• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of Scrolls Carried

Kulstor

First Post
No, after I had to start with the spells in the starting package elven or gnome wizard the only new spells I've gotten were ones I have bought. 1 I bought between the 2nd and third sessions was repair light damage and only recently was I able to buy a mage armor scroll to add to his spell book, paying 100 gold to put the repair light damage into his spell book and the same to etch, carve, however it works, onto his body so he can prepair that 1 spell even if he does loose his spellbook.

Plus the only benefits he has to having an 18 intelligence is that all the intelligence based skills that he can use have a +4.

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Guess you're saying I should drop this character and do a boring human wizard. <snip> Should have gone with a half dragon, then he'd have a larger amount he could carry before he was heavily encumbered. I'd guess it would be at least 80 pounds.

Aside from the "Elf Wizard Starting Package" and 1,310 gold pieces, what else are you carrying? Is there something specific about Warforged that affects carrying capacity? Are you carrying all of this equipment on you at all times?

Most of the equipment you are carrying is unnecessary, irrelevant, or can be converted into easier to carry items. You do not need to carry the Waterskin, Rations, or Bedroll. That alone will save you 10 lbs. You can convert gold into platinum or gems. Assuming platinum, you can will have 131 pieces or 2.62 lbs. Those changes alone will put you at 19.62 lbs.; well into light load. If you can't convert gold into platinum or gems, consider repurchasing those 1st level scrolls and putting them into scroll cases in your backpack. It would still be substantially less weight than you are carrying now.

For reference:
Strength (08)
Light 26 lbs. or less
Medium 27-53 lbs.
Heavy 54-80 lbs.

Elf Wizard Starting Package
Quarterstaff 4 lbs.
Crossbow, Light 4 lbs.
Backpack 2 lbs.
Waterskin 4 lbs.
Rations, Trail (per day) 1 lb.
Bedroll 5 lbs.
Sack 1/2 lb.
Flint & Steel -
Candles (10) -
Case, Map 1/2 lb.
Parchment (3) -
Ink (1 oz. vial) -
Inkpen -
Spell Component Pouch 2 lbs.
Spellbook 3 lbs.
Bolts (10) 1 lb.
Gold Pieces (1,310) 26.2 lbs.
Total 53.2 lbs.

Dross

Explorer
Those items don't exist. The only magic item that seems to exist is a wand of owl's wisdom and some potions we found in a dungeon last week. I guess they only exist since they were thousands of years old and predate whatever holocaust happened.

The only untility spells the character has are the cantrip ones since I had to start with the ones in the starting package. I've only bought repair light damage and mage armor.

If he's like every other gm I've played under any mule will be quickly eaten by some monster. I've only had 1 group that got a horse and it lasted less then a session before it was eaten.

I guess whatever holocaust is what is responsible for there being no magic items and no spells above level 2 (and the scrolls with those only available to nobles. & not every spell in the player's book even exists.

Not sure if I want to be in this overly restrictive campaign. Should have done a half orc, half dragon or something that gives a bonus to strength and put the 18 into strength so the character would have a 20 or higher strength. seems way to restrictive to me.

As for making scrolls and selling them. He doesn't have very many useful spells to sell and has no store of his own so can't sell any scrolls.

Sounds to me that you need to ask the DM what books his world is from and or what house rules he has so you can make an informed decision about what you want to do. You have mentioned Eberron but also that it seems to be some post holocaust world (which it is in one sense), so how much knowledge of the game world do you have?

Going into the game with this knowledge could prevent most of these problems.

Many a year ago I started with a group that had a powergamer DMing at the time. He had a set of feats so powerful you basically used those for almost everything you wanted to do. It was so bad a psion using a rapier untrained and little in the way of boosting powers was more useful in melee than my strait fighter.

I'd also suggest that the warforged carry around (and buy if need be) all the repair scrolls he can to lighten your load. Really requiring the mage to carry heavy things is silly from a party perspective. Even just to move into spell range to help your party members out is severely limited at a speed of 10'.

Kulstor

First Post
Looks like he'd be at 56 pounds since the only changes from that is he has a scrollcase with 6 scrolls in it. 5 repair light damage and 1 repair moderate, a dagger (since I thought having a knife may be handy to cut rope and stuff and scraping stuff), and the dwarf cleric bought him 20 bolts since the character ran out of bolts during one of the battles & had to rely on ray of frost as his only means of ranged combat, plus however much those 6 scrolls way.

Not sure what being heavily encumbered means. I know almost nothing about Ebberon. Except the bits we've been exposed to so far. I guess it's post holocaust like dark sun is; except folks don't hate mages and plants don't turn to ash when someone casts arcane spells. Never rped in dark sun, but I've read some about dark sun, at least the 2nd edition version.

My character is not to useful in combat. Just using a ray of frost then having to rely on his quarterstaff. At least now, after more then 4 weeks, he finally has mage armor. That should help a little.

Last edited:

Vegepygmy

First Post
Guess you're saying I should drop this character and do a boring human wizard...

There are no such items in that world. Guess it's a post holocaust setting. Also would explain why there are no spells above level 2 and level 2 spells are restricted to nobles. Which makes sense. Since nobles run things they would restrict certain things to themselves only.
It sounds like your DM wants to run a very specific type of campaign: post-apocalyptic, magic-scarce, oligarchical, etc.

Figure out exactly what type of campaign he's running, and embrace it, or run for your life, because there's no middle ground here. And by "embrace it," I mean either accept the stringent limitations on your warforged wizard and revel in the challenge (something very few people can actually do), or switch to the kind of character this type of campaign promotes (probably non-casters).

Or "run for your life," by which I mean quit.

I'd probably just quit.

Dandu

First Post
No, after I had to start with the spells in the starting package elven or gnome wizard the only new spells I've gotten were ones I have bought. 1 I bought between the 2nd and third sessions was repair light damage and only recently was I able to buy a mage armor scroll to add to his spell book, paying 100 gold to put the repair light damage into his spell book and the same to etch, carve, however it works, onto his body so he can prepair that 1 spell even if he does loose his spellbook.

Plus the only benefits he has to having an 18 intelligence is that all the intelligence based skills that he can use have a +4.

My character is not to useful in combat. Just using a ray of frost then having to rely on his quarterstaff. At least now, after more then 4 weeks, he finally has mage armor. That should help a little.
Are you having fun?

irdeggman

First Post
Aside from the "Elf Wizard Starting Package" and 1,310 gold pieces, what else are you carrying? Is there something specific about Warforged that affects carrying capacity? Are you carrying all of this equipment on you at all times?

Most of the equipment you are carrying is unnecessary, irrelevant, or can be converted into easier to carry items. You do not need to carry the Waterskin, Rations, or Bedroll. That alone will save you 10 lbs. You can convert gold into platinum or gems. Assuming platinum, you can will have 131 pieces or 2.62 lbs. Those changes alone will put you at 19.62 lbs.; well into light load. If you can't convert gold into platinum or gems, consider repurchasing those 1st level scrolls and putting them into scroll cases in your backpack. It would still be substantially less weight than you are carrying now.

Echo on this.

Just because you had to start with the package doesn't mean you need to keep all of that stuff around.

Get rid of the food - drop it on the ground or give it to someone else to have it is totally unnecessary for a warforged.

Same with the bedroll.

Also as pointed out you need to find out what house rule the DM is using before making your PC and trying to shoe horn him into an inappropriate role (based on the setting/house rules)

And. . . get your hands on the Eberron information, especially the info on the races.

You shouldn't have jumped in and tried to play a warforged based solely on a brief description of the stat adjustments and racial benefits.

The reason they came to be and history of the race is extremely important.

And as I had pointed out earlier there are other Eberron specific racesmore suitable for playing a wizard or similar type class.

You probably should have looked real strongly at psionics - since they have no material components (hence lighter) and are in integral part of the setting.

irdeggman

First Post
Not sure what being heavily encumbered means.

Get your hands on a copy of the PHB - it is in there (check the index in the back to help you find the page numbers)

I know almost nothing about Ebberon. Except the bits we've been exposed to so far. I guess it's post holocaust like dark sun is; except folks don't hate mages and plants don't turn to ash when someone casts arcane spells. Never rped in dark sun, but I've read some about dark sun, at least the 2nd edition version.

When you say post-holocaust describe what you mean.

Are you in a city?

Is the the world a desert (that is what happened in Dark Sun - completely different than the result of the great war on Eberron)

Eberron is magic rich (always has been) - Dark Sun is not (open use of arcane magic is amost a death penalty from anyone)

He might be running it post great war - but the world was still whole just fractioned into city states.

Go to the Wizards of the Coast site and do an archive search for Eberron information.

here is a link that should help you out.

Eberron Archive

You are playing low level wizard - your best advice is to stay out of combat for now.

When you took the body feat that dropped your warforged's armor you made him very susceptible to melee damage. No longer the naturl armor or light fortification bonuses. But you still got to keep the slam attack (although an Str ruins it)

Dandu

First Post
4 weeks for one first level spell, for a wizard who doesn't know as many first level spells as he should, seems incredibly painful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads