• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Norum da Salaex: The Blade of Phoee

dorgin_malgard

First Post
"I would have to agree with Lady Ana.. it would be silly to throw this boon away as we may never have another chance to cash in on it. Besides such a journey would not be prudent given the circumstances."

Funeris

First Post
Onward and definitely UPWARD

The general consensus seems to be move it along...and to take the General's offer...of course...I sorta built the terrain to make it difficult UNLESS you take the offer...so good choice all. I guess I don't get to slaughter any of you with the PbP...oh well. sigh

----

The General approaches you all in the morning, Rhynos and Soter rubbing their throbbing heads, and is delighted to hear that you've accepted his proposition. He hurriedly gets you all aboard the ship, once the destination--or approximate destination is explained to him and passed down through rank.

The familiar shuddering of the ship is almost comforting...to all but those that joined in with the festivities. To those with throbbing skulls and queasy stomachs, the lurching is sickening.

The ship climbs slowly up the face of the cliff, above the Lake of Leuo. The waterfall is still dried up, the river Leuo is drying up slowly. And last night (and according to the natives for every night since the original party departed Leuo) darkness descended into the valley. But gone was the threat of the Caeliban, gone the near certain extermination. And the festivities had been grand.

Minutes pass as the ship climbs ever upward...as it crawls along the edge of the cliff. And then the drifting clouds stop--the ship stops. The vessel makes a slow, delicate turn until it has shifted 180 degrees. One of the smaller Kaeruniban manipulates the locks and the rear hatch, letting in the bright light of morning.

Rhynos and Soter grimace and squint.

Before you is what looks like an ancient dais, raising from the earth. The mountain Faith climbs a bit higher to its precipice, but at his point the stone was flat enough for the party to disembark.

The dias--if that is what it truly was--is circular, and approximately fifty feet in diameter. Vines and brush have grown up through it--for it was only made of the earth. But you can see that it is, or at least was, an unnatural formation.

Mechae turns to the group and says, "This is the highest we could get you. I hope we have not passed what you are looking for. And I wish all of you luck in your return home." He shifts his metal bulk aside, making room for all of you to pass.

As Cassock passes, the metal man grabs the priest's arm. Then, he says, "May Cael and Kaeruna both watch over you, child." He releases his grasp and waits till you all are off and away.

The rear hatch descends, shutting the compartment. With a burst of heat, the fiery circle pushes the ship away from the rock. It descends slowly, as if feather falling toward the lake below. Soon, it is gone, having left you so far above the world.

The horizon stretches uniformly around you -- into infinity. The hazy lines of the ocean blending into the brighter blue of the sky.

Turning your attention to the 'dais', a five-foot radius, circular shaft seems to descend downward into darkness. But somewhere down in that abyss, a slight shimmering pin-prick of light looks back up toward you.

Ana turns to Rhynos with a smirk and asks, "And what now, oh wise Sage?" The words are laced with sarcasm and make Rhynos' head pound slightly harder.

hobbit_killer

First Post
Rhynos

"The leap of faith of course. That means jump in the hole, Ana. All of us must jump with me the last. Hopefully this thrice damned hangover will not impair my ability to activate the key."

Funeris

First Post
Ana's response...

"Fine warlock. Do what you have to...and tell me when..." she stands at the edge of the hole...staring into the face of the abyss.

hobbit_killer

First Post
Rhynos

Rhynos pulls out the key.

"It's not just me my dear, there can be no hesitation from those who follow you, else you hit the bottom before the process is complete."

"But you may jump when ready."

Rhynos hold the key over the shaft.

Funeris

First Post
hobbit_killer said:
Rhynos hold the key over the shaft.

For a second, nothing occurs. But as Ana watches...the pinpoint of light seems to be moving toward the top of the shaft. It appears to stop...and there is a blue burst of light...pouring upward and then out of the shaft. The pillar of endless light extends infinitely upward...bluer than the sky...and then the pillar is gone, leaving the shaft lit by the brightest of blues.

Ana takes a breath, and without waiting for the signal...leaps into the blue. She screams as she falls....but just as she passes into the much closer shimmering, blue field of light, her screams vanish....

Funeris

First Post
X-section

attachment.php

Attachments

• X-sec-Cardinis.JPG
    X-sec-Cardinis.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 68

Remove ads