• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Nonobvious coolness in 4e healing system

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A round was a minute in AD&D, but I'm pretty sure it was 6 seconds or something like that in Basic.
I don't recall that. I remember rounds and turns, and IIRC a turn was ten minutes.

I remember playing 3e for the first time and being amazed that an hour-long fight could represent thirty seconds of time in-game.

Cheers, -- N

Nebulous

Legend
The thing is, not everyone likes the death spiral. Not enough to make it standard, anyways. I think it's a great spot for homebrew, though.

I would really like to see alternate rules like this posted in Dragon, or compiled in future DMGs. Sort of like how they did with Unearthed Arcana that threw a kitchen sink of houserules at DMs; pick and use what you want.

DracoSuave

First Post
Wow. A group that decides it doesn't have enough time for a five minute rest....

...just how long do you think it takes to 'loot the bodies?' Certainly not thirty seconds. Five minutes is not a lot of time. You catch your breath, loot the bodies, you've already rested more than five.

If your group -chooses- not to take five minute rests I...

...wow.

Staffan

Legend
In OD&D a round is 10 seconds, a turn is 10 minutes.
Ah right, I misremembered. I thought it was the same 10:1 relationship between rounds and minutes as between minutes and turns. But I knew it was way less than the absurd AD&D 1 minute round.

I think that I like to go for the more abstract notion of an encounter than the 5 minute rule. If it is a new scene/encounter based on what the challenges are, as a DM I would say that all that gamey surges/encounter power replentishment "just happen". The narrative, unless desired otherwise by myself or the players or demanded by plot would be that you just move on. The game effect would be that 5 minutes of artificail gamey time went by. As a player, I would hope that my DM would be this focused on the narrative, and let the game just be ballanced in a way other than story.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads