Nova Wars Baby!

slingbld

Explorer
BUMP

A Final bump in hopes of learning what happened with Ralts and Nova Wars....
Love the stuff and recently started plumbing the old bookmarked threads for sci-fi ideas. came across this one and have spent the last hour pouring over it....

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Well, I'll be adapting a few ideas I've picked up over the last few years.

First of all is to get rid of any fractional mathematics when creating things. I think we had enough of squared and fractions making cyberdecks in Shadowrun 2.0.

I've been looking over the spaceship and weapon and armor creation rules, and saw a lot of things I'd do differently.

The wonderful thing about this setting is it's the setting that matters, not so much the system.

A problem right now is the loss of d20 Modern and d20 Future as far as the ability to buy it goes.

I've had a little experience with rewriting game systems as well as developing game systems for the past few years, and I'm thinking about doing some work on this thread to revamp my skills and blow the rust off of my imagination and see what I can get hauling.

d20 Future has a few problems, which is that it comes down less to what your AC is, when aim assist, reflexive triggers, auto-aim, aim-bots, and stuff like that can affect a to hit roll, and more how much you have for shields and armor plating.

Which means that I just might have to think over AC a bit.

Making all armors AC: 10 (modded for size) with deflection shields adding a deflection bonus and reflexive defenses adding some stuff, it might simplify armor combat rules.

I had some ideas about the armor, rereading my old stuff, and keeping the armor stuff modular, presenting the rules, and then a few examples, would probably be the best way to do it.

One thing about Nova Wars is scope.

The PC's aren't going to be facing a Domination Class Auto-Tank one on one unless they're wearing PL8 or PL9 armor and the auto-tank is PL6 or PL7, since it would be a man sized person taking on a football stadium that shoots back. It's keeping the size and combat ability disparity intact so that the GM and players can decide: Are we crew members/commanders of PL8 main battle tanks capable of wiping out cities, or are we Med-Corps rescuers who drop down on the planet in unarmored armor and try to rescue citizens from a natural disaster, or are we Bounty Hunter Guild members out to stop the Ruthless Killer who's just made landfall on a small colony?

I think I need to start with the basics for weaponry, armor, vehicles, and worry about spaceships later.

Spaceships are what really got to me. Those nearly gave me a nervous breakdown, but I think I figured out the problem.

But, I think I'll look over this and figure out where I need to start as well as get my head back in the Nova Wars frame of mind.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Setting it up:

Right now, there aren't any "real" maps for the systems, the core, and the arms then what has been posted here. Over the last few years I've lost drives, had computers melt down, and moved, so stuff like the old Nova War maps are gone. However, it doesn't mean that it can't be played easily. Now, back in the day I used to use the old System Generation rules in the back of my ratty old copy of Traveller (circa 1985) to generate the systems and we just moved on. But, that doesn't mean that you can't just make stuff up.

The GM needs to poll the players and see what kind of game they expect, or let the players know what kind of game he has ready. You're going to want different characters/stat-point spread depending on the campaign. Terran Marine campaign is going to use a lot of clones and soul-chip where exploratory core one or a merchant marine one.

But, you have to get started: So, I'd suggest a heroic stat-bloc (18, 17, 16, 15, 13, 12) which might seem powerful until you realize that everyone can reach cybernetic implants and bio-implants to adjust their stats. Hell, gene therapy can adjust stats. And speaking of gene therapy, lets take a look at it.

The "Perfect Terran Descent" standard is 17's across the board. The "average" TD stat-wise is no longer 9-10 but rather 13-14, due to long term genetic sequencing and improvements that have gone on so long that the old Terran stocks are pretty much lost.

Genetic Tweaking can be used to 'boost' a stat, which is why Terran Descent get a +2 to any stat at first level. There's a graduated formula for how much it costs to get genetic enhancement along with vat-grown tissue replacements and cybernetic implants, which will boost everything from Strength to Charisma.

Once you get the stats (HOORAY) go ahead and hit up the rest of your group and decide what kind of characters you want to have. Now, if you're running a Terran Marine one, you'd want all combat and combat support stuff. If you're doing the majority of the rest of them you'll want to have a nicely interlocking party. But let's take a look at how Nova Wars, with high tech (most of it geared for warfare) changes things.

Strong: Strong is much less of a core class when characters can have Grade IV Str implants and boot themselves up to 22/28 really easy, or strap on a suit of Goblin IV power armor and rip through ferrocrete with their bare hands. HOWEVER, strong characters are great for colony, exploration, and med-corps campaigns since there will be a lot of times there will be limitations on armor and other stuff. I would not recommend them for military campaigns. Strong class characters do make great cyborgs or genejacks, and all strong characters are given enhancements right off the bat.

Tough: One of the advantages here is that tough characters can pack in the cybernetics and genejacks. With it based on Con they can really slap it in.

Fast: Fast are mainly pilots and gunners, and usually slam in the reflex boosting cybernetics and genejacks. Bounty Hunters specializing in fast-draw work great, of course. Most fast characters have small, wiry bodies and big heads with wide spread large eyes.

Smart: Yeah. You can figure this one.

Charismatic: EVERY Group except a Terran Marine group needs one of these, and Terran Marines who want rank need to take at least one level in this. These guys will handle port landings, dealing with officials, greasing palms in the underworld, and getting equipment for the group.

Anyway, once that is done, you go through and start grabbing gear. Now, if you're playing a Terran Marine campaign you've got your basic loadout, so you don't need to worry about buying equipment since you'll have your basic loadout.

Now, from what I found out during YotZ playtests is that a lot of GM's shy away from giving the PC's military grade hardware. But a GM needs to realize in Nova Wars there's a difference between military grade equipment and military surplus and planetary defense gear.

Remember in Starship Troopers they carried normal rifles, and at the end they showed the dude blowing off the top of a hill with a single rifle shot? Yeah, Terran Confederacy mil-surplus compared to gear of the line. Your players aren't going to need 5d100 (ignored first 50 points of hardness) atomic rifle carried by Terran Marine heavy weapons troops because of the splash, which would annihilate a city block but just damages friggen auto-tanks. Fire one of those in an asteriod with a dome settlement and the dome will explode into fragments of duraplast and everyone will die.

Yeah, the characters can pack heavy weaponry, but they aren't going to want to pull the trigger in a lot of habitats, so don't be afraid to let them buy it. Some of those worlds have 'legacy' creates that can take the damage like they were living tanks. (Yes, Virginia, there are dragons. Big, armored, plasma vomiting, flying, killing dragons)

Now, they'll need a starship.

Now, in most Space Opera games that's a hard part.

The thing with Nova Wars is the "Breaker Yards" (Usually out at Lagrange Points or by the foundries out at the gas giants or asteroid belts) are FULL of vessels. You can have the first adventure where they're searching old wrecks looking for a good one, salvaging one that is on a parabolic arc, or buying a REALLY cheap on at a Terran Confederacy auction.

Like I've stated: I'd recommend something like the Airhart. Good engines, good life support, spacious, cargo room, cryo bays, med-bays. A ship is more than just a high tech horse, it is their base, their home, where they store their loot, and where they live.

Ships NEED weapons and shields in the Nova Wars universe. It's a dangerous galaxy out there. Yeah, it might seem like 6,500 years would let the various civilizations clean up the galaxy, but it's a big ol' galaxy out there and the G'Tak Empire is more about holding onto their territory and there is still a LOT of war debris. Worlds still charred, slammed back to the Stone Age, killer satellites, stuff like that. So having that ship be armed is a big thing, and you don't want the players to worry about losing their ship by hitting a piece of debris in hyperspace and blowing their ship to parts.

OK, next I'll go over the various groups (again) that the players can join in order to further their adventures.

Everything from Medical Corps to Decommissioned Marines.

Remove ads