Non-English speakers: what language do you game in?

Do you game in English, even though it's not your primary language?

• We game in our normal language, translating the rules.

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • We game in a mixture of English and our normal language.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • We game in English all the time, even though it isn't our primary tongue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English is my main language, so I shouldn't even be answering this poll!

Votes: 34 33.0%

zouron

First Post
Well the last time adn the times before I played face to face it was all danish speak including rule stuff into danish... the only other language we really mixed in was... greenlandic. Ehh but that was mostly common terms that came natural, which actually caused a bit of hassle when I moved to denmark, had a group there for a short time. We spoke exclusively danish though.

Rowenstin

First Post
We play in spanish, using spanglish for technical terms of difficult translation. Well, I use spanglish for technical terms, because my group bought the translated version and we dont undertand very well :D

So when I say "he kills the XXX and uses ""cleave""" on you" they say "he uses what?"

Zelda Themelin

First Post
We use Finnish, our native language, but we use English and mixed 'Finglish' ;) termilogy all the time. English also tends to be some common in-game language, great excuse btw for not having to always translate things npc:s say when using modules.

Dream

First Post
Originally posted by Rowenstin:
So when I say "he kills the XXX and uses ""cleave""" on you" they say "he uses what?"

By the way,how do you translate "Cleave" into Spanish?Lo digo porque eso de Hendedura....:D

Ukyo the undead

First Post
Well, my group speaks a "portugenglish"; basically, talking in portuguese, but using the game terms in the original language.

Almost all D&D players in Brazil do it, because D&D wasn't published in portuguese until december/2001.

Madfox

First Post
Well, we tend to speak Dutch during the game, but just as most people on here it gets mixed with English on various occassions. We never translate name, nor do we translate names of spells, feats, equipment and even most rule terms. In short, we speak 'role-play Dutch', a typical jargon which only roleplay gamers tend to understand ;) When confronted with boxed texts, I prefer to translate them in advance or to simply ignore them. I might be fluent in English, translating a text still takes some time simply because expressions and certains words cannot be translated.

We love to look at the rare translations (and they are very rare because allmost all Dutch speak and read English at least good enough to understand the books), who seem to be made by people with little to no understanding of the games. Besides, somehow a lot of the translations -even when litterally correct- work on the laughing muscles (to use a Dutch expression). Sometimes I wonder if the native English speakers get the same feeling with certain game terms...

Remove ads