North Carolina Game Day -- THE AWESOME AFTERMATH!!!!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Hey, everybody. Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a fantastic time yesterday. Things went smoother than I thought they would. I think it is a testament to what a great group of gamers we have here in NC to see how quickly and easily the groups came together.

The gang who I ran through my Return to the Dungeons of the Slave Lords game was great. They all made it through the adventure alive despite some valiant attempts to die by Mahawk. His misadventures have prompted me to consider a ruling whereby continuing to belt out your Bard song while falling into lava will require a Concentration check from now on. Thanks again to that group for making my first "con-esque" DMing experience an unqualified success. And if you guys are interested in seeing an account of how the adventure went the first time I ran it, check out this thread: RttDotSL - Take One

As for the Whispering Woodwind game, I feel I must appologize since I was a merciless spotlight hog. Not to mention that the boisterous behavior of Aggro the Axe(s), my Half-Orc Barbarian/Ranger very nearly killed Jenna3 by inciting asthma-inducing laughter. Seriously, I haven't laughed so much in a game session in as long as I can remember. It's going to be hard going back to playing my mild-mannered Halfling Rogue after "Laying out some Justice" and "Dispensing some Fashion Tips" with Aggro.

So thanks to everybody who came and made this such a fun event. From where I sat it looked like every game the whole day was a resoundingly good time. I wish I could have played in all of them. In particular, Henry's d20 Modern game sounded like a blast. A few lines from that game that rose above the background noise:

"How do the Zombies afford the rent?!"

"I don't have my M-16, but I'll open up with my pistol!"

"How do Zombie Dogs blow up a car?!"

and my favorite

*Bang, Bang* "Philidelphia Police! Stop or we'll shoot."

Rest assured that we will be doing another NC Game Day and it won't be long. Thanks again to everybody. See you around the boards.

Oh, and keep your eye out for photos to be posted by Quasqueton. Those should be fun.

Quasqueton

First Post
Maybe these images will help with IDs:

[Note: I just noticed that someone above gave some names with numbers. Those numbers do not match the below numbers.]

Quasqueton

Last edited:

TogaMario

First Post
Honored

I was honored to be a part of the game day. And somewhat dishonored because I didn't cut the guy down who was hanging from the ceiling in Henry's game! I mean, honestly, he wasn't squirming! He was already purple ... anyway, he didn't have any money on his person, so the priest was not interested. It's always good to know that the NSA is coming to save the people being eaten by zombies. Oh, and for everyone's information, I was busy trying to unleash my "holy light" ...

P.S. Thanks everybody! That was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Lessee:

1=Rel
2=The Ruined One
3=TheDMsGirl
4=NCSUCodemonkey
5=Templetroll
6=Mayhawk (Jenna3's Husband Mike)
7=Jenna3
8=AAAAAAAAA! THE GLARE! I'M BLIND!!!
9=Jeph
10=Hopping Vampire
11=Drowdude
12=Mulkhoran (suceeding at his Hide Check)
13=Corlon
14=Togamario
15=Unsure
16=Dori, gamer in Codemonkey's group
17=LordMcDeath (Rob)
18=Speaks with Stone (Rich, from Rel's gaming group)
19=David, gamer in Codemonkey's group, and Settlers orchestrator
20=Unsure

A greater group of fellow gamers I could not have been introduced to on Saturday. We have GOT to do this again next year!

Last edited:

Corlon

First Post
how about "DON'T FEED THE BEARS" *blam* *blam* *blam*
"A Park Ranger with no survival?"
"What does a park ranger need two desert eagles for?"

And the most annoying thing:
henry-"you see a man hanging by a rope, he's dark purple"
me-"so is he alive or is he already dead?"
Jumble of other players- "he's dead"
"he's suffocating, let's cut him down"
"he's dead"
"he's dead"
me-"fine, I'll just shoot the zombies"
later on:
henry: "the man that was choking is long dead"
me-"what? I thought he was dead"

Quasqueton

First Post
I apologize for some of the pics not showing some players' best angle. :)

I did take other shots. But with the bright light coming from the big windows on one side of the room, the other pics came out too dark to really show anything. I got lots of great silhouettes though :)

And there were a couple or three attendees who came in later in the day that I didn't get on camera.

Out of curiosity. . . who was the youngest gamer present?

Who was the oldest gamer present?

Who drove the farthest to be there?

And just because I see a lot of threads talking about the dearth of female gamers, I want to point out that there were 3 women at this gathering.

Quasqueton

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, I am finally recuperated from the awesome weekend that was the NC gameday! And I want to offer thanks to a fantastic group of people!

Rel, Mulkhoran, & NCSUCodemonkey -- for taking the initiative to conceive, plan, orchestate, and site coordinate this whole event. Without these guys, this event would not have occurred, nor occurred smoothly. My hat is off to these guys!

To the gaming group for my d20 Modern game -- for making me laugh, making me think, and generating more fun than is permissible by several South Carolina Statutes.

• Jeph, for throwing the grenade, that blew up the flame thrower, that blew up the Chevy Lumina, that blew up the Zombie.
  • Corlon, for giving me a taste of what Christopher Lambert's character in Mean Guns would be like, if he were a Park Ranger.
  • Hopping Vampire, for thinking to bring the flamethrowers and for the most fun in-game exhibition of chair-fu I have yet seen.
  • Mulkhoran, for refusing to stoop to putting his Ducati Racing Bike in the Church activity bus.
  • Drowdude, for a truly frightening display of what katanas can do in d20 Modern.
  • And Togamario, who couldn't bust down a door to save his life, and couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn -- but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Thank all of you for the kind words, and it's been a pleasure to meet each and every one of you.

I also want to express my absolute Joy for Mulkhoran's "Whispering Woodwind" session:
  • Mark at Creative Mountain games: You are a magnificent rat bastard, sir. I shed a tear and bow at your feet. :D
  • Mulkhoran, for making a Cleric of Helm soil himself when the scouts reported back.
  • Rel - good God, man, what CAN'T I thank you for? :cool:
  • Rich - for keeping roast pork off the menu, and for some awesome one-liners.
  • Drowdude - for being the front line -- err, I meant rear guard. Blame the Barbarian.
  • Templetroll - Prepare to die, human! When you delivered this line, I'm glad I was half-orc.
  • Jenna3 - for failing the lock-pick. That was more fun than the plan was!

Rel is a funny, funny man. If I am diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia this week, I'll know who to blame. My favorite moments:

(sleeping guard in a quiet room)
*SLAM!*
On your feet, human! There's murderous flute-wielding arsonists about!"
...pause...
"Where's the liquor?"

Holding up the hat our quarry wore
"We are looking for a dangerous man. The kind of man who would wear THIS hat, is the kind of man we must not suffer to live!"

Conversation between the cleric of helm (me) and our wizard/rogue:

"We've got to stop them! They're going to commit murder!"
"Right."
Me turning to Aggro
"They're stealing the beer out the back way! We must stop them!"
"WHAT?! THE BEER?? NO! CHARGE!!"
(Rages and takes off running)

(Overheard in the middle of combat)
"Where's your five-foot-step NOW, Beeyatch!?!?!!"

(told to our quarry just before laying into him)
"Red is DEFINITELY your color!"

(after our quarry has just hauled butt in abject fear)
"Don't run, you'll die tired."

Too many moments to mention, too much fun, and in the end, so little time for new friends. Afterwards, we went to a fantastic place, the Rock-ola Cafe, and spent quite a while talking, drinking, laughing, and getting to know each other a bit. So many people I'm sorry didn't get to come, in particular Daniel (Pielorhino), and Jame Garr (Gargoyle), but with luck, I'll get to meet them, if not a Gencon then maybe at the next Gameday!

Thanks to all, and to all, a good night!

--Henry Link

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Henry said:
To the gaming group for my d20 Modern game -- for making me laugh, making me think, and generating more fun than is permissible by several South Carolina Statutes.

Great game man. Hope we get to run a sequel soon :cool:

Henry said:
Drowdude - for being the front line -- err, I meant rear guard. Blame the Barbarian.

Yeah, yeah... if only I had known... I wouldnt have played a fighter... ;)

Sorry for not participating quite as much as I should have in Mulk's game. I was kinda zoning there, + my voice didnt seem to carry over the laughter very well :eek:

Remove ads