• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of Scrolls Carried

Kulstor

First Post
Guess you're saying warforged and wizards are not good in ebberon, like being a wizard would be a death sentence in dark sun. As for psionics I tried reading it and it seems all jibberish to me.

Thanks for the link.

As for avoiding combat, it's impossible. he gets into melee combat even if he tries to avoid it so that is out.

I thought warforged could be interested, and thought he'd not have to carry around food or water, or any bedding material, which should lighten stuff and being able to repair himself would be 1 less person the healer would have to heal.

I've not seen much evidence that his ebberon is magic rich. mainly just some halflings have some house that you go to to get healed, I guess they are a family of bards or something since I am pretty sure bards have access to some healing spells. and as for what the rest of the world is like outside the city we've never been there. It could be a total void, dancing clowns, tourists, disney land, or something else for all I know. We've not even been to many parts of the city really.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Guess you're saying warforged and wizards are not good in ebberon, like being a wizard would be a death sentence in dark sun.
No, that's not the case at all. In a normal Eberron game, warforged are awesome and wizards are very strong. Magic items are plentiful (though not cheap), and magic in general is almost everywhere.

The problem you're having is that you are not in a normal Eberron game. Your DM is putting a lot of extra restrictions on you. That's one of the choices available to him, of course, because nobody can force him to run the world exactly as presented in the rulebook. But by the same token, the choice of whether to play in that world is yours, because nobody can force you to play a game where you're not having fun.

Based on your posts in this thread, it doesn't sound like you're having much fun.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Kulstor, I get the impression you're not completely following all of the posts. Nobody's really saying that warforged and wizards aren't good in Eberron. That would be kind of weird since that's the campaign setting warforged are from and the setting isn't anti-wizard at all.

So let's get to the questions:

1) Are you having fun?
This is the single most important question when playing in a D&D campaign.​

2) Why are you carrying around stuff you don't need to carry like food and water?
If the DM said you have to start with one of the listed starting packages, that usually doesn't mean you have to stick with everything in that package. Once play starts, you can usually add to or remove from that list​

3) Is the DM preventing your character from getting certain stuff because it doesn't exist (that you know of) or because your character doesn't have the connections to obtain it?
I ask because the you seemed to think you had to go to Greyhawk to get something like Heward's Handy Haversack. It's a pretty standard magic item in all sorts of non-Greyhawk campaigns. Does your DM think it must be obtained in Greyhawk because it has a Greyhawk name?​

4) Is the DM keeping you from having the class features the wizard gets? Do you get 2 free spells per level as the Players Handbook says? Did you start with the full set of cantrips plus a few spells? If not, has he explained why?
There may be justifications for restricting your access to spells, such as running a low-magic campaign. But the rules for the wizard are intended to make sure he always gets a couple new spells as he advances. A wizard without an easy way to add new spells when he gains a new spell-level is significantly hampered.​

5) Why doesn't the DM like you asking questions?
That sounds like a red-flag personality issue to me. A DM really should make himself available to his players' questions since he is their interface with the campaign world.​

Sorrowdusk

First Post
This magical 'holocaust' thing sounds like it sucks. Well, if he wants to run a low magic campaign in a post-apocalyptic homesetting in the future of Eberron (ala the spell plague in FR), I dont know what he expects from spell casters -especially wizards when there are no knowledge of spells over 2nd. :hmm:

What about clerics that pray for divine spells?

What about magic weapons, do they exist? Because if the party wiz wont get access to all the spells he should, and the party wont get any magical gear I question how far you can go. CR is a guideline, but it assumes the party gains so much gold in resoruces. Albeit-I suppose they MIGHT pick up much needed magical gear just by finding it.

Gods forbid you ever encounter a Wraith like I did in my first adventure.

Those items don't exist. The only magic item that seems to exist is a wand of owl's wisdom and some potions we found in a dungeon last week. I guess they only exist since they were thousands of years old and predate whatever holocaust happened.

The only untility spells the character has are the cantrip ones since I had to start with the ones in the starting package. I've only bought repair light damage and mage armor.

If he's like every other gm I've played under any mule will be quickly eaten by some monster. I've only had 1 group that got a horse and it lasted less then a session before it was eaten.

I guess whatever holocaust is what is responsible for there being no magic items and no spells above level 2 (and the scrolls with those only available to nobles. & not every spell in the player's book even exists.

Not sure if I want to be in this overly restrictive campaign. Should have done a half orc, half dragon or something that gives a bonus to strength and put the 18 into strength so the character would have a 20 or higher strength. seems way to restrictive to me.

As for making scrolls and selling them. He doesn't have very many useful spells to sell and has no store of his own so can't sell any scrolls.

Last edited:

Kulstor

First Post
No magic weapons. The cleric found a ring that adds +1 to her armor class. That is the only thing magic the party has, and none of the clerics is yet up to level 3.

I guess one of the clerics use to play a wizard since she still doesn't understand and quickly forgets that she can't do anything with the arcane scrolls like the repair scrolls my char has. I guess it'll come with time.

irdeggman

First Post
No magic weapons. The cleric found a ring that adds +1 to her armor class. That is the only thing magic the party has, and none of the clerics is yet up to level 3.

I guess one of the clerics use to play a wizard since she still doesn't understand and quickly forgets that she can't do anything with the arcane scrolls like the repair scrolls my char has. I guess it'll come with time.

At 3rd level it is not out the norm not to have magic weapons yet and a +1 ring of protection is pretty good.

Remember you have to be at least a 5th level caster in order to make a +1 weapon so. . . .

At this level some masterwork weapons should be popping up and/or available to you though.

The player who used to play a wizard probably explains why she has a familiar when the class (cleric) can't get one. But why the DM let it slide is well peculiar at least.

Kulstor

First Post
It could be because with minor stuff it is easier to give her what she wants since she keeps at the dm or some stuff like that. He has stood his ground concerning certain things but he may have figured this was unimportant enough to not care if she had one or not.

Not sure why she's a cleric if she prefers being a necromancer type of wizard.

The only masterwork items are the ones some of the players have bought for their characters.

Guess if my char gets to level 5 & I pick craft wand as my bonus feat he'll be the first one to make wands in who knows how long.

Remove ads