• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Not convinced yet... but

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hey, OP.

I dunno that you're quite doing things by the book. So it's a bit hard to see where the disconnect is.

But if your concern is a weak wizard, I can tell you this:

1 - In general, 5e plays differently than it reads. In a good way. :)

2 - Don't worry about AC or damage potential. Worry about problem-solving. Take rituals so that you can do things no other members of the party can do. Comprehend Languages can be a good choice, Unseen Servant is almost an I Win button for traps, and Find Familiar can translate to "advantage on all my attacks." Remember cantrips are at-will, so Fire Bolt is equal to almost any bow attack. In combat, disabling an enemy is often more effective than just racking up damage, so spells like Sleep, Grease, and Fog Cloud can be powerful effects. D&D usually isn't JUST about bashin' goblins (and even when it is it isn't JUST about hitting them hard).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
To the OP,

As others have pointed out that fighters damage is too high. Are you (incorrectly) adding proficiency bonus to damage? I suggest taking a look at some pre-made character sheets to see how it is correctly done.

Happy gaming!

ccs

41st lv DM
(To the OP)
So tell me how your low lv PF wizards play.
How does that compare to what a 5e wizard does?

(My own xp with the two is fairly similar/equel.)

bleezy

First Post
No matter how the math works out, the key point is that the fighter is INTENTIONALLY better at fighting than the wizard. That's why it's called the fighter.

As the game stands, many people complain that the wizard is too good of a fighter at higher levels (depending on how frequently rests occur in the campaign), because the fighter is supposed to be the best fighter.

When you compare the wizard to the cleric or druid, it is true that they can cast a similar number of spells per day, but the wizard's spells are way better. Cleric and druid spells mostly support other players (not as much fun to play), while wizard spells kill large numbers of enemies single-handedly and give the wizard an absurd level of mobility and plot control.

Dit464

First Post
Yeah there should be no way your getting +14 to attacks, unless your DM is handing out Rare grade magic items at lvls 1-2 with max rolled STR. The problem with Fighters is they aren't as versatile as wizards yes they don't do as much round to round dmg as a fighter can, but fighters cant put 5 enemies to sleep at lvl 1, fighters cant stop someone from taking fall dmg.

hejtmane

Explorer
Yeah there should be no way your getting +14 to attacks, unless your DM is handing out Rare grade magic items at lvls 1-2 with max rolled STR. The problem with Fighters is they aren't as versatile as wizards yes they don't do as much round to round dmg as a fighter can, but fighters cant put 5 enemies to sleep at lvl 1, fighters cant stop someone from taking fall dmg.

Fighters can not nuke enemies in a 20ft radius for 8d6 (or more with spell slots) at 150' away

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Seeing as the OP hasn't replied here yet, I'll keep this short:

Hi, I enjoyed the slating I got for that! Quality. Completely deserved but I did get some very good answers off it. But seriously, I don't give my evenings to caste spells that help other players sort out the problems. Someone said, spellcasters are there to exploit weaknesses so that others can achieve (I paraphrase). Well that's very nice of me, but I've got work tomorrow, am I really giving up my evenings to open gaps so that my colleagues can do all the fun stuff?

...because you think it sucks when someone else in the group gives your character a +2 to AC, or an extra attack, or a bonus to your Strength, etc...right? You don't enjoy that? When your friends help you out? Not fun for you? Huh...odd... At any rate, I am quite happy to "give my evenings" to help other players have fun. I enjoy that. I like making my friends happy and adding to the overall enjoyment of the evenings game session. Guess I'm weird like that...liking my friends and wanting to make them happy. *shrug*

I don't want to dominate everything, but when I do pull out something it should have a big effect because, unlike combat that repeats, my resources are limited. Just used the same stats to make a dual wielding fighter, if he hits twice he does 2D8+14 a round, every round. How is this supposed to be a balanced game system?

Er...others have already pointed out the strange non-math you may have used for your fighter. ... ... Anyway... How is it a balanced system? Have you ever played BECMI, or 1e AD&D? (or any OSR style game?). The "balance" isn't level-to-level, class-to-class. It's "month-to-month" and "year-to-year" balance. Playing a Fighter, or a Thief, or a Cleric, or a Magic-User over the course of, say, 5 years in a single, continuous campaign...all those classes "balance" out. The fighter is overall, consistent. The Thief starts slow, ramps up in the middle, and evens out in the end. The Cleric starts strong, but never really gets 'stronger'. The magic-user starts off as weak as a new-born kitten, but ends up becoming a single-man/woman force to be reckoned with. Over the course of an entire campaign, with all manner of adventurs (combat heavy, RP heavy, puzzle/trap heavy, dungeon, wilderness, waterborn, city, other-planar, etc)...they all have shining parts and dull parts. It all balances out in the end.

I say this a lot of late... stop thinking in 3.x/PF/4e terms! 5e is not like those. Stop expecting it to be an 'updated version of those rules'. This will go a looooong way towards understanding what the system wants to present.

And if the wizard helps to buff me up or reduce my enemy, I become even more awesome - thanks wizard I'm having great fun here! In combat he has 17 AC (the wizard did too but only with mage armor). Yes, he is very 1 dimensional but for a first level character its still way too much. Of course, the obvious solution is to take the fighter which I intend to do. By the way, I thought I was attaching to an older conversation, but, yes, I do appear to agree with myself which was worthy of ridicule. I GM pathfinder and have joined a 5E group. I do like its simplicity, something that Pathfinder often lacks. Too early to truly choose a favorite. By the way. As I got some awesome answers before I might go back and try one more time. I made this fighter and maxed his strength to 20, got a PDF character sheet and started filling it in. I seem to have a carrying capacity of 100 lbs, but my starting gear is more than this; in fact chainmail and an explorer's backpack with its contents adds to about 100. I must have missed something, 20 strength, he should be able to carry a cow into battle. Can someone help? I give this 2/10 for trolling. I shall try to save up a more satisfying rant for you guys later! Cheers all.

Dude...after a dozen play sessions, don't come back here complaining that your Fighter is "boring" and "can only do one thing...attack, attack, attack, attack..." Don't come back and complain that the wizard is 'cooler' then your PC, don't complain that the druid is "tougher than your PC", don't come and complain about how the thief can deal three times the damage you can when he sneak attacks, etc. Right now you see how 'tough' a fighter is compaired to the wizard and everyone else. Later on, the fighter will be lacking in versatility. Your fighter will need to have that wizard, theif and cleric in the group. And, wait for it... that's the balance of the 5e system.

Ok. I'm done now. :) I feel better! Thanks OP! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Sacrosanct

Legend
Don't bother replying, the OP will just start a new thread rather than reply here.

This is true. I'm convinced the OP is just trolling the site. Creates a thread about how wizards suck, then never replies to that thread and created another one with the exact same thing.

Don't feed the troll folks.

Remove ads