Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Hmm... I can't find any rules on identifying wands! An identify spell will do the trick, or... well, let's say spellcraft DC 25+spell level, since scrolls are DC 20+spell level. If you can find the reference, tell me.

Tommy stares at the wands for a long time, but he can't figure out what they do. All he knows is that each has a faint aura, one of evocation, the other of illusion.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: it's a notorious rule lacuna. So what I'm wondering is whether Keldar could take a wand and repeatedly make DC 20 UMD checks until it either works (on a 15 or above), or he rolls a 1, which stops him from trying for 24 hours. Or would he need to make a DC 25 activate blindly check (which is a lot more dangerous)? If he gets it to work, could then Tommy use spellcraft to identify the resulting spell effect? Would that be DC 15+level or something else? Would that be enough to then let Tommy use the wand? Or is this all getting too complicated?

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: As Trouvere says, as far as I know there aren't any fixed rules on the subject. There's a Save My Game article that suggests Spellcraft DC 30, which is 25 + the minimum caster level to create wands, so your 25+spell level is certainly not unreasonable. :) The wands page of the SRD says that 30% of wands have marks giving a clue to their purpose. If you decide to use something involving spellcraft, you should probably clarify whether one can take 20 or not.

I think we'd probably want to pick Cassandra's brains about them before shelling out 100g for an identify.

Solange

First Post
Trouvere said:
"Oh," says Keldar, disconcerted. "You're glinting and unyielding again. Ready for a battle, not a holiday."
"It's all I really have with me, and you never know what you need, but I don't need to carry around everything," Rapture says, indicating the lack of her bow, backpack, and shield.

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar nods, unwilling to speak in front of the others. "Ready, then?" He seems anxious to be away, and begins walking as he talks. "There were a few things I thought to look for in the shops, but if I cannot find them, then no matter. I have a few crowns left, so if there is anything you need, please just ask. If the weather holds, I thought to walk across the fields to clear my head."

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Rapture]"Well, I thought so," Keldar answers. "I just wanted to talk to you alone. Rapture," he says tentatively, "last night... we..." He breaks off.

"It is difficult to talk like this in the street, in the sunlight, with the sounds of everyday life all around, and birds - happily singing, oblivious to me! It should be night, and we should be sitting by lamplight, or at the least, in a window seat, staring out at grey mist, with rain beating on the glass."

He tries again. "Rapture, I met you only a week ago, but it seems to me that I have known you much longer. From almost the first moment I- No, set aside that. You know well, or can guess, where my heart lies. That is a small matter."

Keldar reaches for Rapture's hand. "Let me speak of last night. I brought you to tears of hurt and shame, and you spoke bitter angry words. Rapture...."[/sblock]

Solange

First Post
[sblock=Keldar]"You know naught of where I came from, and my burdon of being free, which none should have to bear. I am far from what a proper woman should be, and my past is by burdon to bear. Most would flee if they knew where I came from, and what I have done," Rapture says as they walk further down the road. "What you said hurt not because of you, but because of me, and for that, I am sorry."[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Rapture]"No... your words made clear things that I should have understood much sooner, and so spared you pain." Keldar's grip on her hand tightens. Perhaps he fears she will pull away.

"You were held in slavery, and hired out as a... as a courtesan. This is so, is it not? But you fled and found yourself a new life, and now, now you are favoured of Valessa, so do not doubt your worth. Dearest... I would have asked you these things last night, but your kiss stopped my words. Do not, I beg, turn me away again, even in so sweet a manner."

Keldar takes a deep breath. "I would have you tell me of two men... the one who cared for you who died, and the other, the one you called Master."[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Wand Stuff: ]
Trouvere said:
OOC: it's a notorious rule lacuna. So what I'm wondering is whether Keldar could take a wand and repeatedly make DC 20 UMD checks until it either works (on a 15 or above), or he rolls a 1, which stops him from trying for 24 hours. Or would he need to make a DC 25 activate blindly check (which is a lot more dangerous)? If he gets it to work, could then Tommy use spellcraft to identify the resulting spell effect? Would that be DC 15+level or something else? Would that be enough to then let Tommy use the wand? Or is this all getting too complicated?
It's so crazy... It just might work! I'm pretty sure Keldar would use the DC 20 wand rule (the DC 25 activate blindly is for wondrous items, I think...) The skill description says "a particular spell" though, so Keldar may need to know what the spell is, which completely defeats the purpose... But I'm willing to overlook that, since the rules are silent on the matter of identifying wands.

Cassandra might know, she's only 15 minutes away.[/sblock]

Outside, dark storm clouds roll in from the north. Far off to the east, towards Orussus, you can see flashes of lightning every now and then. At about 9 in the morning, it begins to sprinkle, and by the looks of things, the day will only get worse.

OOC: Don't mean to contradict you, Trouvere, but Wik has it storming hard over in The Search for Tomas, so it only makes sense.

Remove ads