Non-English speakers: what language do you game in?

Do you game in English, even though it's not your primary language?

• We game in our normal language, translating the rules.

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • We game in a mixture of English and our normal language.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • We game in English all the time, even though it isn't our primary tongue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English is my main language, so I shouldn't even be answering this poll!

Votes: 34 33.0%

Largomad

First Post
Actually in my group we play in a mix of three languages

English, Spanish and Catalan.
English is mainly used for casting .. for example.. "llenço una fireball" (i cast a fireball), feats and characteristics.
Spanish is our in character language, so, in a way whatever is said in spanish is what your character is already saying example" Bienvenido a este humilde establecimiento buenos señores".

And Catalan is the language we use for out topics comments, for example declartion of actions etc. "Jo agafo la espasa i el mag que em llenci un conjur de keen weapon"

Well that help us to control the flow of the game and of course it helps a lot to avoid lots of "eps no i was saying that as a player not as a character"

Regards from Barcelona.

pd to dream: de hecho, en mi grupo aun decimos fireball i no firebola, pero snikear migic misil y charmeado son clásicos :D

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
A mix: An example:

"I charge the dragon with my flaming battleaxe"
"Ik charge de draak met mijn flaming battleaxe"

or:

"I search for traps. I take twenty."
"Ik zoek naar traps. Ik take twenty."

None of the words which are the same should be :D

Rav

Tsyr

Explorer
Well, for what it's worth, in one of the gaming groups, we speak a strange blend of normal english, a huge vocabulary of strange gaming-related slang that bears almost no relation to any existing language although it's actualy derived from english, strange regional slang (northern michigan actualy has it, believe it or not...), and japanese...

And grunt-speak. Grunt-speak is good. Grunt speak is general reserved for when it's late at night and we are out of coke and coffee... it's a stange mix of english and some sort of low-grade telepathy.

For example, out of no where, "Yeah, you (gesture vaugly with eyes), roll an um... something... ok, now roll a thiny... right... ok... take that damage... now the other thing, it does that thingy in damage to you (another eye gesture), unless you have... um... some feat or another..., while doing something or other..."

I love that group :)

No one can understand us very well, and it normaly takes the better part of a year for a "newbie" to grasp what we are talking about half the time, but it's a blast.

Kroax

Explorer
I've played D&D Sweden and Denmark, and I have always spoken a mixture of English and Danish/Swedish.

I use English words for meta-talk, such as spells, skills, feats, place-names and weapons (they can sound quite strange if you translate them, and some of them you can't translate correctly).
The rest is normal Danish/Swedish. :D

Once though, I played with one who said he usually used English for talking in-game, but I never saw him doing that (It was a one-time session where not everybody were good at English).

swordsman1612

First Post
From a game mechanics point of view, we make up english sounding spanish "verbs" for actions like casting a spell ("castear") or to roll a dice ("rolear") and others. Things that have english names (Feats & Skills) remain in english, becuse I would not bother to translate every single detail. (I have enough translating spell-descriptions on a as-needed basis)

In the campaign, Spanish is of course common, and I (as the DM) use english as goblinoid/orcish.

Dispater

Explorer
We vary mostly between english/norweigan in our games. The two languages represents two major different in-game languages, which is cool. Orcs speak some rude kind of german (heh). And upper class humans speak silly french/english.

Fenes

First Post
We use swiss-german for normal speak, german for some formal in.character speak (although not too often), and swiss-german with english terms for rules. ("When you do that, you risk an AoO." " So what? I can take it with my AC and hp." becomes "Wenn du das machst, riskierst du eine AoO." "Na und? mit meiner AC und meinen hps kann ich das wegstecken." and "I cast Fireball" becomes Ich caste Fireball")

Andrea Mayfair

First Post
We also use a mixed Spanish-English language while playing,not only D&D,but almost every other RPG!! (that´s because most of the books we have are in English and when the Spanish version appears,we just can´t getr used to it!! :)

Largomad yDream :Si,es cierto Charmear y Esniquear son clásicos...pero ¿como es que no usais laitinear ?!! ;) Un saludo de bienvenida,por cierto!!

Remove ads