe is the only ranged slashing weapon in the SRD?)

Last edited:

thegreyman

First Post
ooc: Since I'm last, I thought I would have time to see most of what happens. If someone gets slaughtered by these things, I'd rather know that and be able to help, then blindly fire a crossbow bolt while they bleed out.

Bison

First Post
OOC - Ive been here, but my initiative was after the second monster, so I was waiting for that before I acted.

((oh, Im sorry, I misread Quozens posts so I want to edit this ... I thought he was engaged in melee, but he was flury of blows at range))

Droggle takes his steed and dives towards enemy 1, that is still hovering over Quozen making a charging attack with his pick.

(I dont have the rules for mounted combat handy, what are the minuses for doing so?)

Last edited:

Bison

First Post
(ok, found the rules, heh, I forgot I found a pdf file of the PHB the other day)

Droggle charges into the first enemy hitting an AC of 19 (and leaving his own AC at 16 for this round)

and dealing 9 damage

[sblock=attack roll and damage]attack roll

damage roll
[/sblock]

thegreyman

First Post
AC 17, HP 14 of 14

Dorrin will move the horse near one of the creatures using Guide with knees (1d20+1=12) successfully to move to a superior position to one of the critters where he will attempt to Strike! (1d20+5+1=16, 1d8+2=8)

ooc: Guide with knees(free), draw Longsword (move), horse takes a move action, attack with longsword (standard) from higher ground (horseback)

If I can't get higher ground against a flying foe, it hits AC 15

Bison

First Post
((now these are magical mounts, do we need to make ride checks to bring them into battle? I was assuming that wasnt neccisary))

thegreyman

First Post
ooc: Well the spell description in the SRD says they come with bit bridle and saddle, so I think we need to control them. It mentions they do not fight in combat, but being phantoms I imagine they don't spook and need the DC 20 ride check to keep them near combat. There is no mention of controlling them with your mind, so just a normal really fast warhorse, I always thought.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: That's correct--I would treat it as a Warhorse, so therefore you do not need to roll to use the Control Mount in Battle action, you just automatically succeed if you spend the move action:

SRD said:
As a move action, you can attempt to control a light horse, pony, heavy horse, or other mount not trained for combat riding while in battle. If you fail the Ride check, you can do nothing else in that round. You do not need to roll for warhorses or warponies.

It's worth noting that the horses have Good manoeuvrability, which means they use up a little bit of their speed in turning about. Now, their speed is incredible, so this is not a big deal except that it means you will have to turn about (like Valan did) and can't charge this round (like Droggle wanted to do). You can still have the steed move up to the enemy and then melee it, just not a charge. It's pretty much exactly as Logicsfate said last page)

*Quozen throws two shards, but his aim is terrible, perhaps because of the startling change in equilibrium he experienced when his horse fell out from under him after hours of riding. Valan comes about with his sickle and dives in to attack. Grendath is on his side, and he manages to come in with a critical blow (OOC: Natural 20!). Unfortunately, the undead beast proves to be immune to such things.*

(OOC: Valan deals 4 Damage)

*The strange creature retaliates not against Valan but against his steed, firing another bone quill at it and harming it badly, though it seems like it will be running out of those soon and need to wait for them to grow back.*

*Hasin turns about and draws his bow and arrows, ready to fire soon enough on the enemies below. Jace lets his mount simply hover in place and gives it no encouragement, instead carefully drawing his loaded crossbow and casting Light on a bolt.*

*Gloria turns her mount around and squints her eyes to make out the enemies in the shadowy illumination. When she sees the one that attacked Valan's mount, she chants in an arcane tongue, and her eyes flash blue as a tiny bolt of energy shoots forth from her fingertips and strikes the creature, injuring it again.*

(OOC: 3 more Damage, total 7)

*The second creature fires at Valan's mount as well, and it manages to cause the phantom steed to wink out of existence. The Cleric falls to the ground, a bit worse for the wear.*

(OOC: Valan takes 4 Damage)

*Though he is unable to charge, Droggle still makes a devastating attack on the enemy that has already been injured. It looks quite a bit the worse for wear.*

(OOC: 9 more Damage, total 16)

*Dorrin's higher position turns out not to be as useful in flight, but unfortunately, either way his attack is foiled, deflected by the bone lining that keeps the beast's squirming rotting flesh together.*

(OOC: Note that Dorrin actually spent a move action to control the mount in combat and drew as part of the move action. If Jace is wondering why I didn't offer that to him too, it's because he is still level 1, so he doesn't have BAB +1 yet.

Back to the top. For future reference, the people at the end of initiative who held off on actions to wait and see were fine to do so if they must--I would have updated the partial round if I had Quozen, all the way up to the first person I'm missing.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads