Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Thyrin looks up at Keldar's words with a huge grin. "Ah yes, the adventures of Sir Raynedil! I simply love Lakeward's work, it's very relaxing to read something simple after burying my head in these arcane formulae all day. Are you a fan? Have you read 'Sir Raynedil and the Kind Mind Flayer'? It's one of my favorites."

"But I digress... Bazdek Quickfoot, you say? The hero? Well, I won't ruin it for you, but I suggest you read on. Ahem... 'Hung on a golden chain around the rogue's neck is what looks to be a hand wrapped in cloth.' Now, this is only page thirteen, but somewhere around here we discover that.... Aha, 'The key to the chest soars through the air across the chasm into Bezdak's waiting grasp. "Ha! Killing that elf was totally worth it," he shouts to Sir Raynedil as he gives the clothed hand around his neck a little kiss. "Thanks Thelaquos, and thank you, Raynedil. Enjoy your stay!" ' So you see, Keldar, Bazdek 's hand is actually a mummified elf hand. I think Lakeward wrote a side series about Bazdek Quickfoot, Thelaquos' death was quite gruesome... In any case, Rilithorne and I have found a way around the need for any dead things. A gauntlet infused with some elemental energy from the planes of air and fire will function just the same. As a matter of fact..."
Thyrin grins and points his finger at the book Galwynn is holding. The book floats gently up and glides into Thyrin's waiting grasp. "I've made one for myself." Pulling open his robes just a bit, he reveals a small metallic gauntlet on a necklace, resting against his pale chest.

Thyrin opens the book, "I don't need information about her, I just wanted some pictures, master Galwynn. Mm, yes, wheat, children, the sun. You don't want to look like Sir Raynedil do you? Might tarnish your reputation as the warrior for the common man... let's do this: we'll give the metal a beaten look, I can have my earth elementals assist me with that... We can give it some artistically placed rust, a few pictograms... Why, you'll look right at home in it, master Galwynn. A true paladin of Halina, I think."

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I'm not ignoring this thread, I'm just having trouble making up my mind. Tommy is likely to take Craft Wondrous Item at level 3, which could happen at any time now. ;) And I don't see him wearing armor or using weapons much. So for him, Thyrin's offer is essentially equivalent to 1500g plus 120xp (up to around 150xp if Tommy spends more money), plus not having to think about craft points just yet (which is worth something). Tommy really needs cash right now for scribing spells -- but xp is hard to turn down. Argh. I think as it stands, I'll take the cash, but if Thyrin could be persuaded to work out some kind of deal for cheaper spell scribing... I'm thinking that Tommy will ask in character if Thyrin could throw in some spell scribing supplies instead of the xp he would have spent on crafting. Unfortunately I'll be late for something in meatspace if I write that post now, though. :\ [/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: Larry Birchwald, not Barry Lakeward! Enworld is just full of third rate hack novelists!

Keldar watches the tome float through the air open-mouthed. "Oh yes, that's what I'd like. When won't that be useful? And I'm very glad to hear that things have moved on from the days of creepy elf hands. I couldn't wear one of those."

After a while, he says "No, I'm discovering Birchwald for the first time. I was finding this one even funnier comparing Galwynn to Raynedil. So Bazdek isn't the hero? I thought the charming but dangerous rogue was always the hero. I bet he gets the girl at the end, though, right?"

Boddynock

First Post
[sblock=covaithe]covaithe, Craft Points really aren't such a hassle to work with - but you will find when you take CWI that they quickly become a limiting factor for you. That's why I ended up asking for wondrous items for Tarag, rather than asking Thyrin to enchant something the dwarf had already crafted (like his morningstar).

Tarag's going to take CWI at 3rd level, too - but there are way too many cool and/or useful items for him ever to be able to craft them all. Of course, because his main focus is as a crafter, that's more of an issue for him than it may be for Tommy.[/sblock]

Solange

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
"And for you, milady, a weapon like the one you already have but enchanted, and a cloak of resistance, very appropriate, and you'll provide 167 crowns and 5 shields to cover the extra costs. A shield though, I'm afraid that'll be a bit much, unless you can cover the additional 628 and a half gold pieces, bringing your total to 796 crowns. If you can pay it...? Ah, my unseen servant will come in handy today..." Did he just do all that math in his head?

[sblock=OOC: ]Darkwood Shield Math:
7, Heavy Wooden Shield (base)
+150, MW
+100, Darkwood (10lbs * 10gp)
+1000, +1 enchantment
=1257 / 2 = 628.5gp[/sblock]
"M'lord, I would ask only for the shield instead of the cloak. I know not if I can afford that though," Rapture says politely.

[sblock=ooc]2335 +1 Bastard Sword
+1257 +1 Heavy Darkwood Shield
=2592
592 / 2 = 296gp
So, I'm only short that, which means I can afford it if we get extra hazard pay :)[/sblock]
Wik said:
OOC: It's kind of funny how Galwynn (offensive focus) is building up on his AC, while Rapture (more of a defensive Paladin) is building on a magical weapon.

Methinks we'll hit Equilibrium, you and I.
OOC: Where did you get the impression I was more defensive? If I could have afforded a Mithril Breastplate, I might have gone that route, but Plate is binding and heavy, so I'm not sure I wants to go that route yet.

Solange

First Post
[sblock=OOC: Tommy]Perhaps he can let you copy some spells of his for free, or provide scribing materials or something. I'm sure you can also get some scrolls for yourself too. Maybe he can make you, or has a wand you might like?[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=Rae]I've been following this off and on. Looks like you're wraping up. Need me to award you GM credits?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy stands quietly, lost in thought, while the others chat excitedly about their new magic items. At last he approaches Thyrin during a quiet moment. "Thyrin, I've been thinking. I was remembering the legend of how Arimisfotel the Wise, when he was in the court of Sairundan, would refuse gifts from courtiers seeking his influence, because he said they took up space that he needed for books. I find myself sympathizing; there are many useful magical items, but... When my friends and I were battling your elemental guardians, it became clear that the spells I learned at the Academy are simply not adequate for the adventuring life. I need to fill my spellbook, and as I'm sure you know, that isn't cheap. I, uh, felt it necessary, since you were trapped, to examine one of your spellbooks, and a number of scrolls, just to see if there was anything in there that could help us free you, and some of the things I read in there... Well, I don't understand them all, but I feel that I'm on the brink of understanding spells much more complex and potent than anything I know now. In fact, I have some ideas... ah, but now isn't the time for that. My point is this: I need is to write new spells into my spellbook, so I need arcane writing supplies more than I need magical items right now. Is there any way that you can help me? I know it seems ungrateful to ask this after your very generous offer, but I feel I owe it to my friends to learn as much as I can. The next spell I scribe may save one of their lives."

[sblock=ooc]And I know it's a bit ungrateful of me as a player to try to talk the DM into changing the reward just because it's not quite as useful to my character as it is to others, so I'll understand if you say no, Rae. But Tommy has IC reasons, so I thought I'd give it a shot.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Solange said:
"M'lord, I would ask only for the shield instead of the cloak. I know not if I can afford that though," Rapture says politely.
"If you can't, I'll help out," says Keldar quietly. He looks at his money pouch. "Oh. Once Galwynn pays me back for those expensive healing potions I poured down his throat to save his life, twice. Which he can do if he borrows some money from Tarag. Which Tarag can lend him once I've paid for the Warbray rapier and a beautiful composite longbow. Which I can buy if I borrow some money from Tommy. There, all sorted."

Remove ads