[occ] Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

81Dagon

Explorer
I will make no secrets that I’m not the most familiar with Golarion, but I am an old hand at Planescape and if there is one thing that I’ve always loved, its adventures with demons and the Abyssal Lords. I’m am massively excited for the PDF release of the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path in five days and am hoping to GM it as it releases. I know that not everyone is thrilled by the idea of a mythic adventure and that it will take a long time to do on forums, but I was curious if anyone else would like to join in as PCs to take a crack at it.

PZO9073-Cover.jpg

Website: https://sites.google.com/site/wrathoftherighteouspbp/

[sblock=archive]
The Info:

Number of PCs: Five
Classes: Any pathfinder class. Psionics are okay.
Races: Any standard race is okay. I’ve also adapted several monstrous races to LA +0 (10-13 RP) versions using the rules of the ARG on my blog, which has a link below. I would be more than happy to allow you to use one of these races, or to work with you to create another 10 RP monstrous race if their background and motivations work with the campaign.
Ability Scores: Generate using 20 point buy
HP: Full at first level, then half+1 at each level afterwards.
Starting gold: Class standard
Alignment: Any non-evil, although I am willing to entertain the idea of neutral characters working for other forces of evil that are opposed to the Abyss (such as Hell) as long as they are willing to work with and take orders from Good PCs and NPCs, and as long the party still averages on the side of light and justice. See character tips below for more details.
Background: Does not need to massive, but personal character arcs are part of this AP, so you need to give me enough to work with. I’m going be putting effort into tying your background in to the campaign, so please put the effort into your story first! Also, you get one campaign trait which should tie into your background
Traits: Everyone gets two, plus an additional campaign trait from the Wrath of the Righteous Player’s Guide. I’m willing to be flexible with the backstory behind each of these traits though, so you you don’t have to use them verbatim.

I’ve also copied the following out of the Player’s Guide for ease of reference and to spark some ideas:
[sblock=Character tips]
How should you prepare for the dangers that await you in the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path? Just keep the following in mind when creating your character. These hints, suggestions, and character options are designed to help you create characters perfectly suited to jumping right into—and excelling over the course of—this mythic campaign.
Alignment: The theme of good versus evil is paramount throughout Wrath of the Righteous, more so than law versus chaos. Good-aligned characters make the most sense for this Adventure Path, be they lawful, neutral, or chaotic. Whether you play a lawful good hero or a character with more flexible morals, it’s important that your character be easily motivated to go to the Worldwound and fight demons. It‘s also a good idea, as in any campaign, to make your choice in a way that won’t be disruptive to the party. The disruption caused by bringing different alignments into the party will vary from group to group, so the best way to make sure that your choice works is to talk with your group about what you’re planning.
Bringing Friends: Friendly NPCs will be playing significant roles as allies throughout the Adventure Path, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring your own friends. Small or Medium eidolons and animal companions will be more appropriate early in the campaign, and as early as the second adventure, larger companions and mounts will have numerous chances to shine. There are elements of travel, so you don’t need to elave your mount at home.
Classes: Wise generals use every tool available, and as such all disciplines are used in the fight against the demons of the Worldwound. You can find a place for a character of any class in Wrath of the Righteous, but some choices might seem especially appropriate. The paladin is an obvious choice, but any good-aligned religious class is certainly appropriate. This includes clerics (particularly with martial archetypes, like Crusader), inquisitors, or even oracles with the battle mystery. Cavaliers also make fine crusaders, particularly those sworn to the order of the star or to the various battlefield orders. Rangers who choose evil outsiders as their favored enemies are also particularly valuable. Though much of this Adventure Path concerns itself with martial elements and divine magic, it doesn’t leave out arcane casters. Sorcerers and wizards with talents for conjuration will find places to shine in the Adventure Path, and knowledge of the planes is important for those who fight against demonkind.
As you contemplate what class your character will be, consider the new options you will potentially have from Pathfinder RPG Mythic Adventures. Mythic paths are not tied to specific classes, but certain classes get more benefit out of particular paths.
Crusading Faiths: The faiths of Abadar, Iomedae, Sarenrae, Shelyn, and Torag are the most active among the crusaders of Mendev, although those of other good deities and empyreal lords (particularly Desna or the Empyreal Lord Pulura) have important roles to play as well. Faith in a deity is not required, but many of the allies and resources you’ll be encountering have ties to the good deities of Golarion.
Demons and Other Foes: Demons are the primary foes you’ll be facing in Wrath of the Righteous, but chaotic evil outsiders are far from the only enemies you’ll encounter. Humans, dwarves, and native outsiders are common as well, in the form of cultists and other opponents. Undead, aberrations, magical beasts, and vermin enemies will also be encountered relatively often.
Origins: People from all over the Inner Sea find their way north to Mendev, offering their swords to fight against the demons of the Worldwound. As such, your character can reasonably originate from anywhere in the Inner Sea. The Adventure Path begins in the crusader city of Kenabres, so make sure that your character has a reason to enlist in the fight and venture to Kenabres. The campaign begins on a holy day, so perhaps your character made a pilgrimage to Kenabres to celebrate the day prior to swearing herself or himself to the cause. A short primer on the city of Kenabres is included in this Player’s Guide on page 9.
Paladins: This Adventure Path is an excellent choice for paladin characters—not only are there a lot of foes paladins shine against, but from a roleplaying standpoint, the crusade against the Worldwound is tailor-made for paladins. Keep in mind, though, that there will be points during your adventure where things will look dark, and you will be presented with some difficult moral and ethical choices at times—in addition, make sure to read the notes on redemption on page 11.
Races: Outnumbered and facing an assault from evil outsiders, the crusade today has no compunctions regarding race when it comes to outfitting its forces. Able-bodied men and women from all races are welcome so long as they are willing to fight the good fight. At one time tieflings were distrusted and shunned, but now some of the fiend-blooded fight alongside aasimars while defending Mendev or striking against the horrors of the Worldwound. Many tiefling crusaders claim that their blood makes them the best suited to fighting demons, and they also have defenses that help them shrug off some of the demons’ deadliest attacks.
In addition to defending the continent from demonic horror, a fair number of dwarves who have joined the crusades battle the Worldwound in hopes of reclaiming a lost Sky Citadel within its borders.
While nearly every human ethnicity in the Inner Sea region can be counted among those who fight against the Worldwound, some say the Kellids are the most passionate about healing the Abyssal wound. Their homeland of Sarkoris fell when the Worldwound opened, and many Kellids in Mendev’s army fight not only to ensure the safety of future generations, but also to redeem their ruined homeland.
Redemption: Not every evil NPC in Wrath of the Righteous is meant to be killed. Now and then, you’ll encounter NPCs who are working hard to be redeemed, or otherwise working against their evil natures. Wrath of the Righteous will give characters several opportunities to redeem and guide NPCs and organizations alike toward the path of righteousness. Redemption might also be a personal mission for your character. Perhaps your character decided to fight for the crusades as a way to purge a tainted past.[/sblock]
Do I have any takers?
[sblock=party slots]
Slot 1 - Melee combat: Medjai Issa, LG Male Motherless Tiefling Paladin of Sarenrae (Touched by Divinity)
Slot 2 - Skill monkey: empty
Slot 3 - Magical healer: empty
Slot 4 - Magical blaster: Hananyelthia Mitholthir, CG Female Elf Wizard (Riftwarden Orphan)
Slot 5 - Ranged striker: Jorgun Revendka, LN Male Human (Kellid) Inquisitor of Erastil (Touched by Divinity)[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Map of the Worldwound]
Map of the Worldwound.png
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Space_Titanium

First Post
I'd be interested in trying out the new AP. I'm looking to try PbP gaming out and this seems like a good fit.

Potential character ideas:
-Tiefling ranger trained to fight the corruption that is responsible for her miserable body (traits: Exposed to Awfulness/Stolen Fury)
-Disgraced human cavalier attempting to reclaim some element of her lost honor (traits: Chance Encounter/Child of the Crusade)
-Kellid oracle or inquisitor of Erastil hoping to reclaim and recolonize his family's homeland (traits: Stolen Fury/Touched by Divinity)
-Half-elf witch trying to challenge Mendev's presumptions against witchcraft (traits: Exposed to Awfulness/Riftwarden Orphan)

What do you think?

Leif

Adventurer
Expressing my interest

I am greatly intrigued by the AP. Regarding character choice, I tend to keep it simple where mechanics are concerned and rely upon roleplaying to diversify. In this case my first choice would be a human cleric of Sarenrae.

Sorry, guys, I'm going to have to take that back. I've got a very sufficient array of games to play and GM at present, and if I let myself be stretched any thinner, all will suffer, so as much as I'd like to play, I must decline.

Last edited:

81Dagon

Explorer
Space: All of those would be excellent characters! The only one I wouldn't play personally is the second, but that's just my taste, all four would work from a GM's side of the screen.

Leif: Sorry to hear that, I've been there too!

Everyone: The way I'm going to pick PCs is using a slot system. Once someone has completed their character, it will fill one of five slots in the party. The first four are melee combat, skilled striker, magical damage and magical healing, since the basic parties the adventure paths are designed for have all four of those aspects. The fifth spot is a flex position that can be filled by anything. When you start a character sheet, please let me know which slot you are hoping to fill, but be aware that if someone else finishes a character for that slot first, I will give it to them.

EDIT: One other idea I stumbled upon that I'm going to add for the campaign traits, each one now offers a choice between two Mythic Paths. It also bears reminding that the Mythic Paths are not tied to specific classes and work with all of them.

Traits and Pathes
Chance Encounter: Trickerster, Marshel
Child of the Crusade: Marshal, Guardian
Exposed to Awfulness: Guardian, Archmage
Riftwarden Orphan: Archmage, Champion
Stolen Fury: Champion, Hierophant
Touched by Divinity: Hierophant, Trickster

Last edited:

Space_Titanium

First Post
I think I'll go with the Kellid - for some reason the idea seems to really gel in my mind. I'll get a character sheet done up today. Is there any specific way you want it posted?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
This sounds really cool to me - I'd love to play!

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Tiefling Paladin, seeking to prove to the world that one can overcome one's 'baser nature' through a will to good works and self-enlightenment.

Any chance you're using the alternate Tiefling heritages and abilities?

jackslate45

First Post
I have heard very little about this adventure path, so reading that description has gotten me all fired up.

I was thinking a buff cleric of Iomedae, focusing on the Herosim and Tactics sub domains.

Space_Titanium

First Post
I have a character done up for perusal:

Jorgun Revndka (ranged inquisitor of Erastil, campaign trait Touched by Divinity)
-Family evacuated Sarkoris toward Mendev earning contempt of more "loyal" Kellids
-Struggled hard to help develop community for refugees
-Church noticed Jorgun's strong ties to Erastil, but due to his temperament and the schemes of the inquisitor sect Jorgun was trained to be fight demons
-Took the name "Reclaimer" instead of his family name

I have him all stated up and I'll flesh out his backstory later today.

Remove ads