• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Schmoe

Adventurer
It’s good to know that if I get really drunk , harass some woman and assault someone, there will be ghose who will totally support me when I go back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Just like it's nice to know that if I commit a crime and have a criminal record, there are some places in society that will still give me a chance? Should someone convicted of shop-lifting never be allowed in a store again? Seems pretty harsh.

When you deliberately invite people who have been known to engage in sexual harassment to your gaming convention and then take personal responsibility for policing everyone? You'd be surprised at what you open yourself up to.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :)

Like I said, only in America

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Which means he may be complete and utter scum, or he may be a completely normal person, one persons "creepy" is another persons "kink" and is a third persons "flirting". I do find it interesting that this Metzer is being thrown around as someone that should be banned from DnD for basically refusing to be properly sympathetic of those that make harassment accusations, and sending flirtatious messages that some people (we don't know how the recipient even felt about them) to be creepy.

Except we do know what the recipient felt about them: she was creeped the hell out by it, which is more or less what she said when she posted images of the exact conversation on Twitter. I've seen them too. They were creepy. And unsolicited. And they creeped her out. Which makes them harassment.

This is what I was talking about earlier when I mentioned the "things that are actually harassment but people don't want to consider them that". He might have intended it as "harmless flirting"; others might have interpreted it that way too. It doesn't change the fact that it was not.

People will use terms like "gray area", particularly if it's behavior they engage in or would like to think they might try to engage in at some point, but this isn't gray at all. Unsolicited and unwelcome sexual advances are harassment. Period. To my understanding, Mentzner has neither acknowledged his wrongdoing nor apologized for his misconduct, which is why he's on my do-not-support list (the tone-deaf conversation about sexual assault survivors was really just more fuel for the fire, really).

I dont want to get in trouble with my rpg friends, but I have to ask...

If he understands and regrets, and the victim considers things settled...why cant he appear at the con?

Are we assuming future bad intentions and incidents from him?

Some posters on Enworld puts Tom Cruise in Minority Report to shame. :cool:

I strongly appreciate the bulk of this comment, but that "survivors are too emotional and it clouds their judgment" line is coded sexist BS and has no place in this conversation or in this forum. I can almost understand where this rationale might be coming from, why you may have felt the need to say it, but sorry, it's utter nonsense. You seem like very reasonable person, so stick with me for a second. If people are angry or upset because of what they've experienced, then appreciate the fact that said emotions are coming from a very valid place, and thus their resulting judgments must also be entirely and completely valid, just as valid as any resulting from a cold, hard "just the facts ma'am" line of thinking.

I'd argue that a judgment based on personal experience is way more valid and important to the conversation than that of any impartial, outside observer.

Please take up your fingers off the keyboard or screen, read my statememt and your response.

”coded sexist :):):):):):):):)” I assume is an emotional response to the all too often used statement about women being overly emotional.

I, on the other hand, said victims of harassment and did not say the sex or the exact nature of the harassment. It could, and I intended it to, also refer to bullying because you are gay or fat or autistic or otherwise different. I did not mean it in a narrow way or just sexual harassment of women.

So now you have taken issue with something I did not write or mean.

My dbt training says to validate you and yiur concern. It is true that the wording I used it often targeted and used for victim blaming, but I did validate the emotion and did not use it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

It’s good to know that if I get really drunk , harass some woman and assault someone, there will be ghose who will totally support me when I go back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

When did we start talking about someone that committed rape?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Just like it's nice to know that if I commit a crime and have a criminal record, there are some places in society that will still give me a chance? Should someone convicted of shop-lifting never be allowed in a store again? Seems pretty harsh.

That's because the over-the-top judge, jury and executioner mindset is spilling out into the mainstream, into it being mob mentality. They don't bother putting themselves in that person's shoes or thinking of the consequences of the punishment, as it doesn't affect them whatsoever. This sir, is what the Internet age has created. Entitled armchair judge dredds laying the law how they see fit during that moment in time.

S

Sunseeker

I find this offensive. It is a personal, demonizing attack.
And you needed to respond to me twice for this?

Not Texan myself, btw.
Also, as a self-admitted non-Texan, I'm fairly certain you cannot take comments aimed at Texans personally.

Go feign your outrage somewhere else. You're on my ignore list from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads