North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

Ahh... then allow me to be the one to demonstrate the integrity your are seeking by giving a truly accurate version of the story:

"Convention Organizer Fails to Show Adequate Respect to the Priesthood. A convention organizer actually claims he has the moral authority and discernment to recognize harassment when he sees it without consulting the Priesthood or making references to the orthodox church doctrine. Worse, he has insulted the priesthood by with a dismissive tone and their dignity is at stake. A fatwa has been issued, and film of the convention organizer being burned at the stake is expected shortly. It only remains to be seen if he can be forced to recant before being burned."

That is I hope sufficiently lacking in weasel words or wishy-washiness regarding the truth for you.

Or in other words, I find you objectively wrong. As for the headline, it is misleading only if you assume - as most in the thread have - that it refers to whether the convention organizer has actually addressed the issue of harassment. But addressing the issue of harassment is not why this thread is actually a thing. What the convention owner has failed to do is properly bend the knee toward the people raising the 'concerns', and as such he's guilty of not knowing his place and - in their opinion - must be put into his proper place. The problem is not that he isn't 'listening' unless you actually think the word 'listening' is the same as 'obeying'. He's not refusing to address concerns about harassment. He's refusing not only to take instruction, but even to acknowledge that you are the sort with a right to give instruction. How dare he.

Good luck with that. (And seriously, I mean that.) But, I see zero evidence of that thus far, and the original post is IMO a perfect example of not taking the issue seriously. What it actually takes seriously is the crime of not listening, not the crime of sexual assault. Harvey Weinstein is chuckling merrily, because one thing was certain - he always respected the priesthood. They gave him tons of lavish awards and praise, and they did so even knowing as they did it that he was a predator, because respecting the priesthood's dignity and saying the right stuff in public was far more important than protecting anyone. I don't see the slightest evidence he got outted because we took the crime more seriously, and there is a ton of evidence Hollywood is circling the wagons to protect other predators that they know about.

Or what? You'll send someone to a reeducation camp?

tl;dr: Not listening to YOU is not the same as not taking the subject matter seriously.

Um... Priests don't issue fatwahs.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Chris Helton, did you report that the person running NTRPGCon received only 3 e-mails
about this and the person who posted on RPG.Net was one of the people e-mailing and got his facts wrong?

Did you also report that the RPG.Net thread morphed into a mission to shut the show down?

This is a small Con, 500 attendees, I'm guessing that they can take care of their own business. If you don't like how they do it, don't go. Very simple.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
A load of hyperbolic and largely irrelevant nonsense.

We've known for quite some time what harassment is, what it looks like, and have, largely, come to an agreement as to how properly address concerns regarding harassment, whether every individual demand is followed or otherwise. If you feel that the response of this con organizer was adequate in the face of the concerns addressed to him, you are objectively wrong.

I'll admit, again, that the headline is... clickbaity, in the least. I'll even begrudgingly admit that the headline is "misleading", at least in the literal sense, given the semantics that for some reason appear to still be in dispute. But you're going to argue against the spirit of the article, you'd be in firmly in the wrong.

Celebrim

Legend
I find this offensive. It is a personal, demonizing attack.

Not only that, it's objectively racist, because it is judging the individual by the stereotypical negative stereotypes of a racial-ethnic cultural group. They'd be banned from the site already had they made equivalent comments about any other racial, ethnic, or cultural group. Try doing a Mad Lib substitution for such comments and seeing how that sounds in your ear, and you'll see what I mean.

But society forgives and tolerates spitting on some groups, or judging some individuals by their group membership. Texans are approved as the butt of jokes. Heck, I told plenty of "Texas Aggie" jokes growing up, and only later learned/realized that most were adaptations of older racist jokes that were retained because the punchline was too good and it was deemed someone needed to be the butt of it.

But if any of that really bothered me, I'd be spending all of my time outrage mongering, rather than prepping gaming sessions. I can control the quality of my gaming sessions. I can't teach people to think critically.

Seriously, these threads never go anywhere good. Can we discuss RPGs instead?

Did you also report that the RPG.Net thread morphed into a mission to shut the show down

If you are concerned with getting the facts right, why did you not also report that only 1 person in the RPG.Net thread mentioned shutting down the convention and they got slapped down by both a moderator and pretty much everyone else on the thread?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
-1 on the misleading headline hysteria. It remains an eminently accurate headline; if not value-neutral, which if we're all being honest is the real issue of concern here.

There's this belief that in order for a work of journalism to have integrity or even just be considered "good" it must remain as impartial as possible, even in situations where one (or both) sides are objectively wrong. Taken to extremes you wind up with weasily non-journalism that provides no information or context outside of carefully crafted quotes on all sides. You wind up with what are essentially non-headlines like "[Neo-nazi Speaker] makes remarks some critics find racist" which is completely asinine.

Sometimes journalistic integrity requires more than just regurgitating what people on both sides are saying; it requires cutting through the nonsense and reporting the actual truth
No disrespect to Chris but stories or posts on Enworld hardly rate as journalistic in writing and depth of the nature covered...i.e. This isn't your large major metro city newspaper reporters covering Watergate. To act like this is a news piece and saying journalistic integrity is a reach, a very long reach in my opinion. Chris is well respected here and probably more why we haven't seen a push back for a retraction or apology like we would see from a true news site on a poorly titled piece.

Schmoe

Adventurer
If you feel that the response of this con organizer was adequate in the face of the concerns addressed to him, you are objectively wrong.

Can you explain how the organizer's response was objectively inadequate? I'm afraid I don't understand that.

OmeniaPhil

First Post
Thanks for letting me know about this gaming convention. It's nice to see one finally be run by someone who cares more about gaming than giving into the SJW clowns who everyone hates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for letting me know about this gaming convention. It's nice to see one finally be run by someone who cares more about gaming than giving into the SJW clowns who everyone hate.

I see you just joined the site a few minutes ago, so welcome to EN World! You might want to read the forum rules. Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads