• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Now You all know The bards and their songs..."

Darklone

Yupp. My bbn2/rog2/bard4 loved TWF with sneak attack, rage, flank, bulls strength and singing. Go crit!

It's far from overpowered, but often pretty useful.

Loincloth: Certainly, brd4 is nice if you combine it with fighterclasses. Being not a tank was meant to apply to mainly bard multiclass combinations.

Lodow MoBo

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
what I dislike though, is that I get the feeling that the bard is basically prety useless unless he's buffing the party. with a rogue, you can use some sneaky strategies to get the upper hand, a nice tumble check and WHAM sneak attack ftw. with a ninja same thing. Sometimes I feel like the bard is a poorly loved rogue with a couple of spells, a bloke who knows how to sing a couple of songs and stories, but can't rly make much of a stand in the battlefield.

I Played a bard from level 3 to lvl 9. He was the coolest character, I have played to date. If your game play is dungeon crawl after dungeon crawl you will probably not be happy. At first I wanted my character to be kick ass in a fight. That did not happen. In any kind of dialog situation he was king. The bard effect does not need to be song. His was oratory. I could tell a story and facinate and suggest with great ability. If you read the wording of the abilities it does not suggest that you are obviously "casting" since its worked into you perform. Imagine if your ability is percussion. By druming you fingers you could suggest the guard let you go. As spells go Charm Monster brought 2 BBG in hand.

At level 10 there are a few great Prestige classes.
One has a 6d6 cone whose DC is set by perform, which means d20 +16 min. Ths is close to warlock type dmg. Limited by bard song but thats usually around 15 at that time.

A different one gives access to all wizard spells and a big bump in spell casting.

Another bard trick is:
if you can play a race which has a diffrent sub-type. This opens up the Alter self spell. My guy was an elf homebrew race which happened to be a fey subtype. This allowed me to Change to a saytr and pixie, which was pretty cool.

Anyway don't sell the bard short.

I would not recommend a pure bard if you play hack and slash type sessions.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
i should be rolling this guy's stats in a day or two

Lodow MoBo, I get your point of view. our games usually have us hanging around a city and doing several missions until we hit the "main campaign" so bard should be pretty good :D

Remove ads