• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN 2 install help.

KenM

Banned
Banned
So I pick up NWN2 today, I get through the 7 CD install, then it asks for CD 1 again, I put CD 1 in and then get a read error, so I reboot. I try to uninstall my NWN2 folders and game before I try to reinstall. It won't let me uninstall from the control panel, I get a temporay folder error. I go to uninstall my temp folders and I get a message saying one of the files can'r be deleted because its in use. I want to play this game. Atari only has email support. No phone number, heaven forbid they want to help the customers. I hope Atari burns in hell for the pain they have caused me. I want to play this game but I can't because of Atari's screw up.
Can anyone help?

KenM

Banned
Banned
How do i do that? I can find the temp file that stops me from deleting my temp files, but it won't let me remove it because it says its in use. I'm on my Dell laptop since a couple of months ago my hard drive on my desktop died.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmm, is the install process still running? That is, maybe it's running in the background and using that file? You might hit ctrl-alt-del and be sure to kill it, then try to delete that file.

You might also try copying all the files on cd one to a folder on your hard drive, and have it look there if it encounters a read error (sometimes the install program can not read the files on the cd, but windows explorer can. Why, I dunno, but it's a semi-common problem)

Thanee

First Post
KenM said:
I get through the 7 CD install...

Ouch! No DVD-drive? If you do, I'm reasonably sure there is a DVD-Version of NWN2 available in the US, too (I got the UK DVD-Version)... maybe you can swap it to that one where you bought the game (if you have a DVD-drive, that is)?

But that doesn't take care of your problem...

..., then it asks for CD 1 again, I put CD 1 in and then get a read error, so I reboot. I try to uninstall my NWN2 folders and game before I try to reinstall. It won't let me uninstall from the control panel, I get a temporay folder error. I go to uninstall my temp folders and I get a message saying one of the files can'r be deleted because its in use. I want to play this game. Can anyone help?

Did you reboot the laptop already? I suppose so, but if not, do so.

If you want to boot to safe mode, you have to press F8 a few times during the boot process (I think shortly before the Windows logo is shown, pretty much directly after the RAM test, which comes right at the beginning of the boot process).

A bit more exhaustive explanation...
And the Wikipedia about the safe mode...

Try to remove the temporary file there, then reboot normally and try to uninstall again, then install once more.

Bye
Thanee

KenM

Banned
Banned
Thanks, i'll try those later when I get home from work. I have a DVD drive but I grabed the CD ROM version in a rush.

KenM

Banned
Banned
trancejeremy said:
Hmmm, is the install process still running? That is, maybe it's running in the background and using that file? You might hit ctrl-alt-del and be sure to kill it, then try to delete that file.

I did that and none of the programs listed was nything I thought could be an install. I was looking for NWN2.exe, install.exe, and setup.exe Any other common names I should be looking for?

I booted up in safe mode, was able to uninstall all my temporay folders. But when I go to uninstall NWN2 I get the same error message. :(
I did exchange it for a DVD copy though.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
I put in the NWN2 DVD and opened it, ran the setup.exe from the DVD and it seeme dto have installed fine. I was able to download the latest patches, ect. Now to see if it worked.

Remove ads