• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Nonobvious coolness in 4e healing system

Donatello

Explorer
Speaking as a LARP'er, not even an SCA'er, after fighting all-out for a while, even just while swinging a foam-core weapon with a 1/4" plywood shield was exhausting. I can't imagine how it would feel swinging a 5-pound sword, wearing plate (or even chain) armor, while being hit hard enough to actually draw blood.

I see using Encounter powers as doing more than just swinging as hard as you can. It's drawing on a well of energy you just can't muster too often. You need that few minutes of "breather" time to get that reservoir back. Using a Daily power is just tapping a part of yourself that you just have to sleep off. I'm sure we have all done that in one way or another in our lives, just pushed ourselves in a moment that we didn't seem to shake off until the next day.

I think the game moves along very well now. Much more realistic feeling to me. Every fight is as challenging as the DM wants it to be, every player seems to be equally threatened by a good, balanced encounter.

As a former firefighter, I would agree with you Donatello to a point. There is a certain amount of extra something that you get when the danger is real. Doing the firefighter combat challenge was the most grueling 3 minutes that I have ever experienced, and as a serious sprinter and endourance athlete, I have experienced a lot (OK, no need for jokes about D&D nerds not being able athletes;)).

I have also had 96 hour shifts with no sleep, very little rest, hardly anything to eat, and multiple (most was 5) serious fires interspersed with medical emergencies and technical rescues. The combat challenge is much harder. There is nothing that keeps you going during the combat challenge except the desire to compete. The fires and rescues are actual life and death situations that demand the best you got, for the sake of your crewmates, the citizens, and your wife who wants to see you home at the end of the shift.

Firefighters don't wear steel, but with bunker gear, helmet, axe/pike, air pack, rescue equipment, and miscelaneous tools, you could be wearing 75 lbs! I was the smallest guy on my crew at 6'2" and 200 lbs. Not full plate and greatsword, but about as close as you can get.

Now all that adds up to be that extended "encounters" are not only possible, but the "5 minute rest" could be just as effective if it was a 3 minute ride in a fire truck to a new fire. No offense meant, but LARPing does not really compare well to actual combat.

EDIT: I have realized that my post was probably pretty offensive to Donatello. I want to apologise to him now for being offensive. I was not meaning to be dismissive or potentially seeming derogatory to him or LARPers. I feel that many of his points are valid. What I was trying to do was add that danger can change your endourance. I got a little carried away. I would edit the post, but I think what I wrote was cool for the most part.:) I just want to emphasize that I wasn't trying to be a jerk to Donatello personally.

Last edited:

Donatello

Explorer
No offense taken. I was basically saying is exactly your point; in real life and death situations, your endurance goes to new levels. Your drive, your focus, your will, all spike in ways I can't personally relate to (having only had to risk my character's life, not my own) but can only imagine.

Now, if "Firefighter 4e" was being run by me, I would say those 3 minute rides were rests, each fire a new encounter, and each time is a new well of endurance you draw from via encounter powers. The daily powers you have are those moments when you pull something out that just doesn't come back in that quick ride or in that moment of zen when you're preparing for the next.

I salute you for risking your life as an occupation (my father's side of the family has a few career firefighters), and I hope you don't think I'm trying to trivialize the human spirit.

Not trivialized at all. And I agree abot the three minute rides, which goes along with what I was saying somewhere about using abstract times for encounters. It makes scenes cooler, and is less gamey.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads