• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of Scrolls Carried

IronWolf

blank
Just got word back and it's not available to my character. What is available seems pretty restrictive. I guess since my char isn't a noble and doesn't have connections to a criminal organization or some dark organization like some of the other characters in the party does. Or maybe the item is only available for sale in the Greyhawk world which would likely take many planeshifts and travel time to get to from Ebberon. Likely tens of thousands of gold to pay a plane shifter & whatever sorts of transportation will be needed along the way.

I should start thinking if I want to be in the group or just quit. Seems pretty overly restrictive to me.

I wouldn't quit just yet unless you have other bad vibes coming from the game already. Talk to the DM and find out why it isn't available. As Jacob Marley noted, it may not be available because you haven't come across the right person to sell you one. You might need to role play that out a bit, pound the pavement to find someone that deals in those types of items. It can vary from campaign to campaign what is readily available.

In the meantime, buy a mule and let it carry all your heavy stuff while you carry a backpack full of scrolls. ;)

Kulstor

First Post
I got rid of all the scrolls my character had, except for the 5 repair light scrolls, and the 1 repair moderate scroll that one of the clerics had access to since she's a noble. It seems I"ll likely have to either pay someone who can planeshift and get to greyhawk since when I researched the Heward name in collection to d & d from what I found out the character lived in greyhawk so I guess those backpacks are only available there. I guess the Heward character was played by someone who was in one of Gary Gygax's groups. I guess it'll cost 50,000 Gp at least for those services. and whatever other travel expenses are needed to be payed for to travel to a place on whatever plane so the planeshifter can shift then from there to Greyhawk. Then there is the return trip.

Seems like a lot for just a backpack that is bigger on the inside then the outside like some of the various doctor's pockets, especially the 4th doctor's pockets. Not like I want a ring of wishes or anything super powerful like that, or for the character to become a god eventually.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
It seems I"ll likely have to either pay someone who can planeshift and get to greyhawk since when I researched the Heward name in collection to d & d from what I found out the character lived in greyhawk so I guess those backpacks are only available there. I guess the Heward character was played by someone who was in one of Gary Gygax's groups. I guess it'll cost 50,000 Gp at least for those services. and whatever other travel expenses are needed to be payed for to travel to a place on whatever plane so the planeshifter can shift then from there to Greyhawk. Then there is the return trip.

Well, the three core rulebooks (PHB I, DMG I, and MM I) used a lot of material from the Greyhawk campaign setting; and a little from Forgotten Realms. Most DMs generally drop the specific names or refluff Greyhawk and Realms material to fit into other campaign settings. Heward's Handy Haversack becomes Handy Haversack, Tenser's Floating Disk becomes Floating Disk, Red Wizard requirements change, etc.

The d20srd has already changed a number of spell and item names so as to not reference Greyhawk or the Realms.

Do talk to your DM as he may have a very good reason for why this item is currently unavailable to you.

Though, I will say, a Handy Haversack -- while very nice to have -- is by no means a requirement for a Wizard. Nor is using scrolls, for that matter. I am currently playing a 13th level Wizard, who has never owned a Handy Haversack, and has probably cast less than one handful of spells off of scrolls in his adventuring career.

Kulstor

First Post
He hates for me to ask questions.

I have no familiar at the moment. I bet if I said I wanted a bat familiar I'd have go to ravenloft to get one. or go to the plane of air to get a hawk familiar.

I decided it's likely my char will buy and make no scrolls since they are way to heavy.

Guess I should have done a wizard similar to the character in the rune soldier anime. Put 18 into strength and 8 or 10 into intelligence & that way have a big muscled stupid wizard but he'd have no problems carrying his gear.

irdeggman

First Post
Didn't know you could have more then 1 spell on a scroll, but that is handy to know also. I guess 1 spell inscribed on each side of a scroll.

Nope, they are sequential.

From the SRD (also in the DMG pg 237-238)

Physical Description: A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8 1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8 1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each extra spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.

To protect it from wrinkling or tearing, a scroll is rolled up from both ends to form a double cylinder. (This also helps the user unroll the scroll quickly.) The scroll is placed in a tube of ivory, jade, leather, metal, or wood. Most scroll cases are inscribed with magic symbols which often identify the owner or the spells stored on the scrolls inside. The symbols often hide magic traps.

The DMG lists scrolls with up to 6 spells on them (in the random treasure generation section for scrolls tables 7-20, 21 and 22.

irdeggman

First Post
Ask about eternal wands (Eberron Campaign Setting Book pg 265)

For a 1st level spell it costs 850 gp but allows casting the spell contained 2 times a day (no charges).

0-level spell versions cost 460 gp

2nd level spell versions cost 4,420 gp

3rd level spell versions cost 10,900 gp

What Str does your PC have anyway?

irdeggman

First Post
As pointed out from others the "name" of the item is only a historical thing.

Don't assume it is a Greyhawk only item - if so then all of the "named" spells - the Bigby's spells, Melf's Acid arrow and the like would be unavailable since they are named for the wizard who invented them (all pretty much from the Greyhawk setting).

Kulstor

First Post
He has an 8 strength.

Wish I had put the 18 into his strength instead. He is currently about 9 pounds away from being heavily encumbered. part of this his having to carry food and water, though a warforged does not eat. And a bedroll since everyone has to have the starting equipment in the book listed in their class.

I assumed that though he needs 8 hours of rest to restore his spell points that he'd not need a bedroll but could do something like mediate like I think elves do since I think they don't really sleep. The bedroll is pretty heavy. if I took 1 level of monk, assuming there are monks in his ebberon, I could throw the quarterstaff in the trash and save some weight since then his fists would do as much damage as the quarterstaff.

I asked and there are no eternal wands, though the idea does sound neat. I'm restricted to only level 0 and 1 scrolls and what is in the player's handbook 3.0 and 3.5. One of the clerics can get level 2 scrolls since she is a noble. Not sure if the clerics are fully restricted to the player's book, I'd guess not since one of them wanted to use a spell from the book of vile darkness and the dm just said he'd have to be told in advance if he wanted to use any spell from that book. I guess they are nasty spells.

I do have to seriously think if I want to continue in this group or not. It seems very restrictive.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
We need more information here.

What are the PCs stats?

What level?

What race? Eberron races have different peculiarities about them then do the standard ones.

An 8 Str, while extremely limiting can be overcome. You PC should not be carrying the party's supplies - unless you get a bag of holding of something like that.

What was the starting gold you had to purchase initial equipment?

Sharn is a very, very complex city and there are many different localities there. Where is the group "based" - this determines the access to equipment more so then the PC's background.

And oh yeah if you are taking all the "repair" scrolls and spells to "heal" the warforged then logic says the PC will "owe" you since those spells are basically for repairing constructs, like a warforged and not a whole lot else.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
I would reccomend the Infinite Scrollcase from MiC. Despite its name, it holds 50.

As long as the backpack or scroll case is large enough than as many scrolls and wands as they like.

They just need to be able to afford them and have time to get them. And with all those extra spells from non-core books there are likely to be gaps somewhere regardless.

Of more concern to me is how easy it will be for a caster to reach those items during battle as rummaging round in the backpack at this time could be a problem.

My solution to this is to have the player note which scrolls and wands are in combat ready locations and which are not. For instance Fireball should be easily reached, but Knock may be in the backpack until needed.

Remove ads