D&D 5E Oath of Annulment (Paladin Subclass)

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
So basically I'm trying to make an anti-magic paladin subclass (think DA templars), with bonuses against elementals and aberrations as well as spellcasters (hence the bonus feature in the beginning). I've got most of it pretty much worked out, except the severely WIP capstone. Any feedback on the subclass, the capstone in particular, would be appreciated. The three spells mentioned in the oath spells that arent on the original spells list are from my collection of homebrewed ones here. I've included alternate spells to be used if you arent into the ones found there (notated in parentheses).

Oath of Annulment

Eldritch Sense
Beginning when you take this oath at 3rd level, any time you use your Divine Sense, you can detect elementals and aberrations in addition to celestials, fiends, and undead. Your Divine Smite deals an extra 1d8 damage to these creatures, as well as any creature capable of casting at least one spell.

Oath Spells
LevelSpells
3rddetect magic, shield
5thsilence, nystul's magic aura
9thcounterspell, remove curse
13thbackfire (elemental bane), banishment
17thdispel evil and good, mind fog (circle of power)
Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity options:
Abjure Magic You can use your Channel Divinity to cleanse an area of hostile magic. As an action, you can dispel negative magical effects from allies, and positive effects from enemies. Make a Charisma ability check for each spell effect of up to 6 creatures within 20 feet of you, starting with the ones closest to you (the DC is 10 + the spell's level). On a success, that effect is ended. You can only dispel one effect on any given creature with a single use of this ability.
Turn the Arcane As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each elemental or aberration within 30 feet of you that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. If the creature is native to a plane other than the one you are on and it fails its saving throw by 8 or more, it is instead banished for 1 minute.

Aura of Warding
Beginning at 7th level, you grant yourself and any allies within 10 feet of you resistance to damage from spells. At 18th level the range of this aura increases to 30 feet. You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

Spellbreaker
Beginning at 15th level, when you make an ability check to dispel a magical effect with your Channel Divinity, or with the dispel magic or counterspell spells, you can add your proficiency bonus to the check. Also, when you use your Divine Smite on a creature that is concentrating on a spell, it automatically fails its saving throw to maintain its concentration.

Eldritch Champion
For 1 minute
· immune to damage from spells
· adv on saves vs spells
· you can use cleansing touch without expending uses

Spellshield
2nd Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 50 Feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute.
Choose a creature you can see within range. That creature is prevented from casting spells or using magical abilities unless it makes a successful ability check with its spellcasting ability vs your spell save DC. On a success, the creature casts the spell or ability as normal, but on a failure the usage is consumed and the spell or ability has no effect.

Backfire
4th Level Transmutation
Range: 30 Feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute
Choose a creature you can see within range. The next time it casts a spell, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, it takes Necrotic damage equal to 1d10 times the spell's level, and the spell fails (the spell slot is still consumed), and this spell ends. On a success, it takes only half as much damage and the spell does not fail. A creature is unaware it has been affected by magic, both before and after attempting to cast a spell, unless it either succeeds on an Intelligence (Arcana) check vs your spell save DC, or has some way of sensing magic, such as the detect magic spell.

Mind Fog
5th Level Enchantment
Range: 60 Feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute
You create a 20 foot radius sphere of thin blue vapors centered on a point you choose within range. The vapors spread around corners. It lasts for the duration or until strong wind disperses them, ending the spell. Its area is lightly obscured. Creatures in to fog's area have disadvantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma save and checks and must make a Constitution saving throw to be able to cast a spell, as well as make the throw at the beginning of its turn if it is concentrating on one, as the magic clouds the creature's mind.

Again, any input would be helpful, thanks :)
UPDATE: There is a link to a homebrewery version of the class that includes the spells, I'll leave the original text here just in case also

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Abjure Magic seems complex. i don't know how to simplify it, but for a low level ability it is bulky.

Eldritch Champion does not have a level assigned to it.

I love the Backfire concept. My only complaint and it's tiny, is that the damage should be the primary type dealt by the spell, or radiant (Paladin) if no type of damage is listed.

Mind Fog seems fun.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Mind Fog and Backfire were the way they are before I made this one, I jsut included them because they fit the theme. Eldritch champion is supposed to be the level 20 ability, but I've been having trouble fleshing it out (thats why there's no flavour or anything written up in there, its just my concept atm, basically). Abjure magic... I had the same thought at first (you should have seen it in its initial form, was almost 3 paragraphs) but I feel that in this iteration its about as simplified as it can get without sacrificing function, and I've definitely seen wordier/more complicated abilities (Wild Shape, Visions of the Past, etc)

As for the backfire suggestion, my only issue with matching the damage type to the spell is that not all spells do damage.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Haven't worked on D&D things for a long time, just coming back to some old threads to update links to the final versions. Probably won't be responding/updating anymore but perhaps others will find it a useful resource

Remove ads