• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[November] What are you reading?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Audiobooks: Finished up Nutmeg of Consolation, am now listening to The Prestige, will go on to The Truelove after that. The Prestige is quite good.

Book books: I'm going to pick up The Infernal City (novel by Gregory Keyes set in the world of The Elder Scrolls video games, my understanding is it's about 40 years after the Oblivion Crisis) today.

Crothian

First Post
I'm reading this great book from the pulp genre Plunder of the Sun by David Dodge. It is sixty years old, but it holds up very well. It has adventure, shady characters, double crosses, hot dames, and takes place throughout South America.

Rykion

Explorer
I finished Butcher's Turn Coat and also read C.C. Finlay's A Spell for the Revolutuion. I haven't decided if I'll read the last book in Finlay's Traitor to the Crown series. I enjoyed The Patriot Witch, but A Spell for the Revolution felt too slow.

I'm currently reading Relic by Preston and Childs. I only have a chapter or so left to go. Glen Cook's Black Company books are up next.

In gaming books, I'm reading Hackmaster Basic. I hope to start a campaign in the next couple weeks, but I suspect the holidays will push it back until January.

I've read more in the past weeks than I've read in several months! The time on the plane to and from Los Angeles needed to be spent.

I read two Eberron Novels recently, the first two books from the Lanternlight Files (?), the second this month.
In LA, I bought Heat Wave and Flash Forward, and I read them both on the way back. I enjoyed both. It was interesting to see the difference between the novel and the TV series inspired by the novel.

I also got Unseen Alchemicals but I have not started reading them yet. If I had known that my RPG evening today would be cancelled, I could have started that.

I just finished Mieville's The City & The City. He writes dang well, and the play on geography and cartography was engaging, but this is the second book of his which left me underwhelmed by the ending. If I'm going to spend hours reading a thriller novel, I want the ending to be more dramatic. C'mon, you're supposed to reveal the truth of the mystery first, then have the dramatic climax provoked by the revelation. You're not supposed to have the big climax of a thriller be talking.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just finished Gregory Keyes' The Born Queen, concluding the "Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone" series.

About to start either Enemies and Allies, by Kevin Anderson (Batman and Superman back in the beginning of the Cold War), or Jack Faust by Michael Swanwick.

Remove ads