• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of Scrolls Carried

Kulstor

First Post
Not sure what MIC means. I can ask about the infinite scrollcase, but I bet he will say it doesn't exist. His Ebberon must be post holocaust or something since there seems to be no magic items beyond level 0-2 scrolls with level 2 scrolls restricted to nobles. Not sure about potions. There has to be at least healing potions since one of the group clerics used one on himself last session. As for a bag of holding I guess I'd have to get to Greyhawk or whatever the forgotten realm's world is called to get one.

----------------

Currently my character is level 2, about 700 experience from being level 3. He is a warforged wizard and as for stats he has:

8 Str | 14 Dex | 18 Con | 18 Int | 8 Wis | 10 Cha

For starting equipment you have to start with what is in the package thing under each class. I went with mainly the elven wizard's starting equipment but did a bit of the gnome since a light crossbow has a longer range then a short bow. So my char has to carry around food, water and a bed roll though he doesn't eat or drink and I assume the bedroll is useless since I assume he could sit and meditate for 8 hours to rest, similar to what elves can do. And he is close to being heavily encumbered since gold does have weight also.

No idea what part of the city of Sharn my character is based on. I guess lower down, maybe the cogs or above. I've no real idea since the group seems to move around a lot during an adventure.

It seems very restrictive and I"m about 50/50 about continuing in the group or quitting. Maybe trying to find a pathfinder group instead.

I bet if I choose a bat familiar he'd say I'd have to go to ravenloft or the plane of shadow to get one. And for a hawk I'd have to go to the plane of air or the forgotten worlds world to get one.

If I did continue I was thinking of taking a level in monk, assuming monks exist in his ebberon. Then I could throw the quarterstaff in the trash since his bare fists would do the same damage and that would be less weight he'd have to carry around.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
For starting equipment you have to start with what is in the package thing under each class. I went with mainly the elven wizard's starting equipment but did a bit of the gnome since a light crossbow has a longer range then a short bow. So my char has to carry around food, water and a bed roll though he doesn't eat or drink and I assume the bedroll is useless since I assume he could sit and meditate for 8 hours to rest, similar to what elves can do. And he is close to being heavily encumbered since gold does have weight also.

You might have needed to start with food and water, but just give it away to a homeless person. That should lighten some of the load right there.

Kulstor

First Post
Not sure if that is allowed or not. I guess when he is heavily encumbered his move will drop to 10. He'll be slower then the halfling.

Part of what I liked about the idea of playing a warforged is I like to try rping as unusual races sometimes, and i was thinking I'd have less to carry since he'd not have to carry any food or water. But I was mistaken in that case. Same with the bedroll.

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post
Not sure what MIC means. I can ask about the infinite scrollcase, but I bet he will say it doesn't exist.
MIC is a book, the Magic Item Compendium
A 3.5 book, like most other books that wizards put out there are good things in it and broken things in it.

You are a wizard, you can scribe scrolls and make gold this way. Or you can take all those utility spells in your spell book, that you do not see the need to keep in memory all the time and have them available when needed. Spells like spider climb or knock or a dozens other noncombat but useful spells.

You are the wizard, you should not be carrying many supplies for others but material components for you spells. Your spells should be the primary you help the party with. If they really need more total carrying capability in the party, pitch in for a mule (for the poor), bags of holding, Heward's Handy Haversack or Portable Hole (best, most expensive item of this type in RAW) are the best long term solutions. For short term carrying solutions cast a Tenser's floating disk.

Kulstor

First Post
Those items don't exist. The only magic item that seems to exist is a wand of owl's wisdom and some potions we found in a dungeon last week. I guess they only exist since they were thousands of years old and predate whatever holocaust happened.

The only untility spells the character has are the cantrip ones since I had to start with the ones in the starting package. I've only bought repair light damage and mage armor.

If he's like every other gm I've played under any mule will be quickly eaten by some monster. I've only had 1 group that got a horse and it lasted less then a session before it was eaten.

I guess whatever holocaust is what is responsible for there being no magic items and no spells above level 2 (and the scrolls with those only available to nobles. & not every spell in the player's book even exists.

Not sure if I want to be in this overly restrictive campaign. Should have done a half orc, half dragon or something that gives a bonus to strength and put the 18 into strength so the character would have a 20 or higher strength. seems way to restrictive to me.

As for making scrolls and selling them. He doesn't have very many useful spells to sell and has no store of his own so can't sell any scrolls.

Last edited:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Honestly, if you're not happy in the game, then leave it-- especially if you think you can find another one more to your liking. You'll likely be a lot happier than you sound in your last few posts! ;)

Imho it's better to just leave a game you don't like than to suffer through a pointless miserable experience, and maybe even end up disliking gaming. It's your call, of course, but as many people here are fond of saying, "Life's too short for a bad game!"

irdeggman

First Post
The only untility spells the character has are the cantrip ones since I had to start with the ones in the starting package. I've only bought repair light damage and mage armor.

This is bull since the PHB states on page 57

A wizard begins play with a spellbook
containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those
from her prohibited school or schools, if any;
see School Specialization, page 57) plus three
1st-level spells of your choice. For each
point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has
(see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and
Bonus Spells, page 8), the spellbook
holds one additional 1st-level spell
of your choice

As for making scrolls and selling them. He doesn't have very many useful spells to sell and has no store of his own so can't sell any scrolls.

Well if there aren't a lot of scrolls avaialble to buy then even the 0-level basic ones should be extremely valuable.

Your PC should have had between 900 go and 2700 gp of money based on the wealth by level table in the DMG (pg 135)

DMG pg 199 under starting characters at higher than 1st level states that no single item should be worth more than 25% of total wealth.

So no item that costs more than 225 - 675 gp.

Heward's Handy Haversack has a list price of 2000 gp (outside of your allowable range) - that is probably why it is not available to you.

Also a warforged wizard is a pretty untrustworthy kind of "thing". Warforged are almost exclusively warrior types and almost always perceived as such - so finding someone to "teach" you spells is kind of difficult.

Most consider warforged "property"

Is this a tabletop game or an on-line one?

They have very different gaming dynamics.

Kulstor

First Post
I couldn't choose spells of my choice but had to go with the ones in the starting package. If I had my choice I'd have chosen mage armor and asked if there was any sort of repair spell and started with that one also.

It's a tabletop game.

Guess you're saying I should drop this character and do a boring human wizard. I find rping as a human as very boring since at least 90% in the past across various groups I have been forced to rp as a human. I WON"T rp as a human because of that. and I did mean to put that word in all caps as a sign of how much I'm against rping as a human. Should have gone with a half dragon, then he'd have a larger amount he could carry before he was heavily encumbered. I'd guess it would be at least 80 pounds.

Getting rid of all the scrolls he had and not buying the ones he was going to buy and not making the ones he was going to he now has 1310 gold, and some silver and copper.

There are no such items in that world. Guess it's a post holocaust setting. Also would explain why there are no spells above level 2 and level 2 spells are restricted to nobles. Which makes sense. Since nobles run things they would restrict certain things to themselves only.

Wish he could get money by making scrolls since he may make more money then as a scribe where ever he works as as scribe, but as I said with no shop of his own he can't sell anything.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
You PC knows a noble who could broker the sales.

I am not sure you are familiar with the Eberron world/setting. There are different "houses" of nobles and IIRC only 1 or 2 that control the magic.

Get your hands on a copy of Races of Eberron and look at the racial substitution levels starting on pg 121.

If you want to run a wizard then try a changeling wizard using the racial substitution levels.

The best racial substitution ones in my opinion are the shifter druid.

Although the warforged artificer is pretty good too.

If you want to run a warforged go with artificer instead of wizard - fits the race a lot better even though it takes a hit on the prime ability (Charisma)

In an Eberron setting I would be remiss if I didn't recommend a Kalashtar psion though.

Now if the DM is not allowing psionics then leave the game (if you want to play an Eberron setting) - psionics are an integral part of the setting, only slightly less in Eberron than in Dark Sun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads