[NPC Optimization] How best to make a mounted combatant? (My players stay out!)

Spatula

Explorer
I don't have my book with me, but IIRC the augment text for Offensive Prescience is a copy & paste of the augment text for Offensive Precognition. But then I'm not operating on much sleep and maybe my mind is screwing with me...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Slight update -- Urbanmech's comment about this being a complicated fight really made me think, because I don't want to get bogged down. I think I'll simplify a little. Thus, the dragon that's being ridden is now being changed to a bauriar (a Planescape goat-centaur) barbarian. That leaves me with a fun pair of mobile adversaries who are mounted meatshields, a draconic assassin, a wilder, and an illusion-based sorcerer to help distract people. That should work nicely.

Thanks again for the help, folks!

shilsen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Thus, the dragon that's being ridden is now being changed to a bauriar (a Planescape goat-centaur) barbarian.

Don't forget to give the bariaur mount a lance and the Spirited Charge feat too :D

silentspace

First Post
How would that work? Would the bariaur have to take Mounted Combat (mounting himself?), and Ride-by Attack too? Would he need to have ranks in Ride? Just wondering. :p

shilsen

Adventurer
silentspace said:
How would that work? Would the bariaur have to take Mounted Combat (mounting himself?), and Ride-by Attack too? Would he need to have ranks in Ride? Just wondering. :p

I can definitely see someone arguing that by the rules, it's not possible. Then again, the 3e MotP had a centaur-like demon (the armanite) which was treated as having the Mounted Combat feat for feat selection purposes and Savage Species says that centaurs can take the mounted feats, so there's some precedent for arguing that such creatures can benefit from the feats. It was just a mean enough combo for me to suggest it :)

Pax

Banned
Banned
Actually, you could also go with a Dragonnel for a mount. Draconomicon, pp151-152. In brief:

Large Dragon
HD: 6d12+6 (45hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40', fly 90' (average)
AC: 16 (-1 size, +1 dex, +6 natural)
BAB/Grapple: +7/+15
Attack: Bite +9 melee (2d6+4) or claw +4 melee (1d8+2)
Full Attack: bite and two claws
Special Attacks: Roar (30' radius, DC14 will or be shaken 1d6 rounds)
Qualities: darkvision 60', immune to sleep/paralysis, low-light, scent
Saves: F6/R6/W6
Abilities: Str19, Dex13, Con12, Int6, Wis12, Cha10
Feats: ability focus (roar), alertness, improved initiative

Special: Paladins of 9th or higher level can choose a Dragonnel as a special mount, nd it gains abilities as the mount of a paladin four levels lower.

So a Paladin of Chaos or Tyranny would be able to pick one of these up just fine, without even spending feats on it. ^_^

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You'll be amused to know that the group spent half the game splitting up loot and grinning at their new-found wealth, and half the game trying to identify a wheel of moldy cheese. I'm guessing that this will get used NEXT game. :)

silentspace

First Post
shilsen said:
I can definitely see someone arguing that by the rules, it's not possible. Then again, the 3e MotP had a centaur-like demon (the armanite) which was treated as having the Mounted Combat feat for feat selection purposes and Savage Species says that centaurs can take the mounted feats, so there's some precedent for arguing that such creatures can benefit from the feats. It was just a mean enough combo for me to suggest it :)

I agree, I think it should be possible! You're saying that centaur-like creatures should be treated as having Ride skill and Mounted Combat feat for purposes of qualifying for the other feats? Works for me :D

Darklone

Piratecat said:
You'll be amused to know that the group spent half the game splitting up loot and grinning at their new-found wealth, and half the game trying to identify a wheel of moldy cheese. I'm guessing that this will get used NEXT game. :)
Gamegroups all over the world are sooooo similar :D :lol:

Remove ads