D&D 5E Obelisks? [spoilers YES]

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Jergal has always been mysterious.

Also clearly not human in origin. Though where was it stated he was originally a Weaver?
View attachment 324827View attachment 324828
It's a very, very deep lpre cut near as I can make out. It does seem to be confirmed by Greenwood and other "Lote Master" types, like Eric Boyd, who actually pit oit this prodict on the DMsFuild in the not too distant past with, apparently, Greenwood's blessing:

It's a very, very deep lpre cut near as I can make out. It does seem to be confirmed by Greenwood and other "Lote Master" types, like Eric Boyd, who actually pit oit this prodict on the DMsFuild in the not too distant past with, apparently, Greenwood's blessing:

Jergal was presumably in the 1st edition FR (published 1987), but I can't find any sources older than 2nd edition. Seems deeply suspicious to me....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Jergal was presumably in the 1st edition FR (published 1987), but I can't find any sources older than 2nd edition. Seems deeply suspicious to me....
Doesn’t appear in the Grey Box, or in Forgotten Realms Adventures.

Wouldn't surprise me if Jergal primarily appeared in novels at first?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Insofar as that goes, it's fine. But please, WotC, don't start trying to link all the adventure settings into one giant meta-plot that risks all of the multiverse, yada, yada.
Actually, in this case, the point seems to.be to kill metaplot by making it very clear in the texts that the DM is the arbiter of the universe. But also allow crossovers, if a DM wants that tool.

I also can't find any mention of Jergal prior to the 1993 FR boxed set. Curious!
I'm pretty sure he first appeared in the novel Prince of Lies, which also came out in 1993. I think that was published before the boxed set. Either way, they had obviously coordinated the novel and the set to include him. He definitely wasn't mentioned before that time - I remember reading the novel when it came out and how intriguing the character was.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm pretty sure he first appeared in the novel Prince of Lies, which also came out in 1993. I think that was published before the boxed set. Either way, they had obviously coordinated the novel and the set to include him. He definitely wasn't mentioned before that time - I remember reading the novel when it came out and how intriguing the character was.
And that appears to be where the main really spellweaverish photo on the Wiki comes from.

Found this from Greenwood:

"Hi again, all. Ed just sent me another e-mail, in which he regretfully noted that Jergal is too NDA'd for him to say much about Jergal's mortal existence before ascension. However, he added this enigmatic comment:"

"Much has yet to be revealed about the spellweaver race and about the racial past/development of the thri-kreen. Both of which have a connection to Jergal (in one case to his mortal self AND his divine self, and in the other only to his divine self).
There. NDAs avoided by one of deftest dances I've had to do in a long time. :}"

"So saith Ed. Who promises a reply to Joran re paladinhood, next.
love,
THO"

Remove ads