• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non-cutsy anime

frankthedm

First Post
Elfen Lied may look cutsy, but it is really quite good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied

Company blurb...

much has been made of the casual nudity and limb-popping violence that are its hallmarks. But discerning otaku appreciate Elfen Lied’s playful inversion of genre conventions, in which a happy “harem” setup is turned on its head and forced to play by ultra-violence rules. Or is it an ultra-violent sci-fi thriller subverted by its harem trappings?

horacethegrey

First Post
:\ Being that idiot that I am, I totally forgot to recommend a series that I can't get enough of. Noretoc my good man, if you like scifi coupled with a bunch monster ass kicking, then I suggest you check out the new Guyver series from ADV. It's a very good series with a lot of action and a great story to boot. Click on the official website below or the handy Wikipedia entry for more info.

www.guyvertv.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyver:_The_Bio-Boosted_Armor

Rackhir

Explorer
horacethegrey said:
:\ Being that idiot that I am, I totally forgot to recommend a series that I can't get enough of. Noretoc my good man, if you like scifi coupled with a bunch monster ass kicking, then I suggest you check out the new Guyver series from ADV. It's a very good series with a lot of action and a great story to boot. Click on the official website below or the handy Wikipedia entry for more info.

www.guyvertv.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyver:_The_Bio-Boosted_Armor

While I like Guyver, the series does get off to a somewhat slow and formulaic start. Once Sho? gets captured and taken to the Chronos Headquarters (second volume) it gets a lot better and really starts kicking ass when the Hyper Zoanoid 5 show up.

horacethegrey

First Post
Rackhir said:
While I like Guyver, the series does get off to a somewhat slow and formulaic start. Once Sho? gets captured and taken to the Chronos Headquarters (second volume) it gets a lot better and really starts kicking ass when the Hyper Zoanoid 5 show up.
While I do agree that the series does start slowly, it's not an issue with me. They spent all that time developing the characters to a degree that you actually care what happens to them when things start going wrong.

noretoc

First Post
I have a friend whop loved guyver. I saw the live action movie, and after that I never had any interest in the anime. I will have to add it. Just watched princess monoke. It wasn't my thing, but definatley the style I was looking for. I don't know why but I couldn't get into it. I have record of lodoss war here, in my DVD waiting to go.

Rackhir

Explorer
noretoc said:
I have a friend whop loved guyver. I saw the live action movie, and after that I never had any interest in the anime. I will have to add it. Just watched princess monoke. It wasn't my thing, but definatley the style I was looking for. I don't know why but I couldn't get into it. I have record of lodoss war here, in my DVD waiting to go.

The live action version of Guyver is the mongoloid, idiot brother with severe microencephalitis of the manga and anime.

horacethegrey

First Post
noretoc said:
I have a friend whop loved guyver. I saw the live action movie, and after that I never had any interest in the anime. I will have to add it.
Just make sure it's the new 2005 tv series from AD Vision and not the 12 part OAV series from Manga Entertainment. That one's a bit old (80's anime) and holds no candle to the new series when it comes to overall quality.

noretoc said:
I will have to add it. Just watched princess monoke. It wasn't my thing, but definatley the style I was looking for. I don't know why but I couldn't get into it.
I felt somewhat the same way. Mononoke Hime I feel was Hayao Miyazaki's weakest film. It was more or less his attempt to tackle more adult fantasy, rather than the usual whimsical fantasy we tend to associate with him.

noretoc said:
I have record of lodoss war here, in my DVD waiting to go.
Which Lodoss War is that pray tell? The tv series or the OAV?

qstor

Adventurer
Rykion said:
I think Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade meets your criteria. It's not cutesy at all, and has some of the best animation I've ever seen.

I 2nd the call for this. VERY Non-cutesy and grim.

Mike

Remove ads