• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR NuTSR Declares Bankruptcy

NuTSR, owned by Justin LaNasa, has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which will liquidate the company's assets. NuTSR's gross revenue so far for 2023 is $621.93 according to the documents filed in North Carolina. This is balanced against total liabilities of just over $384,000. The company made the news over the last couple of years, emerging in 2020 when then-owners Justin LaNasa and Stephen...

65B1E080-EEE9-45DD-AC2C-C55BD9DB6104.jpeg

NuTSR, owned by Justin LaNasa, has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which will liquidate the company's assets.

NuTSR's gross revenue so far for 2023 is $621.93 according to the documents filed in North Carolina. This is balanced against total liabilities of just over $384,000.

The company made the news over the last couple of years, emerging in 2020 when then-owners Justin LaNasa and Stephen Dinehart registered the defunct TSR trademarks and launched the new venture with the involvement of Ernie Gygax, one of D&D co-creator Gary Gygax's sons. Over the following months, NuTSR generated controversy after controversy, attempted to sue D&D publishers Wizards of the Coast via a crowdfunding effort, and in March 2022 eventually found itself on the receiving end of a lawsuit from them.

tsr_bankruptcy.png

As a consequence of the bankruptcy petition the current lawsuit between WotC and NuTSR is on hold, postponed until March 2024. NuTSR's website is still active.

JLbankr2.JPG

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So ... LaNasta wins? Managed to get $384K worth of something that he owes others for that he doesn't have to pay for. They'll get shortchanged for whatever they delivered and he's fine.

Dausuul

Legend
So ... LaNasta wins? Managed to get $384K worth of something that he owes others for that he doesn't have to pay for. They'll get shortchanged for whatever they delivered and he's fine.
IANAL, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't work like that.

If that $384K was spent on legit business expenses, well, that's the risk you take when you extend credit to a small business. But if it was spent to install a new swimming pool at LaNasa's house, the shield of the LLC gets a lot less solid, and he's going to open his front door one day to find a bunch of wolves. You don't get to treat your business as your personal piggy bank and walk away with the money when it all goes south.

(To be clear, I have no reason to believe LaNasa was doing that. Except, well, everything we've ever seen LaNasa do. But if he was doing that, I don't think it's going to end well for him.)

Vaalingrade

Legend
What?

No!

But they had such a deep and beloved catalog of beloved products! And they had such a caring and compassionate community outreach! Not to mention a rock solid grasp on the legacy of Dungeons and Dragons.

How could this happen?!

God, why did you let this happen?! Take me, not them, Lord! It should have been meeeeeee!

Last edited:

Dr. Bedlam

First Post
As much as people hate them (and rightfully deserved) I hope this doesn't hurt/close the museum. That house is special and the museum despite those involved is/was a good idea.
What this dude has said. That, and I can't help but feel bad for Ernie Gygax. Talk about listening to the wrong people...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads