• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OA on Ranged Disruptive Strike

mostholy2

First Post
I couldn't find a ruling in 4.0 covering OA against immediate interrupts. Specifically, if a bow Ranger is standing adjacent to an enemy and uses his Disruptive Strike power to "disrupt" an attack made by the adjacent enemy, does the enemy get an OA against the ranged immediate interrupt?

By RAW, I don't see anything that suggests that the opponent doesn't get an OA, as the attack is a ranged attack and there wasn't anything I read to suggest that immediate interrupts were not subject to OA.

Oompa

First Post
No.. As said, you cant make OA on your own turn..

* You can’t take an opportunity action on your own turn.
* You can’t take an immediate action on your own turn.

Page 268, PHB

TheMagus

First Post
Keterys is right, the attacker can't take an OA during his own turn. If the ranger is threatened by any other enemies however, then those enemies could take Opportunity Attacks. Each combatant can take one OA during each other combatant's turn, and a Ranged attack will provoke OAs.

The rules for Opportunity Attacks are on pg 290 of the PHB. You can take one OA during each other combatant's turn. Only three things provoke; voluntary movement out of a threatened square, ranged attacks, and area attacks.

Last edited:

mostholy2

First Post
Thanks for the answers. I just had one of my "DOH!" moments. It just didn't seem right for someone to be able to interrupt an interrupt of his own action. Glad it was a simple answer.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanks for the answers. I just had one of my "DOH!" moments. It just didn't seem right for someone to be able to interrupt an interrupt of his own action. Glad it was a simple answer.

Well, it's possible.

We have allies A and B, and enemy X.

On A's turn, A does something that provokes an OA. X takes an OA on A (opportunity action). Since it is A's turn, B uses an Immediate Interrupt power in an attempt to prevent the OA. Since it is A's turn and X has not yet used his own immediate action for the round, X uses an Immediate Interrupt power to prevent B's Immediate Interrupt power from preventing his own Opportunity Attack...

-Hyp.

Arbitrary

First Post
That's why everyone in the party multiclasses Ranger and takes Disruptive Strike.

As soon as one opportunity attack goes off the entire party goes ballistic in a flurry of death and penalties.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

Well, it's possible.

We have allies A and B, and enemy X.

On A's turn, A does something that provokes an OA. X takes an OA on A (opportunity action). Since it is A's turn, B uses an Immediate Interrupt power in an attempt to prevent the OA. Since it is A's turn and X has not yet used his own immediate action for the round, X uses an Immediate Interrupt power to prevent B's Immediate Interrupt power from preventing his own Opportunity Attack...

-Hyp.

Remove ads