Norum da Salaex: The Blade of Phoee

Funeris

First Post
As his last words slip out...the key twitches in his hand...as if IT WANTS to leap down the shaft as well...he barely keeps his grip...

Funeris

First Post
The blue light flares brightly as each body tumbles into it...no sound echoes after the flashes...the key jerks again...twice...but Rhynos keeps his grip....

Funeris

First Post
Onward but Backward

Two more shudders flow through the key as Rhynos is left alone on the top of Faith. He giggles a bit--his head throbs again.

"I hope I did that right," he says as he looks down into the shimmering blue light. He glances around, thinking momentarily about another path he could possibly take--something less risky. In acceptance he sighs...a part of him prays the writ was correct...another part of him doesn't give one sh*t.

He lifts the key up...his eyes make out what seems to be a fluctuation within the blue. Then he grasps it close to his chest as he leaps.

The warlock falls for an eternity and a split second before he touches the blue. His arm gets wrenched out to the side, he feels it slam and split...the key tumbles loose...

...and then nothing...

...but darkness...

Rhynos sits up with a start...he's cold...his arm is...unbroken. He searches frantically about in the black...he feels stone....he listens...

...there are others breathing....

....Something is stirring in the darkness...but Rhynos can't see. The walls begin to close in...and there's a flash. The warlock squints...and his eyes adjust to the light of the torch.

Cassock stands near the center of the room with the torch, beside a decaying corpse. It is a woman...strapped to two planks of wood bound like a cross. Her feet are frozen in an angled position to give birth...but the child, whatever it was...had split her from crotch to ribcage. A stairway runs along one of the walls...going up past the ten foot high ceiling.

Bodies are strewn about the corpse in a circle...Gregor is there...as is Soter, Cassie, and Anastrianna. But--there also are the bodies of Zayda and Dagna, the dwarf. In the dust...for dust has covered all things in this room. There is an outline of another body...Aramil...but his body is gone. Zayda and Dagna's eyes are closed...flickering...but closed. They breathe easily as if sleeping.

One of the others prod the bodies...Rhynos doesn't care. He's staring at the spot where Aramil's body should be. Far off...in the room above...the wind whistles as it circles the runed walls. The doors probably aren't even open.

Something shimmers and catches the warlock's eyes. He looks above the dessicated body of the woman...the mother...

A pitch black orb ripples like water...hovering directly above the corpse...and then it vanishes. The Cardinis Orb slips away through time...

The warlock sighs. He goes to the coffin along the wall...the top is removed--just as he remembers moving it. The tiny baby footprints in blood walk toward the wall--quickly growing to full size before disappearing against the wall.

Rhynos can swear he remembers a passage in that wall....but the wall seems solid. He glances down at the inside of the coffin yet again...inside, a black, liquid residue clings to the lining of the coffin.

Soter confirms Rhynos' thoughts....an unusal type of magic clings to the residue. Gregor snatches a sample...without touching it...and puts it in a vial. He stores the vial in his satchel.

"My sword's missing," Cassock says. As well as my armor, he adds silently. Doing a quick inventory...everyone's gear is gone, except what they brought from Atryus...as well as Aramil's body.

Rhynos smirks. Where did the half-elf go? And how long HAVE we been down here??, he thinks sullenly.

"What now?" Questions Anastrianna.

----

Funeris

First Post
Okay....a quick reply now...to point a few things out. First, I would like to THANK my original players...for making the prophecy of their arrival come true.

Say What?!

You'll remember the prophecy...the heroes will appear just before darkness descends over the valley.

Well...if you'll think for a moment...the Cardinis Chamber was created to mimic the key (the planar cosmology) and represented earth, fire, wind, & water. Well...fire. hehe. There were devices placed upon the ridges...big old street lights, virtually. Well...they were powered by fire...the lever you pushed to light the chamber in the fire room...also drained the fuel from these devices.

You not only arrived right before the darkness...you caused it. :D

So...my praise goes out to you...for fulfilling the prophecy. Looking back...the "treaty" was the most interesting (and surprising) idea of this brief stage of the story. In the end, I think you've practically covered everything (as in collected a bunch more 'clues') that I hoped to put out there.

But you never fail to stun and amaze. Bringing Cassie back...was...unexpected to say the least, Bill. But I can work with it ;)

XP will be awarded for this...because you've earned it. I'll email that to you. Wasteland, I'll keep track of Soter's...you don't have to. Hobbit_Killer...I'll add yours to Rhynos' sheet. Actually...everyone except for Gregor...I'll take care of it this time. Gregor...your XP is coming via email though. So keep an eye out...

Right...I think I'm done for now. This is a good place to start the game tomorrow.

Fune

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I know you didn't expect it, that's why I did it. Just to throw that monkey into it for ya.

I did like the Chamber and puzzling it out.

I assume our location is now the birthing chamber of where we had the golem fight and the murder of the Ara'kull priest.

Funeris

First Post
Yes, as far as you can tell this is the first birthing chamber...in your own time. Outside, you slaughtered the Ara'kull priest (and the vamp before him). Inside on the ground floor were four flesh golems. Aramil chased a priest (you all assume) up the stairs and fell into the first and now infamous trap of the game. Once Rhynos rescued him (never thought you'd see those two words right beside each other, huh?) and the flesh golems were destroyed, you all went upstairs...

where there were a bunch of notes burning...I believe...you grabbed some of them...and then there was a firehouse-type pole off to one side. Which you could slide down...and into the basement.

And that is where you are now.

Remove ads