Not With a Bang OOC

Rybaer

First Post
First pass of my character is posted in the RG thread. Still have to fill in background, gear, and such.

Question: Can I purchase a spell scroll or two as initial equipment and add the extra spell to my spellbook? Just curious. Not sure if I'd even add one at this point.

Another question: Could I scribe a scroll of a spell I know? As a 1st level spell, they cost 12.5GP in supplies and 1 XP to create. I'd be happy to go a couple XP in the hole in order to have one or two spare spells handy in scroll format.

Thanks!

Shalimar

First Post
I posted my character for approval, I don't know what the party alignments are going to be, especially with the Paladin, but she is Chaotic Neutral with leaning towards Chaotic Good. She is firmly entrenched in the Chaotic what with theft being her only income. She was born in Alten's Rock, so anyone who has lived there over the course of the last 16 years can know her if they choose from her childhood. After she was 4 she left Alten Rock, and has only recently returned a few days ago. Within the 4 years she lived in Alten's Rock, or the 12 she lived in Colinna, I am willing to have known any of the other party members that want to be known, bearing in mind that she lived in an orphanage and then later with what would pass for a theives guild, assuming that theives guilds exist on Mizana.

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
I chose to go with a bard. The character is posted in the rogues gallery.

I took a quick look at the two other posted characters and saw possible connections with both of them. But only if the DM accepts my background idea.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Rybaer--on your questions. (1) Yes, but no. Yes, you can purchase extra spells, but the standard convention is that they don't cost you a scroll purchase, just scribing costs. Remember that scribing costs are 100 gp per spell level, and you get... um... 120 gp to start. :)

(2) Yes, but don't abuse it... and again remember you only have 120 gp.

Shalimar: General character concept looks good. Be forwarned that a thief may not be looked well upon by other party members, so be ready to either (1) explain yourself (the 'rob from the rich, give to the poor' thing will help) or (2) lie about your background. :) Also, are you certain you intend to play such a young character (16)?

Zerth: I like the character. Cool background. Go ahead and make connections with the other characters if Shalimar and Rybaer are cool with it. One note: Baril probably hasn't heard much beyond extremely vague rumors about the evil wizard, though as a Bard he's the one most likely to have heard.

Cast of characters in the first post to be updated in just a moment. I'd like to start by next weekend, so please get your characters in soon!

We have cannon fodder

Alright the vitals for Nojin Silverspikes are in, a good old dwarven fighter to take the blows up front. I want to flesh out description and background a little bit more before posting, but I will make it worth while.

Shalimar

First Post
Yea, I do want her to be that young, if I make her much older she'll be farther along in her theiving career then she already is. I'd like her to run with a little sister type quality, people might get annoyed at her antics but she generally means well, a human kender if you are familiar with Dragon Lance.

Now that some of the characters are in, I'm considering a Human Cleric, Human Sorcerer or a Human Monk. I should have a final decision posted tomorrow.

Toric

Last edited:

Shalimar, I too am considering a fairly young character. I figure that a Human 1st level character is probably fairly young. Whether I go Cleric, Monk, or Sorcerer, I'm thinking of having him be no more than about 18 years old. If he's a Monk, he'll be just out of the monastery. If he's a Cleric, he'll be just finishing up his training at a temple. If he's a Sorcerer, he'd probably have been doing something else when he discovered that he had magical abilities. Either way, he might have known your character in Colinna if you'd like to link our characters together given that both are human and both are young. Maybe they travelled together to Alten's Rock. If you want to do something like that, let me know.

Toric

Shalimar

First Post
It depends on what he is, she definitely would have wanted some company considering the results of her last journey. If he were a lawful cleric she would probably avoid him, heck, a lawful anything she would like to avoid. I'm up for it if you are though.

Last edited:

LazarusLong42

First Post
Shalimar: Sounds good to me. It was just a bit young and I wanted to make sure. :)

Casar: Looks OK at first glance, I'll look at it more in-depth tomorrow.

For all:

(1) Someone *is* going to think about being a healer. Right?

(2) A note on pronunciation, because I didn't mention it before. You'll notice a number of Denaril names have double consonants in them (Rinell, Colinna, Mossus, and so forth). The double letter indicates the stressed syllable, which comes directly before the double: ri-NELL, not RIN-ell.

(No, I suppose you don't *need* to know. But it's built into the system, so you night as well know, ne?)

Remove ads