North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Just to make sure I understand this correctly (there is a lot of text):

1. Doug Rhea is one of two organizers of the convention
2. Some people have asked that the convention ban both Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb
3. Doug has refused to ban either Mentzer or Webb, stating that he does not judge attendees for past behavior
4. Doug has stated that harrassment of any kind is not tolerated at the convention
5. Some people have taken steps to try to get the convention shut down

Is there anything else that is salient? For my personal stance, I wouldn't boycott the convention over this, although I would probably skip any events with Mentzer or Webb. I respect Doug's reluctance to judge people for past behavior that he does not have full information about. I also understand that not everyone is an expert at public communication.

neobolts

Explorer
The same con organizer is now working on an Attendee Behavior Policy, according to a post on the con's forums.

I have been asked by a Special Guest that has attended our Con for many years to take the time to post a policy about the expected behavior for Attendee's. I don't know if this person will make a determination on attending the Con based on the policy or not.

Recent topics about specific individuals who may or may not have violated someone's rights or personal space, have brought this to light.

While I still believe in "your are innocent until proven guilty", it appears many want to believe that as long as you are accused, you are at fault and should thus pay a price.

While I feel common sense should prevail on these issues, others can't live in the world without specifically spelled out instructions on how to behave when interacting with others.

I have created a draft policy and asked Mike Badolato (the person that helps run this Con) to review it. I do have a tendency to include lots of text that may not need be included (ie: my reference to common sense etc.)

I will take Mike's comments on what to include or exclude seriously before posting the policy, though I may include text anyway that he has asked me not to include....

I really do have a problem with people that need to be told on a an electronic product that they "should not use this device while taking a bath"... I feel sorry for all those manufactures who now have to include such information due the lack of common sense of others.

Doug Rhea
NTRPGCon.com

This is honestly the most popcorn-worthy post to date. Let's break it down.

I have been asked by a Special Guest that has attended our Con for many years to take the time to post a policy about the expected behavior for Attendee's. I don't know if this person will make a determination on attending the Con based on the policy or not.

Recent topics about specific individuals who may or may not have violated someone's rights or personal space, have brought this to light.

A "special guest" requested this policy to address behavior by "attendees". This could be one of two things. First, one of the accused harassers could be trying to get ahead of any potentially heated interactions with con-goers that disapprove of them. Or, it could be another guest (there are many notable names on the guest list) who wants to make sure the convention has a clearly stated no harassment policy if they are going to be associated with the con.

While I still believe in "your are innocent until proven guilty", it appears many want to believe that as long as you are accused, you are at fault and should thus pay a price.

While I feel common sense should prevail on these issues, others can't live in the world without specifically spelled out instructions on how to behave when interacting with others.

Oh jeez. My previous posts where I gave him the benefit of the doubt are not holding up as well. He's not just a poor communicator. His disdain for those with complaints is really on display here. He sees the accused as the real victims...lamenting that " as long as you are accused, you are at fault." He sees the complainers as lacking "common sense" and unable to function without the protection of "specifically spelled out instructions on how to behave."

I have created a draft policy and asked Mike Badolato (the person that helps run this Con) to review it. I do have a tendency to include lots of text that may not need be included (ie: my reference to common sense etc.)

I will take Mike's comments on what to include or exclude seriously before posting the policy, though I may include text anyway that he has asked me not to include....

Oh man. He's a screw up who puts his foot in his mouth, and he freely admits it. There was a ray of hope when he mentions that he'll have someone with a cooler head screen the draft rules. But then he follows it by saying "I may include text anyway that he has asked me not to include." He knows he's a screw up who puts his foot in his mouth, and nothing's gonna stop him. Plus he's suggested that the end result may be insincere.

I really do have a problem with people that need to be told on a an electronic product that they "should not use this device while taking a bath"... I feel sorry for all those manufactures who now have to include such information due the lack of common sense of others

More unneeded info in the post. Again with the "common sense" attack. HE sees himself as a pitiable con organizer, forced to live in a world of dumb-dumbs who use electronics in the bath or want sexual harassment policies.

I feel like this should be a case study in a public relations course.

There's more in the thread (http://ntrpgcon.com/forum/generaldiscussion-2018/222-policy-concerning-attendees-behavior) by him, but you need to be a moderator approved poster to see those posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMSkarka

Explorer
A couple of points:

1) Please keep in mind that while a game convention is a weekend's amusement for you, for some of us, these spaces are our *workplace.* Concerns of workplace safety have legal ramifications.

2) As a point of interest, I'd invite readers to check out threads on similar topics here on EnWorld regarding harassment -- and you'll quickly notice that it's always the same names, over and over again, posting angrily and dismissively about the topic. Same names. Every time.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt." is a legal standard that is a very viable way of ensuring legal penalties are justified.

"Innocent until proven guilty." is weasel wording that often ends in "Well, that proof isn't good enough."

Celebrim

Legend
-1 on the misleading headline hysteria. It remains an eminently accurate headline; if not value-neutral, which if we're all being honest is the real issue of concern here.

Ahh... then allow me to be the one to demonstrate the integrity your are seeking by giving a truly accurate version of the story:

"Convention Organizer Fails to Show Adequate Respect to the Priesthood. A convention organizer actually claims he has the moral authority and discernment to recognize harassment when he sees it without consulting the Priesthood or making references to the orthodox church doctrine. Worse, he has insulted the priesthood by with a dismissive tone and their dignity is at stake. A fatwa has been issued, and film of the convention organizer being burned at the stake is expected shortly. It only remains to be seen if he can be forced to recant before being burned."

That is I hope sufficiently lacking in weasel words or wishy-washiness regarding the truth for you.

Or in other words, I find you objectively wrong. As for the headline, it is misleading only if you assume - as most in the thread have - that it refers to whether the convention organizer has actually addressed the issue of harassment. But addressing the issue of harassment is not why this thread is actually a thing. What the convention owner has failed to do is properly bend the knee toward the people raising the 'concerns', and as such he's guilty of not knowing his place and - in their opinion - must be put into his proper place. The problem is not that he isn't 'listening' unless you actually think the word 'listening' is the same as 'obeying'. He's not refusing to address concerns about harassment. He's refusing not only to take instruction, but even to acknowledge that you are the sort with a right to give instruction. How dare he.

Considering that 2017 is quickly shaping up to be the Year We Finally Start Taking This :):):):) Seriously, As A Society,

Good luck with that. (And seriously, I mean that.) But, I see zero evidence of that thus far, and the original post is IMO a perfect example of not taking the issue seriously. What it actually takes seriously is the crime of not listening, not the crime of sexual assault. Harvey Weinstein is chuckling merrily, because one thing was certain - he always respected the priesthood. They gave him tons of lavish awards and praise, and they did so even knowing as they did it that he was a predator, because respecting the priesthood's dignity and saying the right stuff in public was far more important than protecting anyone. I don't see the slightest evidence he got outted because we took the crime more seriously, and there is a ton of evidence Hollywood is circling the wagons to protect other predators that they know about.

...it would be a prudent move to get educated, and with haste.

Or what? You'll send someone to a reeducation camp?

tl;dr: Not listening to YOU is not the same as not taking the subject matter seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derren

Hero
Just to make sure I understand this correctly (there is a lot of text):

1. Doug Rhea is one of two organizers of the convention
2. Some people have asked that the convention ban both Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb
3. Doug has refused to ban either Mentzer or Webb, stating that he does not judge attendees for past behavior
4. Doug has stated that harrassment of any kind is not tolerated at the convention
5. Some people have taken steps to try to get the convention shut down

Is there anything else that is salient? For my personal stance, I wouldn't boycott the convention over this, although I would probably skip any events with Mentzer or Webb. I respect Doug's reluctance to judge people for past behavior that he does not have full information about. I also understand that not everyone is an expert at public communication.

Pretty much. The mob has started to target people who don't join them.

Ingo Nade

First Post
Important context: Jennell Jacquays is credited for the logo of the con, a famous transgender game designer who wrote excellent albeit transphobic roll-your-background rpg books in the 90s before getting to grips with it all and coming out. I could imagine she does not want to discuss this.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. "If you do bad things *AT* my con, you get the boot." Chris's headline is not accurate in the slightest, and i'd wager, inflammatory. Shame on Chris.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Terrible headline for this article. I hope this isn't a sign of the direction the site is going. Yes he listened, and disagreed on the suggested course of action.

And man what a guest list, I need to look at this con more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads