• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Wik

First Post
Galwynn, HP 19/19

For once in his life, Galwynn agrees with Keldar, and maintains a vigil next to the rogue, keeping an eye on the dais. While he waits, he looks at the ache on his side, and mumbles "You've got me keeping an eye a piece of furniture, 'She of Unusual Humour'. Could you at least heal the bruise you so gleefully inflicted upon me?"

Grumbling, he rubs his side, and grins awkwardly when the wound heals. "Thanks. I'm sure I'll see some of your handiwork later, when I'm attacked by enchanted cutlery?" The nature of his tone is filled with biting sarcasm, but it's the fond sarcasm that one might exchange with a close sister.

OOC: Used Lay on Hands to heal up to full.

Trouvere

Explorer
"'cos if neither room is a bathroom, I've just had a crazy idea about the elemental in this fireplace that might just work," says Keldar.

Wik

First Post
"You're not peeing on it, thief. You'd make Rapture die of laughter." Galwynn growls, never taking his eye off the slowly forming elementals.

Trouvere

Explorer
"You've obviously forgotten the middle verses of the song I sang on that glorious day you first met me, Galwynn," says Keldar, in apparent disagreement.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Tommy merely glances around the room and decides that the most likely place for the mechanism is beneath the dais. With a sharp tug, the dais comes up out of the stone floor, leaving only a small disk at the center for the rock to rest on (the rock is firmly attached). The disk is supported by 6 columns of wax, and directly beneath the disk is a small leather bag, overflowing with dirt. Runes in white chalk mark the ground beneath and around the disk.

[sblock=Knowledge (Arcane) DC: 16 (Trained only) ]The small bag and the wax columns (which probably have wicks in their centers, making them what are colloquially known as 'unlit candles') are components for an arcane spell to temporarily summon allies from another plane.[/sblock]

Tarag opens the cupboard under the stairs and finds nothing remarkable: a few brooms, mops and buckets, a closed barrel full of some liquid, and assorted tools, large and small, including a big heavy sledge hammer. There are plenty of candles and a strangely large quantity of small leather bags and white sticks of chalk in one of the drawers.

As you all chat and Tommy and Tarag poke around, you notice that the rock and the flames are growing at a much faster rate. It's quite obvious to everyone now that the embers are getting redder and the rock is getting larger. Tiny tongues of flame begin to dance in the fireplace. The rock has actually formed two leg-like supports, and is now more like an arch than a simple rock.

30 seconds have passed since you set up your positions, it is now 12:19:30 PM

Trouvere

Explorer
"Tommy, do you think it would be a good idea for me, or you, to remove those candles and things, right now?" asks Keldar. "Otherwise, I think as many of us as can fit should get ready to hit the fire elemental over here. And whoever can't should get well back from the slow earth elemental and tackle it from a distance with spells or bows. How's that rope trick going? My money safe?"

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy Worthallingham, Human Wizard 2, 12 AC 9 HP

Keldar said:
"Tommy, do you think it would be a good idea for me, or you, to remove those candles and things, right now?"

"Yes! Here, stand aside." Tommy kneels and starts removing the wax and the bag of dirt. "The wax and the bag of dirt are obviously spell components. If I'm right, removing them should disable the summoning mechanism," he explains as he works.

ooc: kn(arcana): 1d20+11=30 Oh, my bulging brain!

Trouvere

Explorer
"Good, good," says Keldar encouragingly. "It doesn't look as though any kind of trap is going to crush your hands into bloody pancakes severed at the wrists. Really, you're doing fine."

Solange

First Post
"Well, let's dispose of them then," Rapture says.

She grabs the bag of dirt and the wax columns and takes them away from the dais. "Candles with no wick? Wish I'd though of those. Hot wax can hurt." she says, to no one in particular and she takes them aside, away from the runes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads