[Nov 2015] What Are You Reading

RPO is such a fun read. But it’s hard to separate it from the joyous nostalgia.

Currently finishing up a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, the collection of G.R.R. Martin’s Dunk and Egg novellas. It’s really good. Only having one POV makes for a much more focused tale.

Just finished "Ready Player One". It was fun and definitely worth the read, but also a little pulpy.

Jhaelen

First Post
I just finished 'Intrusion' by Ken MacLeod. I enjoyed it a lot more than 'Descent', which I'd read right before that. Not his best work either, but very thought-provoking and close enough to today's technology that it makes you wonder what it would take for our society to become just like this. My one major nitpick would be how he gets the protagonists off the hook using a barely concealed 'deus-ex-machina' device in the end.

Anyway, now I'm back to pondering the question what to read next. Is it time for another novel by Christopher Priest already? Probably...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Starting The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester. So far it is hilarious and witty. Seems ahead of its time considering that Asimov's Foundation came out not too long before. Maybe because Bester is a better writer it makes him look more modern.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hmm, 'The Demolished Man' is one of the few novels that was awarded with a Hugo that I didn't enjoy. I suppose, though, it's mainly because it very clearly showed its age.

delericho

Legend
Having finished both "One Hundred Years of Solitude" and "The Long Mars", I'm now reading Bernard Cornwell's "Waterloo". Which is interesting - it's very definitely history as written by a novelist, which means it's really approachable, but if you want serious history you're probably better looking elsewhere.

Next up will be "Dragons at Crumbling Castle" by Pratchett, and then "The Frood" - a biography of Douglas Adams (which was a Christmas present last year).

Finished The Name of the Wind. On a re-read, its flaws are more readily apparent, but the writing itself is so beautiful that it’s easy to forgive them.

Next up is N.K. Jemisin’s The Broken Kingdoms.

Jhaelen

First Post
Yesterday I started with 'The Extremes' by Christopher Priest. It's still too early to really say anything about it, yet, though.

Remove ads