• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non-standard healing feats/classes/whatever

Vanguard

First Post
Hey all,

I'm building a character of 4th level. The party needs some healing help, but I don't want to play a cleric or druid, and there's already a paladin and a bard in the party. I'm wanting some non-standard healing ability that I can use by level 4 or sometime soon thereafter

Here are what I see as the standard classes for healing other people, in order of how commonly they are used for healing:

1. Cleric + spells
2. Paladin
3. Druid + spells
4. Bard + spells
5. A class with UMD + wand
6. Psion + manifestation(s?)

I'm looking for something that isn't one of the above 6 options. The campaign is such that a potion manufacturing approach (magical or alchemical) isn't going to work out. There are other part-time healers in the party, so it doesn't have to be huge, but preferably it will be better than the #6 option above (or is that not as sucky as I'm thinking? I'm not very familiar with the psi rules).

Specifically, I'm thinking about an ability or feat that lets me trade HP with someone else (They heal 5, I lose 5, etc)...then I can work out some other method to heal myself. (A couple sorc/wiz spells, fast healing, etc).

I'm open to other similar weird stuff too (It would be cool if there was a spell that temporarily turned people into undead, then you could zap them with some negative energy).

I'd like it to work with a warlock if at all possible (he's got some potential for self-healing), but I'm flexible.

The campaign is 3.5 in Greyhawk, but I could probably sweet-talk the GM into allowing stuff from FR...maybe even Ebberon. We're partial to WotC stuff, but I'd consider trying to convince him to allow something from a 3rd party publisher if it's cool enough.

If there are no ideas that I like, I'll be going Warlock + UMD + wands = profit!

Anyone want to point something out?
Thanks!

JoshWilhoyte

First Post
There are always the Favored Soul (Miniature's Handbook and Complete Divine) and the Healer (Miniature's Handbook). And if you just want to be a part time hearler, feel free to multiclass. Ranger can use Wands of the Cure spells as well.

Vanguard

First Post
Favored Soul doesn't look too bad. I'll check that out. It's not all that crazy though.

Anyone else have anything better?
Anyone else have anything crazier?

The Warcraft Scout (base class) can use an ability called Wild Healing, IIRC, which lets him use plants and herbs to heal wounds. The Scout is similar to the 3.5 Ranger, with no favored enemies and with many traveling abilities.

AR

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Does your group use the Book of Exalted Deeds ? If so there is a 3rd level spell in there called Healing Touch that lets the spellcaster take damage to give hp to another character. What if you used spells such asFalse Life and Vampiric Touch (level 2 and level 3, respectively) to temporarily boost your hp and then cast Healing Touch on wounded party members? True, it would only heal hp though. You could use Clone to eventually bring back people from the dead with some prior preperation.

Another option might be the generic Spellcaster from Unearthed Arcana. You can tailor their spells known from most spellcaster lists.

Psionics may be a good route for healing, particularly if you are an egoist. You can use Empathic Transfer (a 2nd level power) to transfer hp from yourself to another party member like Healing Touch. It can also be used to transfer disease, poison or 1 point of ability damage to you from the subject of the spell. You can then use other powers to heal yiourself, like Body Adjustment for hp and Body Purification for ability damage (both are 3rd level powers. Egoists also get some fairly powerful healing powers later on, like psionic revivify (raises the dead), restore extremity and psionic restoration

Remove ads