• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non-casters and magic-related feats

brun

First Post
Can a non-casting class, like a fighter or a rogue, take a magic related feat?

Can my elven fighter take combat casting at third level, even if he as no casting capability? (he would do that because he is planning on taking a level of wizard and going bladesinger afterward, for example).

What about metmagicfeats? Could he do the same?

I'm asking for both your opinons and rule-wise, so please specify which is which.

kreynolds

First Post
brun said:
Can my elven fighter take combat casting at third level, even if he as no casting capability? (he would do that because he is planning on taking a level of wizard and going bladesinger afterward, for example).

What about metmagicfeats? Could he do the same?

I'm asking for both your opinons and rule-wise, so please specify which is which.

Rule-wise, you can take any feat that you qualify for. Neither Combat Casting nor Enlarge Spell have any prerequisites. Whether or not there is a default restriction for magic feats and magic users, I don't know.

But why would want to take feats that you can't use?

Last edited:

brun

First Post
Well, in the campaign with the said bladesinger example, we do not really plan in advance for character building. On day I decided to make this fighter into a bladesinger, for role playing reasons. The most effective way to do this, in regard to geat accisition and meeating the prerequesites, was to take in advance combat casting (6th level), meet the other feat requirements continuing with fighter (can't remember what they were) and make my 9th level a wizard one, thus gaining spell-casting capacity and taking still spell.

And my group and I wondered if it was "legal". We decided yes, mainly because I hanged out a lot with spell-casters and we talked about combat (in-game reasons) and because we couldn't find if there was a ruling about it (out-of-game reasons).

Wippit Guud

First Post
What about psionic feats?

I was considering taking the feat (who's name escapes me) that gives you +1 power point... and then take inertial armor to use that point.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Psionic feats are a special case. Any feat with the [Psionic] descriptor can only be taken by a psionic creature. This is listed in the SRD, in the Psionic Feats section.

dcollins

Explorer
This did surprise me a few weeks ago. A fellow player wanted his 1st-level fighter (taken for starting combat stuff) to take a metamagic feat in advance of multiclassing into sorcerer at 2nd level. I presumed there'd be some restriction on it, but I couldn't find any -- no prerequisites on the feats, no restriction in the appropriate chapter.

kreynolds

First Post
dcollins said:
This did surprise me a few weeks ago. A fellow player wanted his 1st-level fighter (taken for starting combat stuff) to take a metamagic feat in advance of multiclassing into sorcerer at 2nd level. I presumed there'd be some restriction on it, but I couldn't find any -- no prerequisites on the feats, no restriction in the appropriate chapter.

Out of curiosity, did you let him take it?

dcollins

Explorer
I did say he was apparently allowed to take it, and so he did.

(It's a co-DM campaign, so my opinion could have been voted down, but the group usually accepts my reading on rules issues like these.)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Why not. There are no restrictions for that. I think you can learn to go through the motions even without spell capacity. After all, if a wizard with several metamagic feats multiclasses as cleric, he will be able to use those feats he learned to use with his wiz spells with the cleric spells, too.

Remove ads