Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Boddynock

First Post
"Thank you, Master Mage. We'll see you again soon - and I look forward to working with you at some stage! In the meantime, we'll get your notes safely to Rilithorne. Hmm, and I'd be keen to speak to you when we return about your forge - you've given me a few ideas I'd like to try out."

Tarag smiles and nods to Thyrin ... but it's clear that his mind is already on the complexities of a new forge.

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy follows Thyrin around like a puppy, peppering him with questions and watching carefully over his shoulder as he disables the field excluding Cassandra from the building.

[sblock=ooc]Ok, if I understand right, Tommy gets 1500g and can copy level 1 spells for 75g or level 2 spells for 150g. I've been using this post as the list of spells Thyrin has available, but he just cast Dispel Magic, which isn't in that list, and Tommy used up the scroll of Knock, so it's worth asking what other spells he has available. Tommy at least wants Identify, Tenser's Floating Disk, Arcane Lock, Flaming Sphere, Rope Trick, Fox's Cunning, and Owl's Wisdom, totalling 900g at the costs listed above.

Obviously all this writing is going to take some downtime; not sure when you want to fit that in. Tommy definitely wants to go along to give the notes to Rilithorne.[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Thyrin has his primary spell book, secondary saferoom spell book, and countless scrolls. He has all of those spells you just mentioned, and if you want others, he probably has those too, he'll just have to find them somewhere.

After Thyrin fixes the containment field, you all head out, notes on the aether in hand. It's past noon, though it's difficult to tell thanks to the heavy cloud cover. You notice that the blue containment field that was once over the top floors of the tower is now gone. After passing through Grenton, it's only a few more hours of travel through light drizzle into Orussus.

The rain falls harder here, the streets are mostly empty. The lights of nearby houses are lit, people are staying inside. You keep the notes wrapped tightly in a leather sack to keep them dry. Rilithorne's tower is near the center of town, on Allimon Street, on the north side of the road near the harbor. The Red Dragon Inn is not on the way, but it is nearby, about 4 blocks away.

You reach the tower. It is 60' in diameter and looks to be 3 stories tall. Outside, swaying in the wind, hangs a sign that reads:

[smallcaps]Rilithorne, Mage.[/smallcaps]
Commissions welcome, inquire within.
Please knock before entering.

You knock.

Moments later, the door is opened by what appears to be the floating upper torso of a featureless manikin wearing a butler's longtailed coat. A voice emits from the butler's smooth, wooden head: "Welcome all. Please, enter."

Entering the tower, you find yourselves in a plush waiting room. Three different couches are artfully aranged around a coffee table, which sits upon an expensive looking rug. A small pedestal dominates the northernmost portion of the room.

The walls are hung with 3 paintings, one of which appears to be a portrait of a Human Wizard of about 30 to 40 years. The other two are landscape scenes, one of a snow covered mountain and another of a country road in fall, with leaves in many colors.

Two doors lead out of the waiting room, besides the one you just came through. A door to the east, and one to the west. Both are closed. The butler takes a position atop the pedestal. "May I assume you are present in the capacity of customers?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
He'll have plenty of time after the notes are delivered.
[SBLOCK=OOC]Generally, giving arbitrary crafting time with no craft point cost at the beginning or end of an adventure is frowned upon, it's similar to the possibility that a GM might make an adventure with no encounters in it that just gives the PCs time to craft without CP cost. The purpose of the rule that allows CP to be ignored when crafting/scribing/etc on an adventure is meant to allow the days of actual adventure transit (or days of stalling the adventure and letting the bad guys get an advantage while you wait) to count for you instead of the CP, so that there's always a price to pay. Of course, if the wizard provided scrolls or such of the spells that Tommy wanted, Tommy could use the travel time back to Orussus for scribing.[/SBLOCK]

Boddynock

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC: Tommy doesn't need to use CP to copy spells into his spellbook.
OOC: Oh yeah, of course.

But RA's raised a point I'd like to follow up. Rae, I asked before if Tarag needed to spend CP in game to scribe a scroll. You said he did, so that's what I've done ... but RA talks about not using CP in game, which was my understanding of the situation previously. Now I'm happy to take this to general discussion but seeing as there are at least three judges dropping by (I'm not counting myself ;) ) perhaps I could get some clarification please?

IC: "No, we're not customers. We're the adventurers Master Rilithorne sent to pick up the mage Thyrin's notes on the aether ... and a hard time we've had of it, too."

Remove ads