• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oa

d12

First Post
Please tell me if I am reading the rules correctly here.

If a wizard makes an area attack while standing next to an enemy:

xxxx
xwex
xxxx

That enemy gets an Opportunity Attack as an interrupt. But the term "interrupt" doesn't mean that the spell is lost if the opportunity attack is sucessful, right?

essenbee

First Post
d12 said:
Please tell me if I am reading the rules correctly here.

If a wizard makes an area attack while standing next to an enemy:

xxxx
xwex
xxxx

That enemy gets an Opportunity Attack as an interrupt. But the term "interrupt" doesn't mean that the spell is lost if the opportunity attack is sucessful, right?
Unless the wizard is killed by the OA...

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The term "interrupt" just means it happens before the wizard casts the spells. If the wizard's alive, not stunned, etc. after the OA then he casts the spell normally.

DSRilk

First Post
Interrupt: "... acting before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost."

It then goes on to give an example about shifting out of melee range invalidating a melee attack, thus stopping it from occurring.

In short, I'm just tossing my interpretation in with what others have said: unless the wizard is left unable to cast the spell (stunned, dead, etc.), it doesn't stop the casting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads