• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non paladin Special Mounts

DarkJester

First Post
One of my players is looking into going down a mounted combat path. He is not a paladin. If he goes this route I'd like him to be able to get something better than just your standard horse, as I know that would not last long.

Within the 3.5 rules, what are his options? The character is still being built, is a crusader/cleric/ruby knight vindicator, and has feats open.

I've considered just giving him something, but that seems unfair to the other players.

Maleketh

First Post
The only thing that comes to my mind is a druid's animal companion - but that doesn't sound like an option for the build you described.

frankthedm

First Post
How are your skills? Handle Animal specifically allows for training critters as a Combat Mount.
Rear a Wild Animal DC15 + HD of animal
To rear an animal means to raise a wild creature from infancy so that it becomes domesticated. A handler can rear as many as three creatures of the same kind at once.

A successfully domesticated animal can be taught tricks at the same time it’s being raised, or it can be taught as a domesticated animal later.

Train an Animal for a Purpose
Rather than teaching an animal individual tricks, you can simply train it for a general purpose. Essentially, an animal’s purpose represents a preselected set of known tricks that fit into a common scheme, such as guarding or heavy labor. The animal must meet all the normal prerequisites for all tricks included in the training package. If the package includes more than three tricks, the animal must have an Intelligence score of 2.

Combat Riding (DC 20): An animal trained to bear a rider into combat knows the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel. Training an animal for combat riding takes six weeks. You may also “upgrade” an animal trained for riding to one trained for combat riding by spending three weeks and making a successful DC 20 Handle Animal check. The new general purpose and tricks completely replace the animal’s previous purpose and any tricks it once knew. Warhorses and riding dogs are already trained to bear riders into combat, and they don’t require any additional training for this purpose.

Special
You can use this skill on a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 that is not an animal, but the DC of any such check increases by 5. Such creatures have the same limit on tricks known as animals do.
Now there ARE prices on two flying mounts in the MM, but being 3 HD to 7 HD away from a crash landing might not be worth it. Thier light loads are also far too low unless you travel very light.

Griffon eggs are worth 3,500 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 7,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a griffon.

Hippogriff eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a hippogriff.
MM2 has Dire horse along with the Warbeast template and I think MM4 or MM5 has a construct horse.

Arms and equipment guide also has a few mounts.

Wotc has an Animal Cohort feat on thier website http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=190270
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=190318

Last edited:

Ungruush

First Post
Why not just go with leadership?

then just snag a griffon or hippogriff or something like that.

and if you want to keep him on the ground, just make it a celestial warhorse, or maybe an awakened dire wolverine

hope it helps

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
There was a feat on one of the old WoTC site web expansions that gave an animal companion. Think it was called Wild Companion or something like that, I know it started with Wild.

s-dub

First Post
a construct horse would probably make a good mount.

Lord Robilar has one that's statted up in the ELH.

alternatively, a ring of +20 to handle animal allows you to rear some pretty tough stuff.

s-dub

First Post
From the DMG recommended pricing list for magic items:

Skill bonus (competence) Bonus squared × 100 gp (Example: Cloak of elvenkind)

so here we have 20*20*100 = 40,000 market price.

the cost to create is 20,000 + 1600 xp

Forging a ring requires one day for each 1,000 gp of the base price.

Alternatively you could find someone with a ton of ranks in handle animal and pay them to rear it.

Remember that aid another checks could help you or the trainer.

Folly

First Post
There was a chain of feats from the Blackmoor campaign setting that lets a player create a bond with their mount. The mount progress with each feat in the chain to become better. At first look, it seemed like a decent trade off.

Remove ads