D&D 5E Obelisks? [spoilers YES]

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it's more of the JJ Abrams approach. Seed the adventures with unexplained stuff, then decide what they actually mean afterwards.
Bit of Column A, bit of Column B. J. J. Abrams might have been running his programming like a DM the whole time.

They do have a sketch of what they plan to do that goes forward a couple years, and ambitions that stretch beyond that. Witchlight was cooking for Perkins in the backbones for a decade. I think that's enough for them to know what sort of cameos to sprinkle to get those reactions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So a closer look on what Ed Greenwood has said recently:

Screenshot_20231109_202326_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_202604_Chrome.jpg

So, Greenwood is constrained from going into detail about the inside scoop for Jergal because of NDA for stuff he knows about that WotC is working on. And both of these comments came after Jergal showed up in Early Access for BG3 as a randomly helpful assistant, so it is likely related to that. However, an ascended Soelkweaver God of death who inspired the Nethril Empire still feels very relevant what WotC has been laying down, and that could explain Jergal's random and understated presence in BG3.

So, Greenwood is constrained from going into detail about the inside scoop for Jergal because of NDA for stuff he knows about that WotC is working on. And both of these comments came after Jergal showed up in Early Access for BG3 as a randomly helpful assistant, so it is likely related to that. However, an ascended Soelkweaver God of death who inspired the Nethril Empire still feels very relevant what WotC has been laying down, and that could explain Jergal's random and understated presence in BG3.
Eh, I wouldn't say "random". Bhaal of course has always been part of the BG game franchise, and in BG3 Bane and Myrkul also are important. So it's not surprising that Jergal is involved as well. Granted, the extent to which Jergal is involved is somewhat surprising; so while his involvement itself isn't unwarranted, the degree of his involvement might very well indicate some sort of tie-in.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh, I wouldn't say "random". Bhaal of course has always been part of the BG game franchise, and in BG3 Bane and Myrkul also are important. So it's not surprising that Jergal is involved as well. Granted, the extent to which Jergal is involved is somewhat surprising; so while his involvement itself isn't unwarranted, the degree of his involvement might very well indicate some sort of tie-in.
True, true: I wouldn't really have thought that much of it, as deep a cut as Jergal is, except that I just found out that he is a Spellweaver and tied to Nethril, which juat fits too many pieces of this Obelisk puzzle. That and slow-rollomg his identity in BH3, which is sus...

Last edited:

Remove ads