• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Because putting a harassment policy on paper will make them more safe, obviously? I must be dense, cause I really fail to see how.

Having a written policy means that you either are required to enforce said policy, or, if you don't, suffer the consequences of failing to live up to your own policy. Such policies are in effect putting their own reputations on the line. If a con enforces the policy as they say they will, then yes, it will make attendees both feel and actually be more safe. A con that refuses to enforce its policy develops it own type of reputation.

The tl:dr version is that Metzer allegedly victim-blamed in a forum (or forums) where there were victims of harassment (and worse). (I say "allegedly" because I did not personally read his posts in question, but some were very upset and he was banned from at least one such forum.) He also sent flirtatious messages to an individual which some considered "creepy".

Which means he may be complete and utter scum, or he may be a completely normal person, one persons "creepy" is another persons "kink" and is a third persons "flirting". I do find it interesting that this Metzer is being thrown around as someone that should be banned from DnD for basically refusing to be properly sympathetic of those that make harassment accusations, and sending flirtatious messages that some people (we don't know how the recipient even felt about them) to be creepy.

I do hope this guy has done more than the two things listed above to warrant this crusade against him.

Having a written policy means that you either are required to enforce said policy, or, if you don't, suffer the consequences of failing to live up to your own policy. Such policies are in effect putting their own reputations on the line. If a con enforces the policy as they say they will, then yes, it will make attendees both feel and actually be more safe. A con that refuses to enforce its policy develops it own type of reputation.

Ah, but for this con in particular we know what will happen to people who harass, right. So are the attendees safer at other cons, where the same policy is on paper. The whole effectiveness lies in the execution, which at this con might even involve just such a thing, apparently :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I'd say that his statement that you will be booted if you are harassing people is pretty zero tolerance

He didn't say that though. Unless he's rephrased it since the distinctly non-specific "What do you think I'll do if I observed any sexual harassment?" comment. (I don't know what he'd do - maybe laugh? Join in? Wrestle the perpetrator to the ground and show him some frontier justice? Shoot a random person to make a point? Based on his other comments I'm really not sure.)

I don't think he's legally required to do more than he has done, and ultimately the potential attendee's will be the ones to decide if they think it is adequate or not. Given that most gamers are male and relatively unlikely to be the target of harassment, there probably won't be a noticeable impact.

I do think he's taking a foolish risk though. Despite all his bravado, all it takes is one serious incident (especially one that goes beyond "harassment") to open him up to serious liability if a lawyer can use his comments to show a cavalier attitude towards the risks for female attendees.

Not that it's any of my business. *sips his tea*

Last edited by a moderator:

He didn't say that though. Unless he's rephrased it since the distinctly non-specific "What do you think I'll do if I observed any sexual harassment?" comment. (I don't know what he'd do - maybe laugh? Join in? Wrestle the perpetrator to the ground and show him some frontier justice? Shoot a random person to make a point? Based on his other comments I'm really not sure.)

I don't think he's legally required to do more than he has done, and ultimately the potential attendee's will be the ones to decide if they think it is adequate or not. Given that most gamer's are male and relatively unlikely to be the target of harassment, there probably won't be a noticeable impact.

I do think he's taking a foolish risk though. Despite all his bravado, all it takes is one serious incident (especially one that goes beyond "harassment") to open him up to serious liability if a lawyer can use his comments to show a cavalier attitude towards the risks for female attendees.

Not that it's any of my business. *sips his tea*

Only in America would the fact that he didn't write a paper saying "you must not harass other attendees" constitute a legal risk of being sued and ruined. :-S

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It is certain that the same people taking the same sides do appear in threads like this.

I can use empathy and deduction on this.

People most at risk of harassment are going to be the most concerned and probably have experienced it in the past. So they will, understandably, take this subject seriously. Unfortunately, some, also understandably, are emotional about the issue to the point where it clouds their judgment and often makes them counter-productive in the stance they take.

Since I had my own personal revelation about sexual harassment from an earlier job where I worked with the HR team that investigated such claims (I was in charge of investigating financial fraud), I had my “a-ha” moment where I realized it happens more than good people assume and believing and acting on victim’s claims are important.

As I stated earlier, no written policy on harassment is not a good decision for a Con that reaches the size where you do not personally know everyone. There are enough generic examples that can be used that coming up with a policy is trivial.

I think that a written policy is relatively worthless if not enforced and acted on. In this case, everything I have heard about the Con in question has said that it is well run with few issues in the past and those were dealt with. You always have to depend on the Con organizers and staff to enforce a policy and a policy does not make up you. You and the community are what can increase safety, a policy is maybe one brick in the foundation. Recognition and action is the important thing.

Attacking the Con and the organizer and debating on the interest seems to be pointless. If you have an example policy, send it to them with a polite email. If you do not like invited guests, a polite email explaining why and either not going or not attending their panels or events is a better response than posturing in an Internet forum.

I do understand that this is a difficult topic for victims of harassment and their concerns about future safety are valid, and we need to each do our reasoned part to provide the environment where we all can have fun gaming.

I strongly appreciate the bulk of this comment, but that "survivors are too emotional and it clouds their judgment" line is coded sexist BS and has no place in this conversation or in this forum. I can almost understand where this rationale might be coming from, why you may have felt the need to say it, but sorry, it's utter nonsense. You seem like very reasonable person, so stick with me for a second. If people are angry or upset because of what they've experienced, then appreciate the fact that said emotions are coming from a very valid place, and thus their resulting judgments must also be entirely and completely valid, just as valid as any resulting from a cold, hard "just the facts ma'am" line of thinking.

I'd argue that a judgment based on personal experience is way more valid and important to the conversation than that of any impartial, outside observer.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Only in America would the fact that he didn't write a paper saying "you must not harass other attendees" constitute a legal risk of being sued and ruined. :-S

When you deliberately invite people who have been known to engage in sexual harassment to your gaming convention and then take personal responsibility for policing everyone? You'd be surprised at what you open yourself up to.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :)

Derren

Hero
Which means he may be complete and utter scum, or he may be a completely normal person, one persons "creepy" is another persons "kink" and is a third persons "flirting". I do find it interesting that this Metzer is being thrown around as someone that should be banned from DnD for basically refusing to be properly sympathetic of those that make harassment accusations, and sending flirtatious messages that some people (we don't know how the recipient even felt about them) to be creepy.

I do hope this guy has done more than the two things listed above to warrant this crusade against him.

No thats all. The internet mob has spoken, Metzer and Webb have been sentenced guilty because someone on twitter said so and they are to be ostracised forever. And whoever does not follow this order is as guilty as them and deserves the same treatment.

That is basically what the OP and supporters demand.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Of note, one of the two harassment incidents objectively occurred in some form. The fact that there was misconduct was established by both sides. There was a mea culpa by the accused that he does "deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting." The person who was harassed considers the matter settled and has asked for privacy.

I dont want to get in trouble with my rpg friends, but I have to ask...

If he understands and regrets, and the victim considers things settled...why cant he appear at the con?

Are we assuming future bad intentions and incidents from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads